Keeping and setting the pace (Read 686 times)

I just finished a 10k with a 10.42 pace. It was very easy for me to run at that pace. (yeah, I know, it was a race so I should have run faster. Tongue ) < insert="" multiple="" excuses="" here="" />> I got a Nike ipod thingy and it said that I just ran 10 miles at a 9:24 pace. I paused the ipod when I stopped at traffic lights and when I stopped to have water and a fruit roll-up (love them!). That might be the reason that my previous logs had slower paces because I used to use Googlemaps pedometer and a heart rate monitor for distance / time, so my stops would be included in those logs. Someone here commented that I might be running my training runs too fast. But everyone seems to be passing me when I'm running. I really feel and look slow. Should I slow down or just keep going? I am worried that if I'm running too fast then I won't be getting the fitness I need to get. Sorry for the rambling message, I hope somebody can figure out the problem. Blush

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

it is hard to run too slow... If you have a heart rate monitor that should tell you if you are running too fast...

The Greatest of All Time

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm Use this as a starting point. Plugging in your 10k PR from May 4 here are the paces it spits out Easy Run: 12:24-12:54 Long Runs: 12:24-13:24 Tempo Runs: 10:49-11:17 I like Daniels better: http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

This is what still mystifies me. I usually run from 10:30 to 11:30 pace on my training runs. That feels very slow to me. But when I put my 5k PR of 30:38 in the calculator, it says I should be training at 12:15 pace. Does it mean I should be capable of racing faster? If my current training pace feels so easy, I would hate to slow it down more. Thanks for any insight!
            I used a heart rate monitor for 2 years and every run was the same: average hr ~140 max hr ~160 (unless it spiked). On my 10k my heart rate average was 151 and the max was ~200. I feel fine at 140+ heart rate but I was huffing a bit today which I put down to the wind. (I haven't used the HR monitor along with the ipod adapter - worried about all those sensors causing some kind of electronic overload Roll eyes ) I would really like to be able to get faster, but I feel that all I'm doing is running longer.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

The Greatest of All Time

This is what still mystifies me. I usually run from 10:30 to 11:30 pace on my training runs. That feels very slow to me. But when I put my 5k PR of 130:38 in the calculator, it says I should be training at 12:15 pace. Does it mean I should be capable of racing faster? If my current training pace feels so easy, I would hate to slow it down more. Thanks for any insight!
              Do you have a HRM? I would be interested in knowing your HR at the paces you're currently running at versus the calculator suggested pace. There is always danger in running your easy runs to fast, but honestly Teresa I wouldn't worry about it right now. When you start seeing poor races and other negative feedback then you may want to look at training paces again. I run around 15-20 seconds faster than my suggested easy pace too. You're a relatively new runner so your race times are going to improve as a natural consequence of ever improving fitness levels. If 10:30-11:30 is comfortable for easy runs, then I say stick with it as long as nothing bad is clearly coming from running at that pace. Don't think too much, just run.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

From looking at your log it appears you simply need to build your monthly base. Once you get over a hundred miles a month your times will fall. BOSTON is a qualifier because most people do not put in the needed miles. Present company included. Smile

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Do you have a HRM? I would be interested in knowing your HR at the paces you're currently running at versus the calculator suggested pace. There is always danger in running your easy runs to fast, but honestly Teresa I wouldn't worry about it right now. When you start seeing poor races and other negative feedback then you may want to look at training paces again. I run around 15-20 seconds faster than my suggested easy pace too. You're a relatively new runner so your race times are going to improve as a natural consequence of ever improving fitness levels. If 10:30-11:30 is comfortable for easy runs, then I say stick with it as long as nothing bad is clearly coming from running at that pace. Don't think too much, just run.
                  Thanks, Marcus. I have a HRM, but I haven't tried it yet. I think I'm afraid of what I will find! Shocked I will give it a try, though. You're right, I definitely think too much. My 5k race pace has improved from 11:07 in early December to 9:40 now, so I'm on the right track.

The Greatest of All Time

My 5k race pace has improved from 11:07 in early December to 9:40 now, so I'm on the right track.
                    That's a huge improvement Teresa. I imagine you have possibly another 2 minutes to shave off of that. You're a worker too, so I have mucho faith in you!!! And you're a Longhorn too. Big grin

A Saucy Wench

Thanks, Marcus. I have a HRM, but I haven't tried it yet. I think I'm afraid of what I will find! Shocked I will give it a try, though. You're right, I definitely think too much. My 5k race pace has improved from 11:07 in early December to 9:40 now, so I'm on the right track.
                      Teresa...I spent a long time with a much smaller race/train difference than recommended. My training pace has not sped up all that much in the past couple years, but my races have. I dont know that the charts work at a certain point. There are some paces that are just mechanically awkward for most people. Sometimes the paces just fall off the shelf. (I cant be on a treadmill between 4.0 and ~ 4.8 mph...its just an impossible pace for me to either walk or jog.) Also...all of those calculators are based on people who have been training for awhile. They may not be accurate for beginners. (and by that I mean the first couple years) The longer I train the more accurate they become.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7