Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

Good luck guys. May the weather be fair and the day a success. Jim, to jump from a different thread, I'm thinking pretty seriously about doing Cowtown in early October. There's a lot to like. John
    I hope you can make it, John. I just talked to another runner about the race earlier in the week. He gave me an unsolicited review of the course when I mentioned that I planned on running. He ran the half a couple years ago and really liked it, repeating 3 or 4 times how nice the course was. He also ran Parkway, btw, and thought that Cowtown was a little faster because of the surface. Some of turns are a little sharper than at San Jose, but according to him they were not a factor.
    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
      I must admitt, I am becoming a firm believer in milage. Today I ran a Marine Corps PFT which is max pullups, max crunches followed by 3 mile run back to back. I had just ran a tempo run yesterday morning and another decent run in the evening when I found out I had to run the PFT. Didnt really want to push it to much. I ran a 17:20 3 mile with out putting out much more effort then I would a moderate tempo. Ever since I have increased the milage, added one track and one tempo a week, my run times are dropping very quickly. Thanks.
      2010 Goals 3000 Miles 1/2 Marathon-Sub 1:20:00 Marathon-Sub 3:00
        Rotorua Marathon race report May 2nd 2009 Short version: 3:00:21 SmilePB by over 10min! Dead 1 sec/mile faster and I would have broken 3 hours. Bugger, I'm still a sub-3hrs wannabee. Long version: My confidence took a bit of a hammering as I drove around the course the afternoon before the run. There were a couple of hills at about 20km (12 mile) and 28km (17mile) that looked a bit tough. Would they slow me down? I eventually decided to stick with my planned splits for as far as the hills, and see what happened from there. It was a perfect day for a marathon. Cool weather (12C: 54F), plenty of cloud cover, but a whisper too much wind. Perhaps the only thing that would have made it better would have been a gentle shower at about midway . I joined the sleek runners at the "about 3 hours" marker, the gun went off, and we were away. During the first 10km almost everything was telling me to go faster. I felt great - running easy & it seemed like a few hundred people passed me, but my Garmin was telling me I was going a touch too fast so I held back, held back, held back.. At the first 5km mark I was 9 sec ahead of target, at 10km I was 8 sec up, at 15km I was 15 sec up. From about 10km people stopped passing me, and from about 15km I started picking them off a few at a time. The first big hills from 18-20km were a breeze. I kept my eye on my HRM and did not push too fast, but kept on passing people. I even had a chat with a guy - we compared our target rates, agreed that too many people pushed too fast at the start and stayed together going up the hill. After the top he disappeared behind me. The downhill roll after the big hill was FUN. I took a free ride and let gravity pay me back for the uphill slog. km # 23 was over in 3:58 (6:22/mile) and my HR took a bit of a rest at the same time - plus I was still passing people! I was now over half way and on the way home. At 20km I was 12 sec ahead of target , and at 25km I was 37 sec ahead (due to that free ride down the big hill). My hydration and energy plan was working well - a drink at every station, and a GU at 7km, 17km. The next largish hill from 26 to 28km slowed me down a bit more giving me my slowest pace for the race at 4:31/km (7:16/mi) for km #27. I had a small game of bounce with tall guy in yellow, with me passing him, him passing me (while a gobbled down GU #3), then I passed him and his mate for good just before the top of the hill. After the uphill I got another downhill roll with 3:55 (6:19/mile) for km #28. I was still feeling good and passing people. Unfortunately that include cute-girl-in-pink so the view got a little worse after that. Perhaps that was the turning point as now the dreaded fade started to happen. At 30km I was still ahead of target, but I'd dropped 17 sec and I was back to 20 sec ahead. At 35km I'd dropped another 18 sec and was back to only 2 sec ahead. The engine was still running, my body felt good, but the speed governor seemed to be kicking in and I could not drag my speed up to the 4:15/km (6:50/mile) pace that I needed. My final GU at 37km gave me a little pep, but not enough. One speedster managed to pass me at about the 38km mark. He was looking good, but there was no way I could tag on to him. No one else managed to get past me, and I managed to pick off another couple of people, but that sub 3 hour goal looked like it was getting out of reach. At 40km I was 29 sec BEHIND my target pace. I put on my angry face decided to HTFU and kept grinding. I managed to be back on pace for km #42 @ 4:16 (6:51/mile), and poured it on for 4:04/km (6:33/mile) for the last 200m, but I did not quite make it. Final time 3:00:21. The person in front of me managed to get under 3 hours, but I did not. Bugger. I did not manage that elusive negative split, but it was much closer than the 6 min positive of my first attempt - the first half was over in 1:29:39, and the second was 63 sec slower at 1:30:42. But it was not all bad - actually I feel bloody pleased with myself. I managed to take 10 min off my PB on a tough course, only one person passed me between the 10km mark and the finish - but I passed LOTS. Now it is all on for my next Marathon: Auckland Marathon on November 1st 2009 - goal time 2:59:00. Edit: tweaked a few numbers after correcting for Garmin distance errors - over by 105m overall

Running - cheaper than therapy

Great story of a marathon and sounds like you ran it just about perfect but didn't quite have enough in the tank - well done!
            Great effort Ian, as themightyvilla (when was the last time they won?! Wink ) said, it looks like you ran a great race, though it must have been hard seeing those 22 seconds on the clock. Still this sets you up nicely for the sub 3 in November.
              Maybe not quite a sub 3 but what a super race, and you have every right to say that you ran a 3-hour marathon. Near perfect execution on a not so easy course--superb job of pacing and a lot of grit right through 'til the end.
              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              bhearn

Oh, sooooooo close! But congratulations on the big PR.
                  Ian - great race. 54° might have been a bit warm. Cooler temps might have gotten that sub 3 for you. Next time for sure.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Great race and a great report. It sounds like you gave it everything and ran a smart race. The only thing you missed was what is, after all, a fairly arbitrary time. (Probably shouldn't mention that in this thread though). It should give you a huge amount of confidence for your next race. Is Auckland a flatter course? John
                    Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
                      Great race and a great report. It sounds like you gave it everything and ran a smart race. The only thing you missed was what is, after all, a fairly arbitrary time. (Probably shouldn't mention that in this thread though). It should give you a huge amount of confidence for your next race. Is Auckland a flatter course? John
                      Yes. Auckland should be easier - not as many (and smaller) hills, but it would be hard to get better weather than I had for Rotorua. One strange coincidence that popped up looking at the race results: During the 45th annual running of the event I was the 45th finisher overall, and 45 yrs old. The medal handed out to finishers proudly announced that this was the 45th year that the event has been running. The embossed "45" on my medal is also my age, and my overall place in the event.

Running - cheaper than therapy

I like the quote Jim24315 gave about resisting running fast for the number of miles raced previously (26), until that number of days has passed since that race. Be cautious is all I wish to add and good luck with that dvc2002.
                        Good races guys.... Ran a minor PR today.. 1:26:42. Felt OK first 3-4 miles. Thought it was going to be a long day from 4-8/9. Then was surprised I found my legs around 10/11. Didnt expect to PR but when I saw the clock said what the hell... Splits were 6:33/6:28/6:27/6:33/6:49/6:43/6:37/6:43/6:34/6:38/6:36/6:26/6:21/Last bit 5:51/mi
                          Congrats on the PR dvc! Well done, now take a break! Wink

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Congrats on the PR dvc! Well done, now take a break! Wink
                            I'll take a break when I go on an 11-day vacation to Ireland end-of-July/beg-of-Aug.. I've got to shed these 8 lbs I've gained since Boston....
                            bhearn

I've got to shed these 8 lbs I've gained since Boston....
                              8 pounds since Boston???! Most of that must be water. I was 4 pounds up several days in a row; back down to 2 pounds up now. Which I can well believe.
                                8 pounds since Boston???! Most of that must be water. I was 4 pounds up several days in a row; back down to 2 pounds up now. Which I can well believe.
                                Yes most of it I think was from a salty beef stew I had for dinner saturday night. I went from 164.6 to 168.0. I still feel rather flabby though.