Loving biking! (Read 329 times)

I recently bought a new (to me) bike, and I'm having a blast.  Since it was used, I fixed it up (new decals, tires, seat, pedals, bar tape, etc), and I really learned a lot and had fun with the project.  It's titanium which makes me happy. :-)  Since I am trying to build back up after an injury, I've found the bike very helpful as it doesn't aggravate my hip and supplements my few miles of running and physical therapy. I, too, am working my way back with a half marathon up next (in September).

Here's my "new" bike: http://ultracassie.blogspot.com/2013/07/c.html

This nice thing is that riding a bike in 90 degree temps feels a lot better than running in 90 degrees. Thanks for the book recommendation!

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

uncontrollable

OK - so today I went to a chiro because I have had this nagging neck shoulder elbow thing that began radiating to my hand a couple weeks ago.  He feels it is a herniated disk.  We reviewed all my activities & he really encourages me to minimize the biking until I heal.  I do have to agree the unnatural position of being hunched forward & crinking my neck to look up totally aggravates my neck & by the end of my rides - the whole arm.  I really love riding and tis the season.  I am wondering if I get different handle bars - more upright - for the time being - if that could allow me to ride without such pressure on my neck???  Anyone ever modify their handle bars???  WHAHHHHHH I want to keep riding but obviously I don't want a permanent injury!

peace

Hip Redux

I have two herniated discs in my neck - I had a custom bike built to put me in a more upright position.  I'm in a very non-aero position lol  BUT I can ride comfortably, and that's what important.

I would look at how much you can raise your handbars - but get through the healing process first before you try to do too much biking!

uncontrollable

Great - thx. I will.

peace

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here's my "new" bike: http://ultracassie.blogspot.com/2013/07/c.html

This nice thing is that riding a bike in 90 degree temps feels a lot better than running in 90 degrees. Thanks for the book recommendation!

*wipes drool from chin*  That is seriously HOT!  And I love the 2-faced color scheme.  That is a great idea!

Yeah, it's been hot here.  I tried a 7 mile run this week...I made it <5.  That was my only attempt at a run.  I walked probably about a third of that.  Gave up and will be logging my highest weekly bike mileage of the year, thus far.  The rides have been pretty comfy (last night was so far the only blight.  90s and super humid in the evening and my lungs gave me a big F-U).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would look at how much you can raise your handbars - but get through the healing process first before you try to do too much biking!

What she said!  Yeah, changing to a stem that angles you more upright is probably the best solution, but still wait until things have healed more before doing anything.  I'd definitely talk to a professional fitter about your options.

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks, Kirsten :-)

I tried one run outside this week which is when I decided to do the rest of the runs this week on the treadmill.  This weekend is looking better for running outside.

I picked up the Bernhardt book this evening. :-)

*wipes drool from chin*  That is seriously HOT!  And I love the 2-faced color scheme.  That is a great idea!

Yeah, it's been hot here.  I tried a 7 mile run this week...I made it <5.  That was my only attempt at a run. 

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

arca

OK - so today I went to a chiro because I have had this nagging neck shoulder elbow thing that began radiating to my hand a couple weeks ago.  He feels it is a herniated disk.  We reviewed all my activities & he really encourages me to minimize the biking until I heal.  I do have to agree the unnatural position of being hunched forward & crinking my neck to look up totally aggravates my neck & by the end of my rides - the whole arm.  I really love riding and tis the season.  I am wondering if I get different handle bars - more upright - for the time being - if that could allow me to ride without such pressure on my neck???  Anyone ever modify their handle bars???  WHAHHHHHH I want to keep riding but obviously I don't want a permanent injury!

Go off road. I find a mountain bike much easier on my neck. The terrain can also give me more of an 'interval' session with all of the ups and downs.

Jan26.2

30.4 miles this morning - longest Coolride so far. I think I love going long more than going fast. Evidently cycling feeds my endurance addiction.

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

30.4 miles this morning - longest Coolride so far. I think I love going long more than going fast. Evidently cycling feeds my endurance addiction.

Yes, that's where my focused shifted too.

There's so much opportunities in endurance racing (and training).  The beauty of it is that you're never really racing against others.  You're racing against yourself and your former inabilities.  It builds confidence and you also become a well rounded athlete.

Since I started triathlons in 2009, I've been injury free and able to train weekly.

Enjoy!

(FWIW, I sat on my bike yesterday for the 1st time in 2 months.  But it's too hot in Texas to be riding in the summer (or, really any type of training).  Another week or two, and my season begins again)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Time to set your sights on a metric century, then 100, then ride across your state!

~ Sarah Kay

uncontrollable

OK - YAY - new stem at bike store today - they put it on in less than 10 minutes!  It brought the bars up quite a bit!  Heading out for a ride in an hour or so!  We'll see...SO HAPPY I didn't have to drop my bike off - that would've stunk.

peace

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Awesome!  Yeah, changing out the stem is easy and a great way to change fit as-needed.  Even better is that most stems can be flipped to change the angle.  Headset spacers can be swapped-out to put the stem higher or lower, too.

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

Awesome!  Yeah, changing out the stem is easy and a great way to change fit as-needed.  Even better is that most stems can be flipped to change the angle.  Headset spacers can be swapped-out to put the stem higher or lower, too.

Bike nerd!Roll eyes

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

OK - YAY - new stem at bike store today - they put it on in less than 10 minutes!  It brought the bars up quite a bit!  Heading out for a ride in an hour or so!  We'll see...SO HAPPY I didn't have to drop my bike off - that would've stunk.

If your shoulders are hurting (were hurting), the length between your seat and your hand grip is likely long.

It could be the size of the bike which forces you to stretch out far.  That could be adjusted by a shorter stem (which I'm guessing you received), but it could be a bike sizing issue.  For example, if you have a 52cm bike, you may need a 50cm or a 48cm.  My wife now rides a very small bike for her overall height.  (She's 5'4" and rides a 48cm).

Likewise, as Zoomy mentioned, you can flip the stem so the height of the stem is better and you're not riding too low.  You'll be more upright, and won't need to lift your head to see.

I haven't had those problems, but my wife has.  It took her a long time to get comfortable on the bike and not have shoulder pain.

(Also, how low does your helmet sit on your forehead?  You should be able to have a natural view that's a few feet in front of your bike and allow your eyes to look further without head much movement.  A helmet that doesn't fit properly may limit your visibility).

I hope it works for you.
                                Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life