Boston: When is registration?? (Read 290 times)

HermosaBoy

Movie quote.

I know -- my response should have been Germans?

Forget it he's rolling...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Quote from xhristopher on 8/28/2013 at 5:14 PM:

Article says "the deadline to qualify for Boston is Sept. 22."

This is inaccurate. Deadline is when it's full. 

This is actually true, it just that you are talking about two different things - It's a little confusing..   What they are saying is that the deadline to qualify for the 2014 event was Sept 22, 2012.  Ie, you had to run your BQ after that day in 2012 to be eligible with that time for the 2014 race.

What you are saying is true in terms of this years event filling up though.

xhristopher

Still inaccurate/poorly written/confusing. That was the opening/starting date for qualifying, not the deadline/ending date. You don't say the deadline for filing your taxes is Jan 1.

Deadline=End

bhearn

If you want to run a marathon sometime in the past and qualify for Boston, the deadline is last Sept. 22!

The Boston Marathon

The Boston Athletic Association today announced that registration for the 2014 Boston Marathon will open on September 9, 2013, and that the field size will expand to 36,000 registrants for next year only. For more, click here.

So, not the 23rd.

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

I have a sneaking suspicion that once anything is officially posted by the BAA it might just get a mention (or 27,000) around here. Maybe. Possibly. Perhaps.

You were right!

Runners run

xhristopher

You were right!

27,000 mentions is something like 1800 RA pages. We're not going to get there unless someone starts an argument about a controversial topic. What should we start with?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The short version:

BOSTON MARATHON REGISTRATION DATES:

• Monday, September 9 - Qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard by 20 minutes, 00 seconds or faster.
                  • Wednesday, September 11 - Qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard by 10 minutes, 00 seconds or faster (if space remains).
                  • Friday, September 13 - Qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard by 5 minutes, 00 seconds or faster (if space remains).
                  • Monday, September 16 - All qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard (if space remains).
                  • Friday, September 20 - Registration closes at 5:00 p.m. ET.
                  • If space remains after this initial period, then on Monday, September 23 registration will re-open to anyone who meets the qualifying standards on a first come, first served basis. Registration will remain open until the maximum field size is reached.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Feeling the growl again

After DNFing this spring with injury, based on last year's dates I registered for Dayton on Sept 21.  Looks to be a slim chance there will still be spots open come Sept 23.  Good thing I didn't put my whole heart into training for this one I guess.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have a sneaking suspicion that once anything is officially posted by the BAA it might just get a mention (or 27,000) around here. Maybe. Possibly. Perhaps.

More.  They expanded the field.

#artbydmcbride

27,000 mentions is something like 1800 RA pages. We're not going to get there unless someone starts an argument about a controversial topic. What should we start with?

How many of those new slots are for charity runners???  Shy

Runners run

How many of those new slots are for charity runners???  Shy

...and what about that guy who ran a 2:05:11 marathon just going out for a jog down by the water? Do you think he's ready to enter Boston?

HermosaBoy

I heard Kip Litton is going for the win...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

After DNFing this spring with injury, based on last year's dates I registered for Dayton on Sept 21.  Looks to be a slim chance there will still be spots open come Sept 23.  Good thing I didn't put my whole heart into training for this one I guess.

I'm in the same boat - running the Fox Cities Marathon on 9/22.   They are opening things up a little earlier this year compared to the past few years.   I have a BQ time that is good for this year, however, It's not -5 min under, or greater, so I guess I will just wait and see if things are available come 9/16.   It will really be interesting to see how many (if any) spots will be available on 9/16 with the expanded field size.   I'm pretty sure last year it was open for like 9 days after the people that were 5+ minutes under registered, before it reached capacity.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Talking to people who like to talk, I get the impression that a BQ-5 is a pretty sure lock.  Is that the consensus?  Or just wishful thinking because who the hell knows this year.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do