Another NYC Race Report -- Long (Read 631 times)

xor

I went to take a sip from my Ultima
    You lost me for a second because you are one of those folks who drinks ultima by choice, heh, but I recovered. This is a nice report and woohoo for having a great experience. I can't imagine waiting 5 hours in the cold!

Congratulations! Great report. I had a great time being a spectator, but I'm delighted you had such a good experience as a competitor, despite the long freezing cold wait at the start.
      redleaf

Very cool! Congrats! Big grin

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

freckles

Well done lady!

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

pitrunner

Well done!! Sounds like a really fabulous experience.
              Hey - congrats -- that's great. I agree it was cold ... I thought the most painful part was the 25 minute shuffle to the UPS trucks. Great memories overall though Big grin

2012= under-goaled

WTG, Sara! Great job and congrats!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

Great job Sara, loved the report. Knowing the course can be a mixed bag of curse and blessing, but I think on balance it helps. Congrats on reaching your long-time goal! I'll try to remember to repost this as Boston approaches, sorry I didn't think of it before NYC because the wait sounds brutal. It's actually for Red Sox fans, but it could be used by New Yorkers that aren't Yankees fans. Clowning around You need a bed at the village. When you’re packing for Boston go out to the garage and get two great big plastic leaf bags, and bring them with you. Then on Sunday at your hotel, pick up a couple of Boston Globes or other big thick newspapers. Bring the bags and the newspapers with you on the bus to Hopkinton. When you get to the athletes village, find a spot where you can lie down, then begin rumpling into balls each sheet of each newspaper and fill the two leaf bags, until you have used up both newspapers. Tie the bags at the top and lay them on the ground end to end, and you will have the most comfortable, dry bed for relaxing that you ever saw. Many people also bring cheap, throwaway air mattresses. But whatever you do, bring something! You will be out there for many hours. It is an impossibly long wait, in a crowded place, and the ground is often damp and cold. Whatever you do, think through what you will do to recline on the ground for all that time. You don't want to be on your feet. If you are not the nervous type, you could even bring a book to read. Remember, you will be out there about 8 a.m. Many will tell you it's the worst part of the race. It's from Boston Marathon Tips, there are some other ideas that sound good. Instead of an air mattress, I'm thinking a pool float would be easier to carry and inflate.

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

theyapper

On the road again...

Good job, Sara. Nice report.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Ringmaster

Thanks for sharing this with us. CONGRATULATIONS!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                      Mile by Mile