Hip Flexor strain (Read 1307 times)

I am trying to train through a hip flexor (?) strain.  It is where my thigh meets my hip on the front of my leg just inside of the center point on my leg.  This is a self diagnosis but it isn't sore when I walk or do really anything except jog.  I start my jog and limp for about 5 or 10 minutes and then it seems to gradually get better. 

I am now doing some yoga stretches and it seems to be getting better.

This may be stupid buy I am trying to train through this strain.

I started running Feb 9th.  I am athletic but new to running.  

Here is my problem...I ran a half marathon and my friend made fun of my time 2:09 so I told him I could beat him in a half marathon.  He was a runner and has stayed very fit.  We are going to do a head to head half marathon next summer in Hawaii and the loser pays for the trip for the other (and their spouse).

I think to have a realistic chance at beating him I need to be sub 1:45 maybe as low as 1:35....I am way off of that and need to train as much as possible to have a chance...

today i ran pretty hard and did 5 miles in 44:50 so I have a long way to go!

Ultimately, my question is, with a hip flexor strain, can I just stretch and train through it or do i need complete rest?  Also, if it doesn't start to get better, what type of doctor should I see to look at it?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

2012 Goals

1000 miles

5k 24:48

10k 54:25

Half Marathon 1:59

Ultimately, my question is, with a hip flexor strain, can I just stretch and train through it or do i need complete rest?  

I've been dealing with hip flexor pain for several months now.  I wouldn't call it a strain, but it can get pretty painful after several miles of running.  Can you train through hip flexor pain?  Yes.  Strain?  I would probably see a doctor, but it sounds like you aren't really sure if this is a strain.

This pain came about in a progression of injuries for me.  It started with hamstring issues, which went away after specific stretching/strengthening.  Then came IT Band pain, added more stretching/strengthening.  Finally came hip flexor pain, and after even more strengthening seems to be going away.

Anyway the solution depends on what is causing the hip flexor pain.  I used a shotgun approach of standard exercises such as lunges, leg lifts, etc, but one thing that seems to be helping quite a bit is shuffling sideways for about 100 meters on each side.  I repeat this 3 times.  It immediately loosens up the hip flexor at least for a few miles.  Also, I noticed a lot of tightness was originating from my lower back and either using a roller or massage can make the pain go away completely for a while.  YMMV

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Well, if your race is 12months away, I'd say go to a physical trainer for some advice and exercises to help it out and cross-train until it's 100%.

I had a hip-flexor issue in the month before my marathon.  Fortunately, it was just pain, not strain.  I'd run for 3miles and then it would start to affect my stride.  I'd negative-stretch it (standing, I'd pull my knee to my chest and hold) and it would feel a lot better for the next 3 miles.  wash, rinse, repeat.

I was able to train through it, but this was pretty short term.  After the marathon I gave it a lot of rest (same with the rest of my body) and the issue did not re-appear once I started training again.

[caveat: I'm pretty new to this, and I'm not a doctor]

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Feeling the growl again

It is difficult to give advice over the internet for this specific situation...depends on the exact cause, strain/pull vs just soreness, etc...

However, in general, with your race a year away you need to consider that once potential scenario is that training through it could lead to either a progression of the injury or a long duration of diminished training capacity as you deal with it on and on until it is finally so bad that you are forced to take more time off (closer to the race) than would have been needed if you had taken care of it up front.

Even though my next big goal race is in late October, I just walked away from running for a 2 week period to deal with an injury I was not sure how to fix.  My thought process was, better to try to heal up and have 2.5 months of good training than have 3 months of crappy and intermittent training.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

My advice is to see a physical therapist who knows running injuries. I had that pain plus some other spots and lived with it for 6 months or so and finally went to the doc- It was IT band problem that affected other areas. Now I'm doing slow, low miles trying to relearn correct form.

I think the bigger question here is how to go from a 2:09 HM to 1:35 HM in a year. Substantial money is involved here a Hawaii vacation for 2 has to approach 5 digits.  So besides taking a couple of weeks off to injury what next?  Serious question as my first HM was about 2:05, yet to beat 1:48 after 4 years of trying.  I know I could get to 1:45 if I put in the necessary work, but not sure if I'll ever get to 1:35 no matter what I do.

Thank you all for the advice.  I ran 5 miles Monday in about 44 minutes which is now a pretty good pace for me.  It felt okay although I felt it the entire run.  Today (Wednesday) I just went out to run and ran for about 20 yards and am calling it quits...I have to see a doctor.  I am dreading being told I can't run for awhile but you all are correct, it will be better for the long term good training and it will keep me from the crappy training I am currently doing and have been for about a month now!

Regarding the time of the HM at 1:35...I am resolved to get as fast as I can so at least I make my opponent really work to beat me.  He is a better runner than I am and I hope he will take me for granted.  I do believe in a year I can get below 1:45 HM but I don't know how much lower.  I do know if I get my body healed I have a much better chance.

Kevin

2012 Goals

1000 miles

Feeling the growl again

Regarding the time of the HM at 1:35...I am resolved to get as fast as I can so at least I make my opponent really work to beat me.  He is a better runner than I am and I hope he will take me for granted.  I do believe in a year I can get below 1:45 HM but I don't know how much lower.  I do know if I get my body healed I have a much better chance.

This is off the original topic....but....

If you want to be the fastest you can be on race day, stop fixating on a goal time a year out.  Fixate instead on training the best and most consistently you can.  Do everything you can to help your body improve....lose weight if you need to, get enough sleep, eat right, etc.  These are the things which will get you where you want to go.  Fixating on an arbitrary and, frankly, very aggressive goal time is most likely to just cause you to overtrain, injure your self, or get demotivated.

My best improvements came when I followed my own advice above.  My biggest disappointments when I approached it the way you are now.  Face it; your body is capable of what it is capable of, and planting a stake in the ground regarding your time a year from now will not change that.

Time goals are good....when they are realistic to where you are now and short- to mid-term.  Like what you are going to run a 10K in 2 months from now.  Too far out and such goals can be more of a hinderance than a help.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

L Train

If you want to be the fastest you can be on race day, stop fixating on a goal time a year out.  Fixate instead on training the best and most consistently you can.  Do everything you can to help your body improve....lose weight if you need to, get enough sleep, eat right, etc.  These are the things which will get you where you want to go.  Fixating on an arbitrary and, frankly, very aggressive goal time is most likely to just cause you to overtrain, injure your self, or get demotivated.

Great advice. 

Mileage Hound,

That is great advice but will be very hard for me to follow.  I know I have to try but I also know my personality!

Thanks

Kevin

2012 Goals

1000 miles