Hello everyone! I need help(IT Band issue) (Read 725 times)

Work on your glutes.  Underlying glute weakness or lack of/improper recruitment is the most common cause of ITB/TFL issues. 

FWIW I regularly do a few sets of side lying leg lifts, keeping my foot turned down and in to emphasize the gluteus medius. I can't say that's why I have never had a problem with ITBS, but I've never had a problem with ITBS, so there's that...

Yeah, I tried to avoid coming over here. Not because I don't enjoy you guys' company(because I do) but in an effort to spend less time on the computer wasting my life away. But........... well I need you guys too much, and well here I am.

So those of you that read my RR on the Route 66 HM, I injured my IT band running down a hill WAAAAY too fast, then made it 10 times worse by finishing the race(6 miles).

So I took a full week off, and then started running again. For the first week, I could go around 2 without pain, and now I'm at 3. I run "to the pain" but once I feel pain, I stop and walk. But I'm wondering if I'm delaying my recovery by running at all?? I know for a fact that running through IT Band pain is a big no no, but most say that running up to the point where you feel pain is ok.

So would you continue to run "to the pain" or take a few weeks off completely?

I really don't have any big races for the next few months, but I'm concerned that if I take a month off, I'll lose a lot of my run fitness.

Like Jeff F said, you need to actually identify what your problem is; and then you'll need to identify what's causing it.  All the exercises or gizmo, that might actually help the situation, won't do you much good unless you eliminate the cause.  

I was talking to a friend of mine today and one of the things we talked about was olden-days shoes and all the injuries we seem to face today.  A lot of injuries we never had back in 1970s when we didn't have any of those "high-tech" shoes.  If you are wearing one of those highly developed motion-control shoes, they are designed on the assumption that you are overly pronating.  Now some degree of pronation is actually a natural movement.  Those shoes are designed to artificially eliminate this "natural" movement.  What's worse is that it automatically puts you in a position of "supination", which is rolling OUTWARD, or laterally, putting extra stress on the outside, or lateral side, of your legs--ankle, knee, hip...all along your leg.  Downhill running might have just been a trigger.  You wear those rubber band, you may use foam roller or some exercises; and it may remove the initial "pain" but, as long as the cause is still there, you'll continue to have the issue, or if not as the actual injury, the bud will always be there--until you change the shoes (assuming it IS the cause), or remove the actual cause whatever it may be.

asdfsdaaas

why?

BexKix, Bagel Defender

Julebag, any update?  How are things going?

I've had periodic issues with my ITB and foam rolling has done the trick....if I have the patience to do it.

As for taking the time off, I was just recently training for my first marathon when HUGE (and subsequently infected) blisters on my toes sidelined me for 3 weeks.  The marathon is off (until next year) but I was able to pick up my training in about weeks and just completed a half marathon Sunday that felt great!  I did work on a stationary bike and an elliptical while my toes healed.

So seeing as you don't have any major races coming up, don't stress too much about taking some time off. 

Best of luck!

Go see a physical therapist- hopefully one who know about running injuries. My longstanding IT band/hip problems have cleard up thanks to PT. The internet doesn't know everything.Smile

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

The internet doesn't know everything.Smile

You have NO idea what you're talking about.Big grin

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

The internet doesn't know everything.Smile

Actually it does, but the trouble is that all the contrary opinions are there as well Smile

gfd_2

I had an IT band issue that started last fall and I was able to get back into running just 1 month ago. 

Lessons learned. 

1.) When the Dr tells you to take off and just stretch and roll on the foam roller, DO IT.

2.) After 3 months off when the DR tells you that you can start running, but start off at 1.5 miles and only increase by 10% per week,  DO IT!

3.) A foam roller is your friend. DO IT RELIGIOUSLY! 

The Dr. recommended this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9aJtO0VCqw

4.) Stretches recommended by a physical therapist are a good thing. DO IT JUST AS RELIGIOUSLY. 

The stretches in this video are great.  I'm a big fan of the stretch he shows at the 11:00 mark works VERY well. 

5.) A band to strengthen your leg and hip muscles is worth the 10 bucks on Amazon. Buy one and DO IT. 

6.) If the Dr. recommends some sort of shoe insert, it doesn't hurt to try it. 

7. ) A mix of yoga and IT Band stretching after a run has worked very well.  DO IT! 

8.) If a friend or running partner asks you to go longer than you should. DON"T DO IT! 

I'm finally back to 2.1 miles 3 times a week and I have no pain.  

Of course the 20 lbs I put on while NOT running are going to be tough to lose.