2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

CalBears

Cal - I can't even respond to what you wrote, afraid to put my thoughts in writing 

I will say Cal your training has inspired me a bit. I will never run anything like you are running mileage-wise, but if we do run Boston, I'm getting a little scared about how bad of a shape I'm in and how good of a shape you will be in.

Let's just hope they get this damn vaccine done by end of winter!

Ha-ha-ha JMac - it will take you very serious under-training for me or Mikkey to become a serious danger for you . If its Brew or even Andres, for example, I could see how I can beat them when they are undertrained. But for you, to come back from 2:36 to 2:55 for example - that will require serious effort from you - don't forget, you are talking about 55 yo semi-crippled men  Plus, right now, I do not feel as a very fit man at all - there is still hope I get something after I lower my mileage to more reasonable number but so far I didn't see (and didn't feel) any progress at all comparing to 8 weeks ago, for example.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Anyway, yes, you won't be arrested here, I agree, but I do not know - losing a job in this environment, when everything is on Facebook or Youtube, when you are the only one earning income in a family of four, that might be not better than being arrested. Just marked as a jerk? Do not think so - and things are going in a wrong direction pretty rapidly.

I remember the good old days when we only had 3 TV channels and a phone landline. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

If Jmac had come to our zoom meeting he could have seen some of those 50 year old crippled old men 

Mikey when we moved to NZ in 1975 we had 2 black and white channels. I think the rich people had colour TVs though 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikey when we moved to NZ in 1975 we had 2 black and white channels. I think the rich people had colour TVs though 

We must’ve been in between as my parents had a colour TV and I had a crappy black and white portable one. 😢

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

In the early 80s, US TVs had 2 dials - UHF and VHF - with one being the lower #s and the other being the higher.  In the DC area we had 5 channels total, but two of them were local and just replayed syndicated shows.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I was lucky growing up in the "thumb" region in Michigan; due to proximity we got a Canadian channel (CBC) which had a show with music videos, every Friday for 30 min. Sounds pathetic now but it was a big deal in the 80s, when radio was our main source for music (no cable, no computers, no internet) and seeing videos was a big treat. Also they had excellent coverage of track & field, and showed the 10,000 meter races in their entirety, something the 3 US channels never did. They used BBC coverage for T&F, with Brendan Foster and another guy (can't remember his name), and those guys were the best commentators ever IMHO. Steve Cram and Tim Hutchings later started commentating and they are also excellent.

2:52:16 (2018)

CalBears

We had one channel until probably mid 80s, black and white TV, my first color TV I've got in 91 or 92 I think. But even having one channel during all my childhood I watched all Olympics - summer and winter ones (except the summer of 1984 when USSR boycotted Games in LA) - I watched all the World Hockey Cups, all World Football Cups and all World Biggest Athletics events - all because USSR was very strong in all sports (let's not discuss the reasons - I am pretty sure the others were not saints too . So, there were plenty of sports even with one channel. We were pretty poor like most around us but nobody ever died of hunger or from not being able to go to a hospital or from not having a place to stay - even in Russian colds. Felt pretty secure all those years under Soviet Union. I would say, more secure comparing to my 2017 experience here when my unemployment benefits didn't even cover my cost of health insurance for a family of 4 - not to mention rent and food and other minimal expenses. Not sure why so many people (including plenty of Russians who never lived in the US, of course ) think US version of life is the best one - if it's the best, we live in a very gloomy world (I know, I know, leave if you don't like it - I know... Unfortunately, things were done, kids are growing and it's hard to make a move like this again -  the previous move was done without having kids .

Resident Historian

I was lucky growing up in the "thumb" region in Michigan; due to proximity we got a Canadian channel (CBC) which had a show with music videos, every Friday for 30 min. Sounds pathetic now but it was a big deal in the 80s, when radio was our main source for music (no cable, no computers, no internet) and seeing videos was a big treat. Also they had excellent coverage of track & field, and showed the 10,000 meter races in their entirety, something the 3 US channels never did. They used BBC coverage for T&F, with Brendan Foster and another guy (can't remember his name), and those guys were the best commentators ever IMHO. Steve Cram and Tim Hutchings later started commentating and they are also excellent.

You young guys! We had no TV until I was about 12, then just 2 channel B&W. With a rabbit ears antenna! 

JT -- Geoff Gowan was the other commentator, I think. I met him a few times in the 70's when he was coaching at McMaster U before he started the broadcasting side. I was a tennis player/coach then, and helped out with the tennis team.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Well when I was growing up we lived in a cave and hunted Mammoths 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

You young guys! We had no TV until I was about 12, then just 2 channel B&W. With a rabbit ears antenna! 

JT -- Geoff Gowan was the other commentator, I think. I met him a few times in the 70's when he was coaching at McMaster U before he started the broadcasting side. I was a tennis player/coach then, and helped out with the tennis team.

Longboat: I'd say you win the "When I was growing up..." contest! That's cool that you met the other guy. The UK seems to historically have a greater appreciation for and knowledge of distance running, and it shows in the commentary.  I still get chills watching the 1996 Olympic 10,000m final, especially entering the final lap when Geb begins his kick and moves past Tergat; the call by those guys was incredible.

Piwi: just saw what you posted, maybe you win the argument 

2:52:16 (2018)

Katia77

Hi all! Been a minute and I'm currently still "marathon training" and thought I'd chime in since I actually ran a race last weekend.

The Heber half marathon actually happened last week. They allowed people to be dropped off at the start, did waves of 50 for start (based on anticipated finish time, going from 1-1:30, then every 10 min thereafter; 10 waves total), and required masks at the start and finish. Many people, myself included, brought their own water, but they did have aid stations with volunteers wearing masks/gloves. It was actually a PR for me (1:31:07), and totally downhill, but it started at almost 9,000 feet, so I'm not sure how that factors in. My legs are still pretty wrecked.

In any event, the Big Cottonwood Marathon here is still scheduled to take place, and we'll see if it happens. I thought the Heber Half was well done, and most people were cooperative with safety measures. The start was delayed about 20 minutes and it was COLD, but I was just happy to have the chance to race - most have been canceled/gone virtual.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well when I was growing up we lived in a cave and hunted Mammoths 

Now you live in a cave and hunt Himalayan Tahr?

EDIT:

When I grew up I didn't have HBO or any of the movie channels and I had to rewind them.

Katia Contgratulations on the PR. Hope it's all going well with both kids and life. I think the last time you dropped in you'd just started a new job. Hope that's going well, unless you've moved on to another new job.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Katia77

Ha, no, Brew still at the same job, mostly WFH but I live 2 miles away from my office so I come in a few days a week to work without the noisiest kids yelling all the time. Can't complain - we have a nanny who we've kept, and my dad who lives (lived?) in Canada has been stuck here since March 13. I'm sure he could go back to Canada, where his gf is, but I think he'd rather be stuck here, and he's actually helpful with the kids and will watch them whenever I run and took me to my race - lol like the old gymnastics days.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

CalBears

And another Hadd's test today:

140                150                 160                  170

04/03/20                       8:01             7:16                 6:53                 6:29

05/15/20                       7:48             7:02                 6:32                 6:11

07/03/20                       7:37             7:07                 6:35                 6:13

Looks like the fitness settled down, all signs points toward lowering the mileage and doing some speed block - maybe another week or two though.

Btw, I was running with HRM-RUN chest strap today and Garmin finally decided to detect my LTHR numbers and reported that it's 6:37mpm and 168bpm. I guess that means I might now switch from running Hadd's 10 milers from 150bpm to 155bpm as a next step (I got tired running at 150 bpm anyway 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Local shoe store is advertising they have the new Alpha Zoom Nike percentage shoe. Just in time for CIM training. I expect them to cost more than the Vaporfly.

cal impressive test results. 160 bpm at a 6:35/mi pace is a nice improvement especially when it’s all from easy miles.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22