crashed my bike! (Read 1285 times)

so even though I ran today, I decided to take my bike out, just for a leisurely ride. I have not taken it out in over a year (tsk!) anyways, I walked it .25 miles to the gas station to fill the tires, and then biked 3 miles to the park...then biked 12 miles around the park, then as I was leaving, crashed! My bike is a men's bike, and way too big for me..i was leaving the park and there was a sharp, narrow turn, I knew it would be hard to get around so I went for the brakes and put my legs down to scrap the road to slow down, and boom! right into the guard rail...the bike stayed on the sidewalk and I actually flipped head over heals over the guardrail! Two cars even stopped to make sure I was ok...good thing I had my helmet on lol How embarrassing! Anyways, all I did was scrape up my hands and got a huge, nasty bruise on my left thigh. It could have been worse I suppose, I am just so embarrassed all those people saw! lol
      oh noooo! (((bruised & battered kr)))
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Owie! ShockedBlush Running injuries = generally undramatic, develop gradually, frustrating Cycling injuries = frequently very dramatic, very sudden, humiliating Only thing more embarrassing than cycling injuries are those suffered on (er off) inline skates. I had some BAD bruises to show for that about a decade ago. Glad your worst injury was a bruised pride. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I had a similar experience last year. Pretty exciting isn't it? Glad you are not seriously damaged.
          pitrunner

Yikes! Sounds scary. It's funny though, no matter how much we physically get injured, the humiliation always hurts worse (for me anyway!). Glad you're ok though!
              Cycling injuries = frequently very dramatic, very sudden, humiliating
              I had an intersection where I clipped out on the wrong foot three rides in a row and ended up toppling over. Humiliating is very accurate.
              2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

jules2

Having done the Scottish "Coast to Coast" across some serious mountains without falling off I fell off last week in Norfolk ( the flatest county in England ) on a flat concrete road and at first I though I had broken my leg. You never know whats around the corner.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

The voice of mile 18

well congrats you crossed that milestone off your list. I'm sure JK would be happy to know that every cyclist gets involved in at least one painful crash in their lifetime. it is a right of passage (and is occasionally funny) congrats on your first.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had an intersection where I clipped out on the wrong foot three rides in a row and ended up toppling over. Humiliating is very accurate.
                    My favorite was when I asked DH to tighten my pedals just a skoosh. Apparently he thought an extra turn was a good idea. I came to a complete stop and still could not get either foot out of my pedals...so there I was hovering and saying "oh shit oh shit oh shit" as I did a slow-mo fall to the street on my hip. Really wasn't hurt, just embarrassed and annoyed with the hubby. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My favorite was when I asked DH to tighten my pedals just a skoosh. Apparently he thought an extra turn was a good idea. I came to a complete stop and still could not get either foot out of my pedals...so there I was hovering and saying "oh shit oh shit oh shit" as I did a slow-mo fall to the street on my hip. Really wasn't hurt, just embarrassed and annoyed with the hubby. Tongue
                      I saw the exact same thing happen to my buddy's wife. She screamed the whole way down, which for some reason made it really funny, and everyone got the giggles, which just made it that much worse for her. Nothing was hurt but her pride but she's laying in the street, almost under a parked car, and she's still clipped in and looks like a trapped turtle. She was not amused and took her bike and her husband and went home. My fall was right by the Lincoln Memorial so I had hundreds, perhaps thousands of tourists laughing at me on not one, but 3 occasions. I should search youtube for "idiot falls off bike Lincoln memorial" surely someone had a camera on.
                      2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
                        If God wanted us to ride bikes, he would have given us wheels for riding instead of feet for running...........Bikes scare me........ Tongue Ill stick to running cause every time I get on a bike something bad happend to me....... Confused

Champions are made when no one is watching