Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 641 times)

JMac11

Mark - Is this your third half since your full? How many are you planning on doing?

5K: 17:51 (5/18)  |  10K: 36:21 (9/18)  |  HM: 1:20:39 (5/17)  |  FM: 2:46:17 (11/18) 

Next Race: Who knows

Goal Race: Boston (4/15/19)

Keen/Mark actually thats the first hill run Ive done for a while.

Keen I ran up that hill 30 times in november and had huge elevation for the month. My butt was like steel hehe and I was a hill beast but going back to flat faster paced running was actually hard.

I know you love talking basketball lol....yes they played and beat Phoenix who are lowly ranked although they lost 2 previous games to them and yet can beat Golden State. The old story of the underdog has nothing to lose.

Oh and 67 miles congrats that is proper training and will bring great results.

Roxx nice splits. My last marathon I would have ranged from 4 min/km to 4.20/km on a fairly flat course.

Enric nice week and workouts. I just went and bought 2 unbranded pairs of shorts $6 each !

Jmac good stuff you will be frothing to get racing again.

Mark looks like you have some competition this year! Good planning on pace with those hill sections. Good luck.

Flavio looking foward to Gaga pics hahaha

MJ crime rate is low here. I leave all my shoes by the front door. Good luck if they want those stinky things.

Steve rest it for a day or 2 it wont matter in the big picture at all but could put you out for 8 weeks again if you re injure it.

Temps here in Kiwi land are dropping and my afternoon run yesterday was so much nicer than the usual muggy suckage.

I have had a sore lower right leg for quite a while. Its halfway between my achilles and calf and is sore untill Im warmed up. That leg turns in more when running and sometimes clips my other ankle so is more prone to injury. Its not a major as Im logging low mileage with no workouts.

Part of the problem is I havent got a nice cushioned trainer right now and am rotating 3 pairs of marathon racing shoes.

50+ PBs5k 18:29 Tauranga Parkrun May18   

10k 40:16 June 18

" I have a plan to make my legs longer by wearing shorter shorts "      

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - yes it will be. Although, the February half at Orewa was intentionally not a big effort (partly because I was also undercooked after two weeks snowboarding holiday) and even the December half at Omaha I really ran on feel rather than it being a goal race.

The volume of races is largely a function of the Auckland Half Marathon Series (Sept-Devonport, Dec-Omaha, Feb-Orewa, Mar-Coatesville, Apr- Waterfront).  You go into the series knowing that you need to be tactical in terms of picking your target races as you can't really apply 100% effort at all of them (at least not without compromising training in between).  For me Waterfront is the goal race, but I'll go pretty hard at Coatesville too as there's only 3 weeks in between, so enough time to recover, but not enough time to really change up training etc.

Series-wise, I'm sitting in second at the moment, but third is only 1 point behind me - so I really need to beat him at one or both of these last two races otherwise he'll overtake me.

It's a lot in a short period but it keeps things interesting over summer when I normally don't enjoy training as much.  Then I'll have a good 4 months to focus specifically on training for the Taupo Half Marathon in August.

PRs:

5km: 16:43 (Auckland Corporate Challenge, Nov-17) | 10km: 34:08 (NZ Road Race Champs, Sep-18)

HM: 1:15:40 (NZ Half Marathon Champs (Dunedin), Sep-18) | FM: 2:57:36 (Auckland Marathon, Oct-17)

Last race: Auckland Half Marathon, 28 Oct, 1:16:29

Up next: Corporate Challenge 5km, 21 Nov 

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

I really love the idea of a "series." NYRR does something similar, but it's for running clubs.

Does anybody shy away from smaller 5Ks if you think that they're too casual? Put another way, if you run sub 18 and would win by 2 minutes, would you even sign up for the race? I try to avoid those races because I don't want to be "that guy" who is trying to hard and will only sign up if I see that a) the course is certified and b) at least 5 people ran sub 20 in the previous year.

5K: 17:51 (5/18)  |  10K: 36:21 (9/18)  |  HM: 1:20:39 (5/17)  |  FM: 2:46:17 (11/18) 

Next Race: Who knows

Goal Race: Boston (4/15/19)

jaimegu

Hi, all,

Quick replies as this thread flies:

Roxx, excellent result on a very low volume. Those are pretty even splits so you managed to control your pace and hang in there at the end. Negative splits come from real high volume.

JMac: Already in the 40mpw,  that's great.. No pain at all?  To answer your question, I try to sign only for certified races... I don't care about other runners, since I'm not winning a prize in any distance.

Steve: Better listen to your body... An easy week won't ruin your race, but an injury sure will.  Last year, during the peak week of marathon training, I had to cut short my long run because my knee locked itself and hurt at every step.  I stopped running for 3 or 4 days... I was able to resume later to complete the taper.

Piwi: Careful with that leg

Very nice weeks, Enric, Mark and Keen

At any rate, this thread is fun and will be funnier if we see Flavio Gaga

CommanderKeen

Aspiring Hobby Jogger

Mark - Good week, and that course does look to have a couple gnarly climbs. I like the idea of a race series like that. We only have a hot and a cold themed 5k 3-race series around here. The HOT series is done at 8pm in the middle of the summer, right next to either a river or a lake, so it's quite humid (35C was the lowest temperature we saw for these when I ran them) - I've never done the cold series, but temps there are usually sub-freezing.
              How far behind 1st are you?

Piwi - Those hills will certainly help, and I've noticed running on super-flat ground can get tiring earlier than it should when I'm used to hills. I wish I had a hill like that to train on. I have lots of little rollers, but nothing big.

JMac - Field size isn't too important to me, but I do now avoid races put on by a certain timing company - they've had timing issues in every one of their races I've done. I typically am a stickler for certified courses, and like avoiding out-and-back races. Finding races that aren't on the same courses everyone seems to reuse is also a plus.

Negative splits - I've never come close to this in anything longer than a HM. This may be partially due to me being a bit scared of going all-out for an entire race, leading to me to running a bit conservatively in the beginnings of races. That's something I'll have to get over if I'm ever going to meet my potential.

5k: 18:54 9/18 │ 10k: 38:56 4/18 │ HM: 1:28:01 4/18 │ M: 3:04:13 11/18

Upcoming Race(s):

??

Jmac I dont think hardly any 5ks over here are certified. The only races that ive run that were certified were Auckland and Melbourne marathons. 5ks are pretty casual and aimed at just getting people out there. Our local weekly 5k was last night. 16.58 won and then only about 4 sub 20s. Sometimes theres 10 or so sub 20s in a field of 50ish. I dont think its shamefull to run even if everyones else is much lower level. You put in the work so deserve the results.

Keen NZ is a very hilly country although im on the coast. Hills are less than 10 min drive away.

Negative split is where you run 2nd half faster than 1st so if you are running the first half conservatively you should negative split ? Or have i read this wrong Smile

50+ PBs5k 18:29 Tauranga Parkrun May18   

10k 40:16 June 18

" I have a plan to make my legs longer by wearing shorter shorts "      

watsonc123

Roxx - good run on almost no training.  Why are you not training more?

Jamie, Mark, Keen, Enric - nice weeks.

JMac - good to see your running going well.  Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Re week 5k races.  There are sometime events where the 5k is there with the 10k, half and sometimes full.  The winning 5k time is normally poor at around 20, whereas the half might be 1:15. The only 5k I have raced is a weekly summer series, around 50-100 runners each week with the winning time 14:45-17:30.

Mark - good luck for your race. Yeah, the 90 degree turns and trail might slow me down.

Piwi - it is gotten quite a bit cooler here too, and humidity has gone.

Keen - my race is Sunday 18 March.

PRs: 5km 18:43, half 1:26:16, full 3:09:28

40+ PRs: half 1:29:39

2018 aims: 1:25:00

Next race: 5 Bridges Half Marathon 19 Aug

watsonc123

Also:

Enric and Flavio - good weeks.

Steve - give yourself an easy week.

CommanderKeen

Aspiring Hobby Jogger

Piwi - My HM and shorter races have pretty well all be negative splits; my longer races (25k & M) have all been positive splits for one reason or another. Typically a combination of lack of endurance + headwinds.

5k: 18:54 9/18 │ 10k: 38:56 4/18 │ HM: 1:28:01 4/18 │ M: 3:04:13 11/18

Upcoming Race(s):

??

Glute Force

Ah just saw that - two weeks out and we will see a picture of Lady Flavio! Smile Looking forward to this.

flavio1980

Steve - fitness remains for a long time. Don’t worry, it will be fine. It might even help you since you're running fast so frequently you could end up arriving flat at race day.

Mark - yeah, my belt is almost identical to that, except the zipper is on the upper part, rather than in the middle. Good Luck on the race!

Piwi - If I remember correctly they did steal some of your shoes a couple years ago right? haha

JMac - I’d sign in to all those races. I have only won one race so far and it was a tremendous feeling. Even if it was a 32 minutes 8K effort.

Warm weather PRs: HM 1h28 Full 3h15 50k 4h01

Cold weather PRs: 1500m 4:57 5K 18:05 10K 38:12 HM 1h24

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - I'm well behind first (Brad Luiten) and my only chance there is if he has an absolute shocker or gets injured.  I think Chris Trent (3rd) was carrying an ankle injury in the first two races (I ran him down with ~2km to go both times!) but is good now so he will be quicker and probably a tough prospect holding him off.  4th place is well back so barring a shocker or injury the top 3 are settled - just a question of who slots in where.  Unfortunately Brad is the same AG as me too so no chance of an AG 1st either haha (I won the AG last year but that's because he was injured).

Watson - let me know your goal for your race on Sunday (no rush if you are waiting to see what conditions are like).

JMac / Keen / Piwi - there are a few series here.  The Auckland Half Marathon Series (was 4 races, now 5). the Albany Lakes Summer Series (10km x 3 - same course), Run Auckland (6x 5km or 10km) and the Run and Walk Series (5 x 5km or 10km).  The latter two are really just a group of events run by the same outfit and don't do overall series awards.  The Auckland Half Marathon Series and Albany Lakes do overall series awards and consequently tend to get a few more competitive athletes.

Anyway series tend to suit me as it's pretty rare for me to be quick enough to win a race, but I'm consistent enough to be able to do OK across a series!

Certified races - as far as I know, there's only a handful of certified distance races in NZ.  The Auckland Marathon (and half), the Wellington Marathon (and half), the Coatesville Half and a few others.  Christchurch Marathon used to be certified but they haven't got it re-certified following the course change post-earthquake.  Definitely no 5km's I know of, most 5km events tend to be social parkrun-type events.

There is actually a weekly 5km run from a pub about a block from my work. I've never done it (I probably should) as it gets a reasonable field (post-work CBD crowd) and the winner is often around 16 minutes.

PRs:

5km: 16:43 (Auckland Corporate Challenge, Nov-17) | 10km: 34:08 (NZ Road Race Champs, Sep-18)

HM: 1:15:40 (NZ Half Marathon Champs (Dunedin), Sep-18) | FM: 2:57:36 (Auckland Marathon, Oct-17)

Last race: Auckland Half Marathon, 28 Oct, 1:16:29

Up next: Corporate Challenge 5km, 21 Nov 

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks for all the replies, it's feeling okay after 2 nights' sleep but I'll still keep it easy this week.  I'm enjoying the effect of having done speed work where my normal easy pace is hard to stick to - I feel like I'm cruising and see I'm 15 seconds per km quicker than I should be.  Hopefully that feeling of holding back ready to burst can increase over the next few weeks.

Mark - I didn't realise ChCh was no longer certified.  It's harder now than pre-EQ with the potholes and gravel (and loneliness!) in the back half of the half-marathon course.

PB:  Christchurch 2016 1:29.25

Recent Races:  Queenstown 2017, Auckland Waterfront Half-Marathon 2018, South Island Half-Marathon 2018

Upcoming Goals:  Canterbury Half-Marathon December 9, 1:29.24

watsonc123

In NZ - the Rotorua full (and possibly its half) and the Huntly half are certified by AIMS.  Some courses such as Wgtn Round the Bays Half & 10km are definitely accurate, whereas some races I wonder if they even tried to be accurate.