Baltimore Inner Harbor - places to run? (Read 1342 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I'm going to be in Baltimore next Mon-Thurs for training, and am staying near the Inner Harbor (East Lombard St.).  For those of you in the area, or who have been there, are there decent areas to run down there?  I will not have  a car to get around to more distant parks or trails.  Hoping to get in a couple of days of 3-5 milers, plus one at 8+ miles.  Recommendations?

pitrunner

I would google directions from your hotel towards Fells Point, Canton, and Federal Hill. There are lots of nice routes that will be safe as long as you stay near the waterfront.  I wish I could figure out how to share a map on here...I could whip you up a good one.

MTA: I'm running out of the office right now but will try to figure out how to share a map later today...

Feeling the growl again

My in-laws had/have a condo on the Inner Harbor, so I am very familiar with the area.

The best route overall...starting from the north (?) side of the harbor where the Aquarium is, is to run all the way around the harbor to the south (Federal Hill?), then get on the sidewalk following Key Hwy.  Follow this to a left turn onto E Fort Ave.  This will run you through Locust Point and out into the gate to Fort McHenry.  The loop around Fort McHenry Park is ~1 mile.  This out-and-back with a loop at the end is your best bet from the Inner Harbor.

Aside from that, be forewarned that the area around the Inner Harbor is VERY rough.  I tried a few other routes but it was some of the scarier runs I have done and I gave up and just stuck with the one I described above.

If you run around the Orioles stadium and take Washington Blvd out until just before it hits the freeway, on the right side there is access to a trail that runs way out.  It's a pretty and very nice run.  But for the distance you want to go it is probably not worth going through the sketchy area of Washington Blvd and industrial complex that you must go through to get there.  The first time I went through there early in the morning I almost ended up in the middle of some serious police action.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Thanks, y'all - I'll check those routes.  As I recall, the Aquarium is just a couple of blocks from the hotel. 

Spaniel, if my boss decides he wants to join me on a run, I'll keep the trail out by the freeway in mind - he'll have access to the car.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks, y'all - I'll check those routes.  As I recall, the Aquarium is just a couple of blocks from the hotel. 

Spaniel, if my boss decides he wants to join me on a run, I'll keep the trail out by the freeway in mind - he'll have access to the car.

I think you can park at Carroll Park, right before Washington hits the freeway, and the trail starts there.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Imminent Catastrophe

+1 on the run out to Fort McHenry. Restrooms and water at the visitor center.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

ymmv

If you have a car, and you are looking for trails, you can head out to Patapsco State Park. Here is just one of many possibilities.

....and the gwynn's falls trail looks like it would be scenic (but paved). someone mapped a route on RA here.

Feeling the growl again

....and the gwynn's falls trail looks like it would be scenic (but paved). someone mapped a route on RA here.

That is the trail I was referring to, it's been a few years so I did not recall what it was named. 

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Feeling the growl again

If you're planning on rehydrating at the pub, leave your good watch at home.

Baltimore can be rough.  While the Inner Harbor is very nice, some of the worst parts of the city are very close by.  When visiting my in-laws there the paper had a map of the 10 worst crime intersections in the city, and many of them were within walking distance of the Inner Harbor.

One of the routes I tried was up by John Hopkins.  I figured hey, nice and recognized institution, should be nice stuff around it right?  Wrong.  There was a cop on his beat right across the street...locked in an apparently bulletproof phonebooth thing with his cruiser parked outside.

I figure if the cops need to be kept in a bulletproof bubble it was probably not a good area. 

It makes the short list of places I have been where I was legitimately worried for imminent safety...along with south side Chicago and 90% of Detroit.

ymmv

Baltimore can be rough.  While the Inner Harbor is very nice, some of the worst parts of the city are very close by.  When visiting my in-laws there the paper had a map of the 10 worst crime intersections in the city, and many of them were within walking distance of the Inner Harbor.

I live about an hour away from Baltimore. There are some great races up there around Druid Hill Park (Baltimore 10 Miler, Dreaded Druid Hills 10K, Celtic Solstice 5 MIler) but I've never gone for just a 'run' there. Druid Hill Park is near Hopkins.

I like your idea about running out to and around Fort McHenry. That was the best part of the Baltmore Marathon, but I don't think the course goes around it anymore.

Thanks to your post, I looked up what the trail was that you mentioned (Sorry, I should have connected it with your previous post when I linked the map). I read some reviews that say it is very safe.... I would not have guessed that, having watched 'The Wire' and having been in and out of Baltimore for many years.... Hey, I even saw The Doors and Frank Zappa there in concert!

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

If you're planning on rehydrating at the pub, leave your good watch at home.

Yeowch!  I'm planning to run most (if not all days) n the AM, so the pubs won't be an option for rehydrating.  Hopefully Baltimore's enterpreneuirial crowd is like that in most other towns, and prefers to conduct business at night arather than at sunrise.  But I'll keep my eyes & ears open anyway.  Thanks for the heads-up (and the maps).

Jill_B

I fly.

One of the routes I tried was up by John Hopkins.  I figured hey, nice and recognized institution, should be nice stuff around it right?  Wrong.  There was a cop on his beat right across the street...locked in an apparently bulletproof phonebooth thing with his cruiser parked outside.

I figure if the cops need to be kept in a bulletproof bubble it was probably not a good area. 

It makes the short list of places I have been where I was legitimately worried for imminent safety...along with south side Chicago and 90% of Detroit.

I spent 3 weeks in Baltimore for work (about 10 years ago) and stayed right across the street from the Johns Hopkins' track.  I did all of my running on that track.  It was boring as could be, but after driving around the city I decided boring was better than dead.

Bring it on.

Imminent Catastrophe

That run to Ft. McHenry is great and safe but know where you're going. I took a wrong turn and briefly found myself in season 2 of "The Wire". 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016