Lingering COVID or just very out of shape... (Read 138 times)

BeckstheJogger

I don't know how much I should be worried, so I hope someone can offer some advice. I'm an early 40s woman, if that is helpful...

As of the fall of 2019, I was a half-way decent runner - could run a 7 minute mile, generally could finish a 5k (depending the course) between 24-30 minutes, had done a few half marathons, started doing (and loving) a bit of ultra-running - and then in January 2020, I broke my foot (stupid injury playing with the dogs, not running related). First period of inactivity.

After it healed, I started to return to running, slowly, but then I got COVID (a very mild case). After that, I went into a mental slump and pretty much stopped exercising altogether (other than walking the dogs) from the fall of 2020. 

Now it is mid-2021, and I'm trying to get back into it, and it. is. brutal. I've been out about seven times so far, and I cannot run a mile. My lungs are BURNING. My legs are lead. Coming back from injuries and time off in the past has *never* been this bad or painful, though I've also never been *this* inactive for *this* long. 

I guess my question is...is this normal? I've been pretty active since I was a kid, so I've never had a period of ~10 sedentary months, so maybe this is just the reality of being in really bad shape? Or do I need to worry something else might be going on?

Right now I understand why people say, "I hate running". I don't want to hate running.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I guess my question is...is this normal? I've been pretty active since I was a kid, so I've never had a period of ~10 sedentary months, so maybe this is just the reality of being in really bad shape? Or do I need to worry something else might be going on?

Right now I understand why people say, "I hate running". I don't want to hate running.

More than likely, yes, totally normal after extended time off. It can't hurt to have a physical to make sure nothing is going on.

I had pnuemonia & an "unspecified viral illness" (yea, it was probably covid) in February of 2020. I didn't run at all that month. I needed to sit & rest when taking a shower. The first few runs back were absolutely awful. I was doing about a 1:1 of running and walking, even after a minute or two at what would normally be an easy pace, my heart rate would jump. Each week, it seemed to get a little less awful. It was probably about 2 months before I felt like I was back to where I had been. With a longer layoff, you are mostly starting over, but chance are, if you've been active your whole life, it will come back. It just takes time.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

After a Tri in the summer of 2018, I took like the next six months off. I had personal stuff going on in 2019, so I didn't do a lot of running. 2020 was COVID, so with nothing to train for, I didn't run much until November. It's been hard. I'm just trying to be consistent. The 2021 in 2021 run game has helped a lot, specifically keeping me accountable to hitting my 20 mpw goal.

I did notice that my resting HR has dropped to something decent. At my post-COVID weight my HR when I run is still much higher than I would like. I'm probably close to 35 seconds slower at my easy pace than I used to be, and I haven't done hardly a stitch of tempo/MP work.

So this past week I started counting calories. If I can get my weight down, my pace will improve. Consistency is key to getting back on track. Your pride will also take a few lumps, but you have to roll with it.

- Andrew

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

We've had a few members of our RA community deal with COVID. I think what you are dealing with is very normal. Maybe try doing more walking or doing a walk-run as you build back up. Start from where you are, not where you were before. Your easy pace won't be the same, but you are still a runner. It's in there. It just will take some time. Don't give up. Smile

Older thread but post to it and you'll likely get replies as some of those runners are still around. (I thought they had a group as well but I didn't see it on my quick look.)

Post COVID support group and discussion

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

SMART Approach

Try this and report back. Walk 5 min and then....

-Jog slowly 1 min. Slowly meaning slow.

-Walk 1 minute

-Repeat

Do this for up to 30 minutes and stop. Report back here how it went.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

M58

One thing I noticed after I got past the halfway point (40 years old) is that it takes longer and longer to recover from "down time" or injury. After weeks of no running I'll definitely be surprised at how much effort I have to expend just to run a few miles at what was previously "conversation pace". Having little or no cardiovascular activity for 10 months will definitely take 6-10 months to recover from. And if you're past the halfway point, you're also fighting the decline in performance, so if you get back to where you used to be before the nearly year long absence, you're actually BETTER than you were then.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Maggawyld

[somewhat unusual] link spam
                berylrunner

Rick

Could be both.  I am going on 2 weeks of Covid and the lungs are in rough shape.  I had a good base so I am hoping I don't lose too much fitness.  Some days my legs are lead, others I have spring in my step.  I can do strides or very short interval without much lung burn.  Maybe try that.  Just keep getting out and trying every day.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Julia1971

After it healed, I started to return to running, slowly, but then I got COVID (a very mild case). After that, I went into a mental slump and pretty much stopped exercising altogether (other than walking the dogs) from the fall of 2020. 

I do believe "long COVID" is a real condition but I'm guessing in your case it's more about being out of shape - 10 mostly sedentary months takes its toll.  And, I wouldn't discount the mental toll.  I can understand someone losing interest in something stupid like running Smile after going through that.

FWIW, I was able to run the Boston Marathon about a month after recovering from COVID however, I never got the respiratory symptoms so many people get.  I "just" had a very high fever and muscle cramps.

albertvadas

more worm spam
                      among1

spam
                        dcaguide

Current scientific studies claims that Sodium dichloroacetate can be an effective cancer killing agent if it is properly used.

Many doctors noticed that DCA doesn’t only have antineoplastic properties, it can be used as a supportive treatment for peripheral neuropathy, Alzheimer’s disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and also for diabetic neuropathy. (Ref.) (Ref.)

If you want to try out the life saving and cost efficient Sodium dichloroacetate for yourself or for a loved one, you should explicitly follow the advice of your doctor and carefully start administering it.

Additionally, you should closely monitor your blood serum levels, your overall health and response to this compound. In order to achieve the highest possible results – you should also try to find a proactive and enthusiastic doctor who will work with you.

It is important that you carefully read all instructions from the label in order to prevent heartburn or gastritis. If anything happens that you don’t want (including heartburn), stop taking it immediately and ask your doctor for advice.

If there are any side effects of DCA – it is important that you talk about them with your doctor because they might be a sign of a milder form of peripheral neuropathy or even an interaction with other medications that you’re using.

https://www.dcaguide.org/dca-information/methods-and-supplements-for-preventing-dca-side-effects/