Running in Las Vegas (Read 77 times)

I'll be in Vegas on the strip for a couple weeks next month and looking for a place to run.

I will fly in at 9AM and was thinking of driving straight to Red Rock Canyon and running the 12 mile scenic loop. I have nothing to do that day.

Also interested in running on the strip in the early mornings. I'll be staying at The Westin or Bally's by the Eiffel Tower and the fountains.

Any advice on these two runs?

an amazing likeness

Might be some info in these previous RA conversations:  link

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Whenever I've been in Vegas I've never had time to go to Red Rock Canyon. If I did, I'd totally do that. I'd run as many miles there as possible.

Running on the strip at 7am is pretty much the most depressing thing  in the world, imo, but worth doing for the experience, if nothing else to appreciate all you have and the fact that your life's circumstances/decisions have NOT led you to be a meth head, prostitute, or homeless drunk (unless you are one of those, in which case, my bad.)

As I said in that other thread, the UNLV track is open to the public and very nice.

My runs in Vegas have been equal parts hotel treadmill, UNLV track and the strip.

Runners run

Red Rock Canyon is a great place to run (and rock climb!)  I'd rather run on a hotel treadmill than on the strip and this is coming from someone who detests treadmills.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

music_girl117

I'm not sure how easy it is to access from downtown, but I was in Henderson a few months ago and ran on this trail in the mornings:

http://www.traillink.com/trail/st-rose-parkway-trail.aspx

It was super; felt very safe and got good views on all sides!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

Looking like some great options. Really looking forward to adding the strip to my "checked off" list even if it is a moving documentary of the ugly side of Sin City.

Feeling the growl again

Definitely do Red Rock if you can, but recognize that calling it "running" on some of the trails is questionable.  It's a great experience but some of the trails are pretty rugged.

Take plenty of water with you.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Half Crazy K 2.0

The only bearable time on the Strip is before 11am. I tried running on the Strip at 2 on a Saturday afternoon. Actually, it was a decent run off the Strip. I ran along the monorail from The Linq and then around the entire back of The Wynn's golf course. Not scenic, but got a run in.

Do not under any circumstances stay at The Flamingo. I capped my run on the Strip off by getting stuck in an elevator. Fortunately, the doors quickly opened and I GTFO. And that wasn't even the low light of our stay there.

I was thinking the scenic route not the trails. 12 miles paved right?

Definitely do Red Rock if you can, but recognize that calling it "running" on some of the trails is questionable.  It's a great experience but some of the trails are pretty rugged.

Take plenty of water with you.

That part is paved, yes.

I was thinking the scenic route not the trails. 12 miles paved right?

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt