running (Read 152 times)

CJ77

Seriously?

CJ77

Slo

Tanya, have you ever competed on a team?

Yes. And coached a team.

CJ77

Ok, then I do not understand your question.  Could you please explain?

I think what Tanya is saying is that you're being a bit of a pedantic weenie here.

Runners run

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I think what Tanya is saying is that you're being a bit of a pedantic weenie here.

+1

steph  

joescott

Yes, Coach Jimmy, USATF Certified Coach, you are being what he said, to an extreme degree.  And you're just wrong.  Contrary to what you might think, there are a LOT of athletes on RA who have been or are competitive (high school and collegiate) runners and coaches.  I'd say most of us are pretty happy with the site and the nomenclature is fine for intervals.  If you've really been around running as much as you claim then you would know that the choices eric offers for workouts are fine.  They match perfectly the vernacular (common language) of how these terms are used.  And your differentiation between "interval" and "repeat" workouts is also pedantic and unnecessary.  There is no "industry standard" terminology around these words, although yes, I am aware that some coaches (notably Daniels) use the terms to convey technical differences, but most runners don't really care in everyday speech.  Besides, you can name your interval workouts whatever you like.  If you want to call a workout "12x200 repeats" and another one "4x800 intervals", you can do so.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

CJ77

Perhaps, Coach Jimmy USATF Certified Coach.

On the other hand you might consider that your opening post could have come across as rude and extremely condescending in the first place. Just a thought.

I mean a lot of athletes (including some very serious post-collegiate athletes) are managing to use and get significant value from this training log. Certainly to these athletes and coaches, the limits and nomenclature of the interval function is nothing that constitutes a bold and underlined major problem.

But you're right, it's probably us that's the problem.

Runners run

CJ77

joescott

...so, I made a request for the corrections..

er, "suggestions."  The word "corrections" implies that there was actual error to begin with, which there was not.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

L Train

Sometimes, I use notes to describe parts of my run that don't fit a cookie cutter definition.  If I had a USATF certified coach, he/she could then help me make an existing running log and community  fit my/our/or team's specific needs, rather than the other way around.  Pretty sure I can even use bold and underlines and stuff in there, but I'm not sure.

L Train

Nomenclature is a big word.