47 degrees and raining - what would you wear? (Read 159 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I've rarely had to run in the rain over the past few years. In fact, searching my log I have only one workout which I marked as having rained (I'm sure I've run more often in the rain, particularly in the summer, but I just haven't marked it in my log). But due to a variety of factors, I'm not sure I can avoid it tomorrow morning, or that I could reschedule my workout.

If you had to do a long run in the rain - not a downpour, but a steady shower, with temps in the high 40s - what would you wear?

Thanks, all.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

JimR

Shorts, shirt or two, and a shell.

mikeymike

A hat with a visor, long sleeve tech shirt, t-shirt, shorts, socks, running shoes and gloves.

Runners run

What Mikey said, + liberally applied bodyglide.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Prince of Fatness

For running in a cold rain I have had luck with one of those Hefty bags.  It is light weight, keeps the rain off of the core, and helps keep you warm (which is why it is not an option in warm temperatures, you overheat).

I cut holes for my head and arms, and get something to tie it off around the wasteline (it is baggy and flaps if you don't tie it).

It looks a little silly, my wife was mortified when she found out that I ran around the neighborhood wearing a trash bag, but I found that it really does work.

Not at it at all. 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Racing?  Or just running?

Running: T-shirt and visored hat.  Shorts.  A shell if it's a downpour. Maybe a long-sleeve tech-wool if it's "chilly".

Racing: T-shirt and visor + shorts.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

One of those umbrella hats.

Seriously, I love running in the rain. If the run is long, put band-aids on your nipples. I'm serious. I made the mistake of doing 15 miles in a downpour and came back with bleeding nipples.

High 40s in not too cold. But you would stay warmer if you can keep your upper body mostly dry. I'd wear a light, breathable jacket. GoreTex or one of the knockoff materials would be great if you have it. I like thigh-length tights in the rain rather than regular shorts. They seem to chafe less as they don't move around even when wet.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Hobie1

If you have a compression shirt wear it, with bodyglide underneath.   Then a light shell on top.  Shorts and a ball cap.

Are you running or racing?

Just a dude.

If its not windy and during the day, I would wear shorts. No shirt or hat or anything. Just soak it up. People will think I'm crazy for running in the rain and overlook the extra body fat sloshing around as I go... Wink

If its pretty windy, then it would be too cold, and I'd wear probably a long sleeve tech type shirt. If it was at night, it might be on the cold side too and I'd wear that plus a light.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

just like all of you who live in the midwest or back east run in the snow, its no big deal for us in the PNW to run in the rain or wind.  this past Sunday ran a 10 miler in a steady rain with some wind (more wind down along the lake) & 40 degrees. LW  Waterproof REI pants., long sleeve base layer wicking shirt (REI) and a light Sugie waterproof cycling jacket, waterproof hat (with Event liner) & pair of LW Serius all weather gloves.   perfect combo

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Thanks, all. This morning the projected satellite track somehow had a big hole over my part of town. Looks like more rain went to my north and my south. It showered for the first three miles of my run, but otherwise was just windy with temps in the mid/upper 40s. The cap (with a visor) and gloves were perfect (wouldn't have thought of the gloves without MikeyMike's suggestion). If it were a little colder, I would have gone with the trash bag. I don't have a good water-repellant shell, but may look into purchasing one.

Again, thanks! I had a good 14 mile training run, with the middle 10 miles at goal pace.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

What they said for the most part.  I think it's generally unwise to try to hermetically seal yourself, like with the trash bag or a real raincoat, because, yeah, it keeps the rain out, but it also seals your body moisture in.

joescott

If the run is long, put band-aids on your nipples. I'm serious.

Amen.  Except I'd go with duct tape.  Sticks waaaaay better than bandaids, especially in the rain.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

If its not windy and during the day, I would wear shorts. No shirt or hat or anything. Just soak it up. People will think I'm crazy for running in the rain... Wink

If its pretty windy, then it would be too cold, and I'd wear probably a long sleeve tech type shirt. If it was at night, it might be on the cold side too and I'd wear that plus a light.

-Kelly

Ditto shirtless if no wind and light rain.  If windy, hard rain, or temps are dropping, i.e., early evening, typically light windbreaker over tech shirt and ball cap to keep rain.  Did it in an cold rain last December.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Sultan of slug

I know you already got your run in, but this has turned into a poll, so I wanted to hype my favorite fabric:

Long-sleeve midweight merino wool shirt and shorts. Keeps you warm if it's wet, is comfortable in a wide range of temperatures, and feels better on your skin than synthetics, especially in the rain. I've become a huge Icebreaker fanboy over the last couple years (now I just need to earn more money...)