February Swimming (Read 1249 times)

No one got out yesterday? 100 drills, 4x400, 100 drills, 50 more to get a golf score of 52+18+20=90. Is it cheating because I used the last lap for nothing more than trying for a low GS? Oh well, not sure I've had one below 100 before. Using some drills from a TI book, and one from a Tri mag i found. Need more work balancing on my right arm.
      Gah! You beat my golf score. Therefore, it IS cheating.
      Dutchie42

Hi everyone, hope you don't mind that I crash this thread, but I have a question. I've been swimming nearly all my life but breast stroke only. Learned the freestyle last Sept. Got my advanced swim level certificate in November. Have since joined a Mon swim class (mix of breast stroke, freestyle, butterfly, diving, etc.) and a Thu swim class (freestyle only). I need and want to get faster swimming freestyle. My Thu instructor pays a lot of attention to my technique but says I need more strength in my pecs to be able to swim faster. Mon instructor tells me to work my shoulders more when strength training. Now I'm confused. To swim the freestyle faster, do I need to focus more on my pecs, or my shoulders when I strength train? Thanks.

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

Sorry I don't have any advice for you Dutch; I'm much more of a beginner than you. 1x400-100 drills-2x400-100 drills-1x400-1x50 for 1650 meters in 37 minutes if I take out the drills, I don't time those at all. Golf score first lap of last set 57+17+18=92 last (cheating) lap 49+20+20=89 I could never keep this pace for more than two laps. You know that funny feeling you get right after stepping off a treadmill? Is it normal that the first length of the pool after my drill sets give me that same off balance feeling? I find it odd because all the drills I do are balance drills.
            Likewise, Dutch -- I'm of no help on that question. I practiced speeding up my catch-up drill. With the sped-up version, I was doing 13 strokes/lap. I think it was a little bit of a breakthrough in technique. The aggravating thing about today's swim session was that I seemed out of breath at the wall, even for drills. Had to stop and pause a lot. Grrr. I have a tri coming up -- and I lack both endurance AND speed. Undecided

Sandi Sue

Just like running, swimming faster takes time and stick with'it'ness. You might want to add another swim workout day and work on your drills. Also just like running, faster intervals and working on your speed will teach you how to increase your speed. Do you use bi-lateral breathing? (breathing every 3rd stroke) Breathing on both sides will help you with your form. Recovery laps (swimming a slower lap after a fast lap) is great for increasing your swimming stamina. That's all I have to say about that.

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

Supa Dupa Fly

I agree with Sandi. Adding another swim workout could help a lot. I started back swimming last July (after about 15 years of not swimming regularly) and after trying to do 3 or 4 practices a week I've found that in the past few months I've really improved in my speed and endurance. Where i was only swimming around 1200 to 1500 (or so) yards a practice I'm now doing better about completing 2200 to 3200+yards a practice. Keep at it and it'll come along. good luck! Wink
                ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--
                  Hey all --- I started swimming again recently due to sore knees, doc's advice that I lay off the running for a bit ... and, well, because I missed it! I swam competitively in HS and for fitness/ recreation in college... and forgot how HARD it can be! I joined a Masters swim team ... yesterday's workout: 300 warm up 5 x 200 free pull w buoy (on 4:15) 2 x 200 kick 100 easy 4 x 200 free swim (on 4:00) 4 x 150 kick w fins 12 x 25, 5 push ups one end, 10 sit ups other end 100 cool down 4100 yrds. 1 hr, 45 min Things I learned: 1. "All abilities welcome" means you-swam-competively-up-to-and-including-college-and-are-super-fast 2. Don't wear my "TERPS" swim cap... I look like a former college swimmer who sucked Tongue 3. I am, by far, the slowest person there.
                  2009: BQ?

Gotta TRI

Swam solo today, totally focused on form, total 2000 yds. / 1 Hr. best laps were 18 strokes/ 25 yds. trying to get to 16.
                    2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                    btb1490

4100 yrds. 1 hr, 45 min
                      Dang, that's a heck of a debut! You'll be up to speed in no time! Not only do you have to take care of those knees, but take care of those shoulders too.
                      Dutchie42

Thanks people for the adivice. Not sure where to fit in a third swim right now (am training for a marathon).
                        Swam solo today, totally focused on form, total 2000 yds. / 1 Hr. best laps were 18 strokes/ 25 yds. trying to get to 16.
                        so does this mean that if you can do less strokes you can be equally fast? But have a more powerful stroke?

Dutchie
                        Run the day, or the day runs you.

Gotta TRI

In essence yes. My coach keeps telling me I've got to slow down for one. Two, it's form and technique over muscle. She says I'm a powerful swimmer, but will exhaust myself rapidly by just powering thru it. The other term I liked was forward quadrant swimming. It's taking time but I am finally getting a handle on 1. breathing-( bi-laterally) 2. Rolling my hips. 3. "Gliding" 4. Correct arm posturing-bent elbows 5. Correct kicking ( from the hips) and 6. forward quadrant ( Keeping the arm out front until the next one almost reaches it ) When I do get all that together it's amazing! When I don't....well I drink alot of the pool. Big grin Andy

Sandi Sue

Hey all --- I started swimming again recently due to sore knees, doc's advice that I lay off the running for a bit ... and, well, because I missed it! I swam competitively in HS and for fitness/ recreation in college... and forgot how HARD it can be!
                            Congratulations Trishie. I also love swimming. It really builds up the upper body and is a great running X-training activity. More than likely you won't be the slowest swimmer for long.

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

Andy front quadrant swimming is precisely what I'm working on.* I'm trying to get into the pool (2 days in a row, yippee!) a lot this week to get that cemented into my neuromuscular memory. Not working yet. I am starting from a catch-up drill and am trying to convert it to freestyle after 15 minutes or so. Very awkward at this point. *I can't focus on more than one issue at a time. Roll eyes

Gotta TRI

Andy front quadrant swimming is precisely what I'm working on.* I'm trying to get into the pool (2 days in a row, yippee!) a lot this week to get that cemented into my neuromuscular memory. Not working yet. I am starting from a catch-up drill and am trying to convert it to freestyle after 15 minutes or so. Very awkward at this point. *I can't focus on more than one issue at a time. Roll eyes
                                I know exactly what you mean! If I focus on my stroke, I forget to breathe!! If I focus on my breathing, I forget to kick, so I focus on that and forget something else. BUT, when it does all come together.. it's really cool!! Good luck with it Big grin