Eyewear (specifically for cold weather running)? (Read 2002 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

On some of my colder morning runs I have had a bit of the watery eye syndrome from the cold, breezy air...and it's not nearly as chilly as it's going to get in the coming months. How do you more seasoned runners deal with this? Do you wear sunglasses or something? Do they fog up? Or do your eyes acclimate? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I definetly wear sunglasses ( as well as when it's raining lol). They don't fog up as long as I keep (cat crap http://www.ekusa.com/item/23.43.392/ ) on them.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...I seem to recall that skiers use Cat Crap (*titters*...I have 3 cats) on goggles. You know, maybe I should see if I can find a deal on decent sunglasses with those interchangeable lenses. I know cyclists wear them for varying lighting conditions. My biggest problem is just finding a pair to fit my face (which is quite small and narrow--most "adult" sized glasses don't stay up on my button nose, LOL). I have had good luck with styles in the Bollé "Snakes" line, but they are kinda $$. I have one nice polarized pair I wear for driving, but I'd rather keep those in the car. Of course, the other advantage to wearing shades is to protect my eyes from UV damage--my little brother already has early cataracts. As a photographer I don't want to mess with my eyesight. I should probably have been wearing sunglasses this whole time (in addition to my hats with brims). k

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

I definetly wear sunglasses ( as well as when it's raining lol). They don't fog up as long as I keep (cat crap http://www.ekusa.com/item/23.43.392/ ) on them.
          I think this product would take care of the watery eyes AND you wouldn't need to use cat crap...http://www.dreamessentials.com/a_mask_dream_pillow.aspx Actually, I find the REI brand "chili" sunglasses to be perfect for running! The 'rubberized' nose and earpieces really help hold them in place, they have UV protection and are usually under $20! http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47900447&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&color=BLACK/SMOKE&img=/media/231072.jpg&view=large I have worn the expensive stuff and I keep coming back to the chilis. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I always wear sunglasses when I run. I wore them all last winter and never had a problem with them fogging up while I was running. Mine are fairly cheap polarized ones I got at Kmart. Teresa
              Same as Teresa, I always wear sunglasses. My eyes are pretty photosensitive, so I tend to wear them on relatively overcast days even. The glare off the snow is awful on the few sunny days we have & even a bit painful on the overcast days. I had no problems with fogging during the winter & I have cheap glasses & don't use any products on them.
              So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
              JakeKnight

Women. Sheesh. No, ladies. We wear sunglasses when we run for one reason only - because we look very, very cool when we do. Add a tight singlet to show off the guns and a wicked cool running hat, and the cool factor doubles. The best part, of course, is that until I actually start running, I look fast. Very fast. Eye protection is a secondary benefit. What is the matter with you people?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think this product would take care of the watery eyes AND you wouldn't need to use cat crap...http://www.dreamessentials.com/a_mask_dream_pillow.aspx Actually, I find the REI brand "chili" sunglasses to be perfect for running! The 'rubberized' nose and earpieces really help hold them in place, they have UV protection and are usually under $20! http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47900447&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&color=BLACK/SMOKE&img=/media/231072.jpg&view=large I have worn the expensive stuff and I keep coming back to the chilis. Lynn B
                  Ha, those mask thingies are cute! Though I have a feeling I wouldn't have to worry about watery eyes, as I'd kill myself as soon as I stepped outside! Tongue Those Chilis look really nice, but cheap or not, I have a really tough time finding sunglasses that will stay on my face, even with the rubberized nose and earpieces. Those snug Bollé Snakes seem to be the only line that actually work on my dorky little nose and face (I'm on my second pair--different style than the first pair...DH knocked my first pair out of my car and they got stepped-on in mud. The scratches don't bother him, so he inherited them). I've found a few pair in the Snakes line for around $30 that are described as small/medium, so I might just bite the bullet and grab them. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The best part, of course, is that until I actually start running, I look fast. Very fast.
                    I have that problem, too... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For anyone interested in small framed shades for a diminutive face (my reading glasses are barely larger than children's frames and still had to have the bows bent around at the back to lock them around my ears--a lot of kids frames actually fit me well), I found these and grabbed a pair: Bollé Sizzle Looks like they are even a bit smaller than models that have worked well for me in the past for driving (at least according to Bollé's specs), so they should be perfect and stay on my face well as I bound along the roadways without any sort of strap around my head to hold them in place. k

~ Sarah Kay

Marathonmanleto

Yo ZZ, As a seasoned Michigan early morning runner I share the problem. Last Spring I decided to wear clear eye protection. They work great. The fancy eyewear is nice for daytime running, but no good for the dark runs. The nice thing about them is that you can get a decent pair at Lowe's for next to nothing. MM
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, I never even thought of that! I should see if I can find a small pair that will stay on (do they make kids' or small women's sizes?). I know my hubby has a few pair in his woodshop, but he has a big, Dutch head. When I have put them on to help out with stuff in the garage they don't really stay up. That would definitely work well when the lighting is really too low for sunglasses (this morning was so dreary and I even thought about how much darker it would be with a typical pair of shades...as the wind-driven snow pellets kept hammering my eyeballs). k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

MM, thanks again for the safety glasses suggestion. I just checked Lowes' and Home Depot's websites...Lowes' doesn't appear to carry any styles for smaller faces or women (at least not on their site), but HD had several, including a style for only $10. I'm going to have to see if our local store(s) have those next time I am down that direction. Sunglasses will be nice on sunny, brisk days, but in MI (as you well know), we don't have all that much sun from here until about June! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Jeffrey

I wear bicylcing sunglasses with yellow lenses. The yellow lens helps bump up the contrast. I still have to take them off if it gets too dark though.
                                I too wear cycling glasses for running (though I'm also a cyclist). Rudy Project makes some really nice (though pricey - I wrote them off on work insurance though) sunglasses, and a lot of the models come in a "for smaller faces" size. They stay on my face really well and don't bob up and down, unlike my normal glasses. When I lived in Boston I had to put cat crap on them to prevent them from fogging, but there is no cold weather here in Phoenix. At least what I consider cold weather...