What proportion of runners qualify for Boston? (Read 415 times)

Feeling the growl again

I could win the olympic marathon, I just don't really give a flip about it.

No, you couldn't, you probably could not qualify for the Trials if your life depended on it.  To equate this with just about any 33-35min 10K runner being able to hit a Boston qualifier just by completing a marathon at what is a very comfortable easy pace for someone of that ability makes no sense.  Would you really call BS on a 33min 10K runner being able to qualify for Boston?

Saying one could, and saying one has, are very different.  The BAA does not give a bye on running a full marathon qualifier for good 10K times....though, interestingly, the USATF does for the Marathon Trials.

I do know good (32-33min) 10K runners who had difficulty putting together a good marathon.  They'd go out too fast, blow up in the 16-18 mile range....and run in the low-2:40s.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I do know good (32-33min) 10K runners who had difficulty putting together a good marathon.  They'd go out too fast, blow up in the 16-18 mile range....and run in the low-2:40s.

Who might possibly do a thing like that?  If I see one of those guys, I'll be sure to tell him to run smart.

Most runners that have a decent background in distance (and middle-distance) running will have no problem with a BQ.  And there are plenty of them.  Plenty.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Feeling the growl again

Who might possibly do a thing like that?  If I see one of those guys, I'll be sure to tell him to run smart.

I did tell him that but he took off anyways....passed him like he was standing still about 17 miles in.  I also knew a guy who should have been able to comfortably run what at the time was an A Trials qualifier, 2:20, and got his way paid to the festivities...even 2:18 would have been reasonable...but he repeatedly went for 2:16, blew up, and never ran better than 2:24 and so didn't get to run the Trials.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

( Another detour)

Saying one could, and saying one has, are very different.  The BAA does not give a bye on running a full marathon qualifier for good 10K times....though, interestingly, the USATF does for the Marathon Trials.

No 10K times listed here (but Half times are there): http://www.usatf.org/Sports/Road-Running/OlympicTeamTrials/2016QualifyingStandards.aspx

Maybe they took away the 10K times for 2016?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

( Another detour)

No 10K times listed here (but Half times are there): http://www.usatf.org/Sports/Road-Running/OlympicTeamTrials/2016QualifyingStandards.aspx

Maybe they took away the 10K times for 2016?

Must have.  And good riddance.  If you want to compete to go to the Olympics in the marathon, I think it makes sense to need to run one to get into the trials.  a 28:30 is worth 2:13-2:14 on conversion, compared to the 2:19 to get in with a marathon.

keeponrunning

Breaking bitter truth newsflash: You slow down as you get older.

It was sarcasm/a joke.  That's why I put the winky face.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A sub-29 (or 34 minute for that matter) 10k runner does not need to "put a marathon together" to qualify for Boston. They just need to be able to jog 26.2 miles.

Pretty much yeah. I was a 35-36 minute 10K runner when I decided two weeks before to run a marathon. I had no problems finishing in a BQ time with 5+ minutes to spare. No 20-mile training runs for me either.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

kcam

Some runners don't even run marathons at all!

GASP!

Even I only run once, I put a marathon runner (BQ) in my resume. Hey, I got a new job recently. :-) I heard that the average number of candidates applying for a job in that company is 300:1. So maybe my BQ helps.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

xban333

spam-tas-tic
                      lodigo123

A good running shoes to absorb the shock and control the foot, because there is no other type of sports shoes can be. Running shoe is its large number of shock absorbers filled soles.

A good running shoes to absorb the shock and control the foot, because there is no other type of sports shoes can be. Running shoe is its large number of shock absorbers filled soles.

Awesome.

All the guys were distracted by the avatar above it to note the awesomeness of lodigo123.  I read it and thought he was trying to sell something, but had no idea what.

Lodigo sounds like Gollum with his Salomon Shoeses.  Once Gollum sells out and starts selling products, all integrity is lost.

xhristopher

Agreed! That's why I only run in Z-Coil.