Gonna Try a 10K (Read 327 times)

Better I Leave

Just stumbled across the Sacramento Crazy 8 event and found a 10K for next weekend along the scenic American River. I'm looking forward to it. Man, running can be addicting, can't it? **giggle**

an amazing likeness

10K is a great distance, very different than 5K. Takes some pace management, and you can run down the whole pack who don't manage to have anything in the tank at the 5mi mark.  For me, it's best approached as a 'super tempo' effort for the first 4mi, then up the pace for the next 2 splits.

Wasn't all that long ago the 10K was the race distance, sort of like 5Ks today.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Better I Leave

Thanks MT...

Now a tempo run I'm assuming is a run where one sustains a constant level of speed, yes? So what you do is run at a steady speed for the first few miles and then "kick it up a notch" to finish, am I right?

A tempo is  run at a "comfortably hard" pace, approximately the pace you could sustain for an hour,  usually for a distance of about 5k.

The purpose, generally, is to improve lactate threshold. (Obviously a warmup would be done first.)

I actually try to run at an even pace the whole way for a 10k; the effort to maintain the pace gets harder and harder, judging it just right so you feel completely trashed as you cross the line takes practice!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Better I Leave

A tempo is  run at a "comfortably hard" pace, approximately the pace you could sustain for an hour,  usually for a distance of about 5k.

The purpose, generally, is to improve lactate threshold. (Obviously a warmup would be done first.)

I actually try to run at an even pace the whole way for a 10k; the effort to maintain the pace gets harder and harder, judging it just right so you feel completely trashed as you cross the line takes practice!

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Better I Leave

Ran it today w/ a 59:04. Not too bad IMO. Smile