Missing maps on older workouts imported from Forerunner 305 (Read 444 times)

Hi folks,

I've been using a Garmin Forerunner 305 since the start of 2009, and I imported all my workouts a few weeks ago and started working my way backwards, entering more data and whatnot. When I got back about a month, the workouts stopped having maps associated with them, which is making it hard to know what the workout was. I do have all the data stored on my Mac in the Garmin Training Center app (which seems absolutely worthless), and I'm trying to figure out the best way to proceed.

I don't really need the map data in RA for these workouts - I was just coming back from surgery, so they're short and relatively non-specific. But I'd sort of like to fill things in so the Workouts page is more complete and get equipment data entered and whatnot. I could just go back and forth with GTC and RA for each workout and manually figure out what the workout was. Or, I could try deleting the workouts from RA and reimporting just those workouts before April 21st (which seems like a fair amount work on its own, given that GTC won't export a subset of data, just the whole shebang).

Any suggestions? It's not really a huge deal - I'm just data-retentive. Wink

cheers... -Adam

ymmv

As the 305 (and 205 and 405) starts to run low on free memory to store new run data, it deletes the map data from the older runs. The watch is not the best place to archive data.

As I recall, Garmin Training Center (GTC) on the MAC does not have the option to export one workout at a time, just 'everything'.

You might try:

1. export everything and save that file to ensure that you have a safe copy of it all. Don't lose this file!

2. delete from GTC, all the of workouts except the one you want the map data from.

3. Now export 'everything' (which is now only one run) and you should be able to upload that file to RA.

4. import your big archive file you saved back into GTC

5. go to step 2

If there's an easier way, or a newer version of GTC that lets you export one workout at a time, that would save a lot of work. You might also try taking the big save file and importing that into a windowz version of GTC, from which you can export data one run at a time.

I've always wanted to get a job developing software for Garmin, where I could violate the 'principle of least astonishment' on a routine basis.

hope this helps.

eric :)

I've always wanted to get a job developing software for Garmin, where I could violate the 'principle of least astonishment' on a routine basis.

ymmv,

Thank you for the tech support.  When I talked with the Garmin reps, they are indeed hiring programmers, but you'll have to be in Ohio or some midwest state.  Maybe then they can produce decent software that will make my life easier Tongue

eric :-)

Thanks - that's pretty much what I figured. GTC really is awful - just useless for most anything, but at least it has all the data in it.

cheers... -Adam