What's more important...heart rate or pace? (Read 1541 times)

Scout7

OK. I just didn't want you to think that your opinions would be dismissed merely because you haven't been running for years.

Dave

much better prepared for a lifetime of running.
      Sounds like your focus is in exactly the right place. And its not because you haven't been running for years. Its because you're slow Wink

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

A Saucy Wench

I can't wait to see my time a year from now when I've got 1000 base miles instead of just under 300. Bet I'll be where my friend is and probably much better prepared for a lifetime of running.
        You'll be just fine Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

AKTrail: Hmmm…. An interesting point. In most cases, people would come to me and ask some questions. In general, they would ask about certain formula and I would suggest to them to ignore them and go by how you feel. I actually think it’s important to show some point of reference.... I think numbers are like a safety blanket. They make them feel safe because, as long as you follow exact numbers, you’re safe, right? Okay, here I’m generalizing things but I feel Americans love numbers. ... Once again, I actually think beginners, more so than experienced people, would probably need points of references. ... I know you're not saying that; trying to see A or B. But, yes, I think, this day and age when we have SOOOO much information out there, especially on www, we actually get too much information. There are TONS of junk out there. And people LOVE to talk numbers and figures; because it makes them look sophisticated. Some mathematical formula makes them look impressive. "Do 5 times 1km at the pace 5 seconds slower than your current 5k race time because at that effort you'll stimulate your lactate threshold level..." Wow! He knows what he's talking about! On the other hand, if I tell you; "Why don't you go down to the trail and run down to the bridge and jog back and stop when you get tired..."; they'll look at you like, huh?
          Thanks, Nobby. Yea, where I am or at least the runners I'm around most, they're more likely to be able to go to the bridge and back (if they don't go exploring on a side trail as a distraction Wink ) than doing reps/intervals as you describe. It's only when I'm online that I bump into these other things. I do admit to liking to play with numbers and maps after and before runs/races, but I've played with topos since I was a kid. Half the fun of a backpacking trip in my early 20s was planning it on topo. (I digress) I definitely recognize what you're saying about beginners needing a reference. I know I used a hrm to help me understand "conversational" (seemed really broad, but that was before I'd seen the gradient version of it) and "comfortably hard". Maybe it was the pgm encouraging me to learn to run by feel, or not being able to hear hrm beeps over traffic or crunch of snow (still ran roads back then), or tripping on a dang root everytime I looked at the thing or ending up gasping for breath partway up a hill, I soon learned how to avoid pain. Just like pigeons pecking at lights - green light gets food, red light gets nothing. I gravitated toward intensity rather than pace since most pace-based stuff is based on runners that are much faster. That is 1km might be 4-5 min for some runners, but closer to 8-10 min for me on trails. That's not the intended workout, usually - because one can't maintain the intended 4-min intensity for 8 min. As you know, I've done mostly base work (LT and below) most of the year, and that variation provided lots of benefits. "Speed" work to me is being more agile on the rocks and roots so I don't lose as much time there. It gets me to the finish faster than VO2max work might - and reduces injuries with fewer face plants.Wink At any rate, I was thinking about how to up the intensity of my workouts in a meaningful way - that is, result in faster race times, not just a higher LT or VO2max or whatever. What was I really lacking - besides lots of things - but where could I get the most gains from the time spent before the snow flies again. Conceptually, I knew that I could do more intense work for shorter time intervals, and the stairs (25-50 sec up) helped somewhat (I'm gasping / almost passing out on the top step running as slowly as possible and still be running). I ended up doing some repeats at the base of a mountain (30% slope) - up to the 1st rock and back; up to the spring was too far for the intensity I wanted. I wanted to be able to push beyond LT and hold it a bit. It turned out "up to the rock" is about 3.5 to 4-min for me; up to the spring is about 10+ min. I could feel the different stimulus in my legs that day, and it carried over to other workouts. Cardio was secondary, it was the power stimulus I was lacking. Four-five years ago, doing that at all was a struggle, and I think contributed to some hip flexor problems I had. Seems to me that 3-5 min hitting a range at or above LT for part of it is a fairly standard workout (I just can't remember which one and don't have my books handy). This was partly a digression, partly an example of discovering by feel, and partly an example of rediscovering the wheel, albeit a bit different structure than traditional ones. But for me, it had to be on those 30% runnable slopes for 3-5 min (my other hills are shorter or steeper). That's probably not reproducible by me again, certainly not with the feelings I got that day, but I will revisit. And I only did 3, iirc, but some other hiking and flat running that day. (Between a 42 mi run and 13 mi "race", I have 2 recovery wks, 2 workout wks, 2 taper wks, so didn't want to risk compromising too many workouts, esp. with snow being possible by end of month. For me, it's more about consistent running and less about PR's.) At any rate, while thinking about improved stimuluses, I got Joe Friel's book on Total Heart Rate Training. Yea, I needed some numbers and a little different thought process for the next step, which was relatively new territory for me. For me, the benefit of Friel's book is that it's endurance oriented and doesn't stop at marathon distance. Ultras and IM go for 12+ hrs, not just because someone's slow, but because the races are that long. It's been helpful since it's provided some backup to some thinking I've done (that might disagree with JD, but his approach is for races of a few hrs or less). So, yes, I definitely understand the need for guidelines and numbers to start - but once partway down that road, one should be getting the feel of the workout and not using numbers as a crutch. What's suggested for a general population needs to be adapted to an individual's training background, lifestyle, topography, etc. for optimal benefits. Some will do it by pace right on the numbers provided by some pgm, some will do it by variations on pace, some by HRM, some by feel, some by breathing. Whatever gets people out the door running is the best approach.
          "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            I am a total type A personality so if I run by my heart rate, which I normally do except for the summer months when it's jacked anyway, it keeps me from going too hard and injuring myself. I did my base training this year by heart rate and it has made all the difference in the world for my marathon training. I'm stronger and more healthy than when I was training last year and it's because I did my base by HR and basically ran super easy for about 3-4 months. In the summer months, the heat plays games with me and really puts things out of proportion to where they should be so during the time I'm HRM-less I run strictly by feel. I know that if I'm getting breathless, I'm running too fast.
            Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
            theyapper

On the road again...

I know that if I'm getting breathless, I'm running too fast.
              Wouldn't this be true during the entire year?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

obsessor

I don't really "believe" in HRM-based training. It has some value, but it is just a number. After ~15,000 miles of running or so, I got an HRM. It is a toy. Some background info: My lowest measured HR is 32. Normal resting low when in good shape, and not in heavy training, upper 30's. Normal low, somewhere in the 40's, at about 10 in the morning. 50's when in heavier training and not feeling the best. Measured max, after a specific workout to achieve such - 210 at age 33. SO, it took me a while to learn what an "easy" run would feel like, and what would constitute an easy or recovery effort that would not put a ding in my workout week. I decided to record the effort, without looking at the data real-time, and see what happened. My HR starts at about 90bpm, and over a mile works up to about 120bpm. Pace is "slow" (MP +3:00/mi. ... somewhere thereabouts.) Then HR goes up to somewhere between 145 and 142 - very consistent. Then it drops, drops, drops, steadily and slowly. This occurs simultaneously with a drop in pace. (maybe I am getting warmed up?) HR settles to about 118-121, and occasionally as low as 10X. Main thing I learn, is that when I am in "really good" shape, my HR drops very quickly when I am done with a run. usually drops below 100 within 90 seconds, my benchmark, and to about 60 within 5 minutes, while walking slowly. So - What did I learn from my HRm experiment? I can blast up a hill and cause my HR to like to 190 pretty easily. Hard to sustain more than about 160. Can't make me run any faster than I could run before. Does not make me run any slower or faster. Does not tell me what easy is, because apparently I already figured it out. Goes up when the temp goes up, but also goes up when the temp gets really low. Damn, I did not learn anything.
                  My point, with this thread, wasn't to restart the debate of tech vs non-tech or running by feel vs running by a measured number. My point was that for a large percentage of those people that are taking up running on their own with no structure other than a book, website, or magazine (or most likely none of the above) that there is much more fixture on pace than would seem prudent. If I had titled this thread "Why do so many beginners seem obsessed with pace" then I don't think there would have been as much backlash. Of course I realize that not all beginners are young Type-A males that are out there trying to kill themselves by running way too fast but I think my argument is just as valid for the other side. When I started running I was slow. A 12:00 minute mile was a challenging pace. A lot of the people out there in that situation seem concerned with the fact that they are too slow. All those people afraid to join a running club because they worry they can't keep up are just as worried about pace as the person out running too fast. If you want to disagree then that's fine. If you want to misinterpret what I've written and preach from your own personal soap box then God Bless America. If you want to tell me I'm wrong or stupid or ugly or whatever then go for it. I've tried not to offend or disrespect anyone in this thread and if I did then I apologize. I honestly do not understand the polarity and hostility from what I thought was a simple premise. Hopefully this can come to an end now.
                  2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
                  JimR

those people that are taking up running on their own with no structure other than a book, website, or magazine (or most likely none of the above) that there is much more fixture on pace than would seem prudent.
                    I actually disagree with this. There is an aspect of pace beginners focus on, but by and large I see beginners discuess distance moreso than pace. Check the 'look what I can do' forum and scan the topics. There's 'first 60 mile week', 'first 5 mile run', 'longest run ever', 'first 20 miler', 'first run since...','first 10 miler', '8.2 miles', 'I can run for an hour'. There's a couple of pace related threads 'sub 6:00 in my log', 'longest run to day, and my fastest!', 'sub 30 5k' but mostly it's about distance and miles. I know when I was still a 'beginner' I knew nothing of pace and really didn't know my pace from anyone elses, I was more about how far I was going.
                      If you want to disagree then that's fine. If you want to misinterpret what I've written and preach from your own personal soap box then God Bless America. If you want to tell me I'm wrong or stupid or ugly or whatever then go for it. I've tried not to offend or disrespect anyone in this thread and if I did then I apologize. I honestly do not understand the polarity and hostility from what I thought was a simple premise.
                      The key is never to make any statements that may be in any way controversial or write book long essays. I disagree with you here and glad you aren't taking it personally.
                      I know when I was still a 'beginner' I knew nothing of pace and really didn't know my pace from anyone elses, I was more about how far I was going.
                      I agree with JimR here. When I started I focused on time (run for 1 hour) Then distance (endurance) Now speed (pace) Disclaimer: This is what works for me. I don't know if it's best. Everyone is different.
                      And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

Speediest Slug There Is!

I guess I am a beginning runner (5 months since I started the C25K from a completely sedentary lifestyle.) There are a lot of well-thought-out arguments here, I just wanted to explain my mentality for purchasing, today, a Garmin 305 with heart-rate monitor and pace calculator. Over the last couple of months I have begun to really explore my physical limits as a runner. I've run boring, easy paces that leave me unsatisfied and I've run so hard that I was sick for two days afterwards. Today I did my first interval workout and I damn near killed myself on interval 1. But I put out a much more reasonable pace for Interval 2 and I finished on Cloud 9. There is no single number that is going to tell me what my limits are and when I am approaching them as accurately as what I feel in my bones, my muscles, my breath. I have learned the physical difference between fast, hard euphoria and overexertion. I still stumble, but learning my limits is part of the joy of running. When I run, I may have a general pace in mind, but I let my body talk to me more than the numbers. The biggest advantage of pace comes after the run, when I can look at my improvement over time and feel satisfied that my hard work is paying off and that I am becoming a better runner. Overall I would place pace over heart-rate in terms of importance, because I've run on treadmills with a heart rate at 168 and my body felt good even though the treadmill was telling me I was pushing it. I could breath, I was fine, so I don't trust the estimate of what my heart-rate ''should be.'' I can't sustain that HR forever, but for a while, it's okay. Pace, for me, is generally a better indicator of how I'm going to feel. If I'm running :30 faster than I usually do and still have 2 miles ahead of me, this is a good indication that I'm going to be exhausted by the time I finish my run. I don't obsess over the numbers, but I do use them as guideposts as I run. For beginners I believe pace can be a very useful tool not only to encourage them with concrete evidence of progress, but to help them plan and adjust pace for longer distances. I have decided to keep track of my heart-rate mainly out of curiosity, but also because I want some guidance to understand how and why I overexert myself when I do. I don't know if it is related to heart-rate or not, but I intend to find out. If I can find that sweet spot where I'm pushing myself but not to the point of collapse, I'm going to improve even more. With regards to what makes an actual runner vs. person who runs, I'd say that's subjective. But even though I'm so slow I get passed by asthmatic 70-year-olds, I know I'm a runner. I need running like I need air. I get cranky and don't sleep right when I don't run. It is my anchor. It's the reason I paid $30 to have my husband ship my running shoes to me when I was out of state for a couple of weeks. It's the reason I bothered to go for that 2nd Interval today even though the first one damn near killed me. Something makes me get up and go back for more, because I want to know what I can do. I don't even care that I'm slow any more... I'm proud that I run 14 minute miles. When I began, I ran 16 minute miles. When I do my next 5K, I'll be running 13 minute miles. I have so much improving to do I'll be entertained for years to come!
                        Fall seven times, stand up eight.
                        Goals:
                        *Complete a 5K (no walking)
                        Tortoise and Hare 5K, 42:05, 13:35 pace PR
                        *Weigh 160 lbs 5 to go!!!
                        *15 mpw base