So how cold is too cold to run outside? (Read 247 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

On the flip side, I now seem to be OK running at noon time during the summer when the triple digits hit.

10 years ago I was still pretty sensitive to Summer weather. Now it bothers me FAR less. I totally get why so many people from the Midwest end up retiring to the South/SW. I fantasize about living in southern NM pretty much constantly from Nov-March. Last night's Zillow sketch on SNL nailed it.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Cyberic

I'll run in any temperature. I live in Montreal, Canada. When it's ultra cold, I've started to put vaseline on my face on the exposed areas (around the eyes for example), it helps to prevent cold burns. When there's nothing you can do, and your face/eyes are cold, it's not fun though. It's just that I run commute to work (not this year - covid), so I run in anything.

artikles2

This year i've learned to just put on more and more clothes and say f it, but the problem is my face. I have 2-5 layers on all other body parts, but my face is completely exposed. If pull my neck warmer over my face, it gets damp and nasty from my breath. I feel your pain

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I do recall a story about a soldier stationed in the artic who decided to warm up with a jog and the blood in his aorta froze and he died! But I also heard that story was untrue. I've also heard if it is minus 30 degrees F and the wind is blowing at 30 MPH exposed flesh will freeze in 30 seconds! Now I have never been in the extreme cold conditions described by my Canadian friends here, just doesn't get that cold in north western NY. Today is typical for the coldest part of winter with single digits early morning warming up to the low 20s during the day. Rarely does it get below zero F and my coldest run ever was a short mile and a half in 1 degree F weather. At one time I would forgo the run if it was below 20F, but I now have adapted so 20 degrees seems almost warm and have no issues running in the teens. My coldest run this season was 2 miles at 16 degrees. I would like to try a sub zero F run if it ever gets that cold, but if it ever was minus 20 F or colder I would be afraid of frostbite. Of course if there is sun and no wind much colder conditions are more easily tolerated.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
          Get up, get out, get out of the door!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I've also heard if it is minus 30 degrees F and the wind is blowing at 30 MPH exposed flesh will freeze in 30 seconds! 

That sounds awful. Yesterday, on my run, it was 21 gusting to 32kph with a windchill of -43*F. I did run on windchill of -44*C (-47*F) earlier this week and it's hard to keep moving and stay warm.

On this page, there's a chart that denotes the different windchill values and the risks. At -48 to -54*C windchill (-54 to -65*F), exposed skin can freeze in 2-5 minutes.

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/weather-health/wind-chill-cold-weather/wind-chill-index.html#X-2015011511225016

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Just so I can be the outlier in this thread, I'll note that I've decided that I'm on the treadmill from now on whenever it's below the low 20s F. air temperature.

I used to run outside down to the low single digits F, but I've discovered as I get older that doing so is hard on my body, even when properly dressed.  Muscles get very stiff and tight and achy and prone to being pulled; slippery surfaces aren't much fun either and are another injury risk.   My rule is that if I would race in weather, I'll train in it.  But... I've decided my days of racing in sub 20 degrees F are done also, so that gives me an out Smile

So I'll just stay indoors, and respect the heck out of the rest of you.

+1

I bought a treadmill a little over a year ago because I'm not putting up with the cold running any longer. Have an accident in that sort of weather, and you probably won't fair too great either.

- Andrew

I have not had the opportunity to find out.

We are not known for harsh winters (Western Washington) so the coldest I've had the opportunity to run in would be mid to high teens?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

I have not had the opportunity to find out.

We are not known for harsh winters (Western Washington) so the coldest I've had the opportunity to run in would be mid to high teens?

And when did that even happen? I'm pretty sure I haven't seen <20 in the 6 winters I've been here. This morning's 27 was the coldest of this winter so far (although we might dip below that in the next couple days.) I paid my cold weather running dues living in Michigan though; no interest in going back.

Dave

DennisF6

And when did that even happen? I'm pretty sure I haven't seen <20 in the 6 winters I've been here. This morning's 27 was the coldest of this winter so far (although we might dip below that in the next couple days.) I paid my cold weather running dues living in Michigan though; no interest in going back.

I don't live there now but I lived in the Seattle area 1968-2013.  There were a few times it actually got down to single digit temps.

It has been a while though.  Most recent for that was 1989.  Most recent for mid teens was 2010.

https://www.currentresults.com/Yearly-Weather/USA/WA/Seattle/extreme-annual-seattle-low-temperature.php

Hey CanadianMeg, it's a balmy -40 at the moment and I'm contemplating the unthinkable... It hasn't been getting much warmer these days. Cyberic, you are courageous and I commend you, however I believe some of you guys are a little extreme in your practise of running. I have no problem running in 35 C as I have practised for years in Mexico with some of my Mexican friends, but the cold side is harder to swallow. Hopefully my wife will talk me out of this insanity you guys are inspiring...

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Hey CanadianMeg, it's a balmy -40 at the moment and I'm contemplating the unthinkable... It hasn't been getting much warmer these days. Cyberic, you are courageous and I commend you, however I believe some of you guys are a little extreme in your practise of running. I have no problem running in 35 C as I have practised for years in Mexico with some of my Mexican friends, but the cold side is harder to swallow. Hopefully my wife will talk me out of this insanity you guys are inspiring...

It's -45*C windchill right now. I'm going out for probably 2-3 miles. My mileage is absolutely in the tank this week. This Arctic weather is stuck and not going anywhere. You do what you can do.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

And when did that even happen?

12/20/2008

12/20/2008

Can't you be more specific?

Can't you be more specific?

Pigtails Flat Ass marathon

Out and back course, multi use trail

Snow on the ground

16 degrees at the start

19 degrees at the finish

I was wearing long pants

Za Nina

Oh my Goodness, well done! That really is extremely cold. Is it not necessary to protect hte eyes with ski goggles or something? I ran on -3C earlier in the week, and my warm wool cap was like I had nothing on...I had almond oil on my face, and my legs felt like frozen meat after 20 minutes...but that all says I should restock my winter running gear, and winter gear in general...I did enjoy the run, inspite...Take care!

That sounds awful. Yesterday, on my run, it was 21 gusting to 32kph with a windchill of -43*F. I did run on windchill of -44*C (-47*F) earlier this week and it's hard to keep moving and stay warm.

On this page, there's a chart that denotes the different windchill values and the risks. At -48 to -54*C windchill (-54 to -65*F), exposed skin can freeze in 2-5 minutes.

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/weather-health/wind-chill-cold-weather/wind-chill-index.html#X-2015011511225016