Elevation goes to sea level when crossing bridges (Read 1567 times)

an amazing likeness

Eric,

This is probably well known, and I'm only sharing it as a "hmmm...that's interesting, but makes perfect sense".   Looks like when you cross a bridge over the ocean, the elevation goes to 0 (sea level) for the bridge span.  For some reason I just noticed it.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

MrH

Yeah ... my regular run on the trial crosses a couple of bridges over rivers that show as a sharp change in elevation.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Even short bridges show me running into the gully rather than over it.  No big deal.  I should log a run over the Royal Gorge bridge.

Imminent Catastrophe

Interesting, VirtualEarth shows bridges. Google Map doesn't. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

What I find interesting is that when I start at a location and finish at the exact location, my incline and decline never match! Surely they have to?

However, despite the fact google claims I run on water for most of my runs, my incline isn't too inaccurate!

Never forget the man who mistook his wife for a hat!

Ποτέ δεν ξεχνά τον άνθρωπο που μπέρδεψε τη γυναίκα του για ένα καπέλο!

Menace to Sobriety

I would guess the same would be true if you were standing on top of a building. The course mapping feature would "see" you as on the ground. Have you compared the course mapping with the actual elevation from you GPS, if you run with one?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

eric :)

This is a known issue with the elevation data. The data is only two dimensional (each latitude and longitude pair has exactly one corresponding elevation point).  A more interesting example would be if you provide the latitude and longitude of the Empire State Building, what would be the proper elevation?  Should it be the elevation of the street, or which floor you're on?

It would be nice to be able to correct the bridge dips automatically but it is not possible without additional terrain data.  For our purpose, we can manually correct the underlying data if we know the bridge's elevation, although it maybe tricky since if the GPS reading is off, you may "fall off" the bridge.

if the GPS reading is off, you may "fall off" the bridge.

No useful or helpful input, this just really made me chuckle when taken out of context Tongue All these poor people falling off the bridge because their GPS is off!

Never forget the man who mistook his wife for a hat!

Ποτέ δεν ξεχνά τον άνθρωπο που μπέρδεψε τη γυναίκα του για ένα καπέλο!

Imminent Catastrophe

I think the OP made it clear that it's not really an issue that needs to be fixed, it's just interesting to discuss. I thought the fact that VirtualEarth does and Google Maps doesn't was interesting. But doesn't need to be "fixed".

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What's funny is that there are situations where the reverse happens--we have a section of paved MUP that runs under a 4 lane street.  First time I ever ran under that the elevation profile looked like I sprinted up a mountain and back down.  This was back pre-Garmin integration on RA, when I was uploading to Motion Based.  Once I set gravity correction it stopped doing this and I don't think this has been an issue with RA's mapping.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

paved MUP?

Was beaker involved?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

paved MUP?

Was beaker involved?

Only if he uses a multi-use path.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Ah ok.  Hadn't heard the term before.  Here we just call them "bike paths"; the understanding being that it is multi-use.  Not that the cyclists believe this on some paths.

This approach/assumption got me in trouble in Monterey CA.  I was running on a big wide paved path at 7a on a Saturday.  Wasn't anyone around me for miles.  Until the cyclist pulled up and chewed me out for running on the 'bikes only' path.  Sure enough, the sign said so.  Ooops.  Renegade runner.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ah ok.  Hadn't heard the term before.  Here we just call them "bike paths"; the understanding being that it is multi-use.  Not that the cyclists believe this on some paths.

This approach/assumption got me in trouble in Monterey CA.  I was running on a big wide paved path at 7a on a Saturday.  Wasn't anyone around me for miles.  Until the cyclist pulled up and chewed me out for running on the 'bikes only' path.  Sure enough, the sign said so.  Ooops.  Renegade runner.

I don't like riding on our "bike path."  Too many oblivious people yakking on cell phones, listening to headphones cranked too loudly to hear people hollering behind them (but then they get startled and pissed when we pass from behind), kids on bikes weaving around, groups of cyclists who hog the path, and knuckleheads with dogs on overly long leads spanning the width of the path.  Plus it crosses a lot of streets sorta blindly and is in poor repair in one direction.  Sometimes I don't even like running on it.  A lot of the local dog owners don't seem to feel obligated to clean-up after their pets.  It was really bad just after the snow melted when there weren't a lot of people to witness their irresponsibility.  Amazing how rude and gross people can be when they think they won't be caught. Tongue

Weird that there are paths that are bike-only.  I've never heard of that.  I don't think I'd prefer that to the road in most instances.

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Weird that there are paths that are bike-only.  I've never heard of that.  I don't think I'd prefer that to the road in most instances.

This is especially true in the Netherlands. If you are committing the crime of walking in a bike lane, you will be, at the least, yelled at. At the most, thumped soundly. Don't mess with the bike paths in Holland. 

Dutchie?