how much rest to take between reps (Read 151 times)

rkid

How much rest should i take if i do 3 or 4 reps of 15min at HM race pace?

PBs:  5k: 20:30  |  10K: 44:55  | Half: 1:45:17

2013 Goals:  sub 20 for 5k  |  sub 45 for 10k  |  sub 1.45 for HM  

an amazing likeness

From your sig line stats...you're probably looking at ~2 miles for the 15 min, so assuming you want to be fairly recovered before the next repeat, that probably means a 1/2 mile easy section, or about...5 minutes.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

rkid

yeh the circuit is 2 miles.i'm just trying to mix up my training and try something new/different.

Feeling the growl again

From your sig line stats...you're probably looking at ~2 miles for the 15 min, so assuming you want to be fairly recovered before the next repeat, that probably means a 1/2 mile easy section, or about...5 minutes.

I was going to say about 5 minutes even before I read MT's response.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

How much rest should i take if i do 3 or 4 reps of 15min at HM race pace?

What's the purpose of this particular workout?  Wouldn't it be more meaningful if you just do 45-60 minutes of HM pace tempo run OR do them faster, cut back the volume, and take, say, 2-5 minutes recovery in between?  The workout you described seems a bit "no-man's land" workout to me.  What do you think, Spaniel?

SMART Approach

Sounds like a "variety" work out to mix things up. 60 minutes at half marathon pace is a lot of work though. Are you a very high mileage runner???  Certainly 5 minutes would be warranted then.  30 minutes continuous at half marathon effort would be a good tempo type work out as would 5 x 1 mile at half pace if a higher mileage runner with 2 min jog breaks.  Variety is nice!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

kcam

I like the 2mile at HMP interval session but my recovery would be short and nowhere near 5 minutes.   More like 90 seconds.  Oops - more like 3min recovery.

rkid

What's the purpose of this particular workout?  Wouldn't it be more meaningful if you just do 45-60 minutes of HM pace tempo run OR do them faster, cut back the volume, and take, say, 2-5 minutes recovery in between?  The workout you described seems a bit "no-man's land" workout to me.  What do you think, Spaniel?

so you're saying i should run them faster? Like i said i was just thinking of trying something different that i'd read on a site elsewhere.

Feeling the growl again

Granted I have not opened the OP's log, but 45-60min at HM pace sounds like a very, very challenging workout to me.  Untapered wouldn't that be approaching race effort for most people?

I frequently did 3X15min ON/5minOFF workouts during a 13-mile run for a few years.  It worked for me.  I normally don't consider HM pace to be no man's land as long as the intervals are pretty long and the recovery reasonably short.  45-60min of total time at HM pace is a lot more doable in pieces than as a straight run, and seems like a good amount of work to me.

If the intervals are too short...like miles at that pace...I'd call it no man's land.  It it was MP I'd call it no man's land.  Except during progressions I don't use the paces between HM easy (which includes MP) very much because unless you are going a long ways it's really not challenging you much.

I would not want to go out and try to run for an hour at HM pace though....but if the OP's HM pace is up around 2 hours it may make more sense.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

so you're saying i should run them faster? Like i said i was just thinking of trying something different that i'd read on a site elsewhere.

I think Nobby's just saying that it's hard to give advice on rest without knowing the purpose of the workout or your training background. I agree.

3-4 x 2mi @ HM w/800m jog is a pretty classic workout, but it really has its place in a whole context of training -- usually building from base work to more specific work.

It depends.  Variety is fine but, personally, within reason; depends on the purpose.  If you're training for a marathon or half, and trying to work on your "stamina" (which I classify as more or less today's term as LT), then it's fine; you do an hour of good clip tempo run, you may want to chop it in segments, again, within reason.  If you want to do that at relatively the same effort/pace then, yes, who said that, I would keep the recovery very short--less than a minute even.  If you're training for something more like a 10k or fast 5k, then I would do more like repeats of a mile, even a bit longer, but faster and then longer recovery.

I actually HAVE tried famous Zatopek's killer 400s--I did 50X400m with 100m recovery.  The emphasis was on stamina.  400 wasn't that fast; 90 seconds.  That was more or less a variety thing--I did it just to say I did it.  I could do 20+ miles at 6:40 pace at that time so it wasn't that taxing.  It was more like boring as hell!! (yeah, I did it on track).  Standard repeats for me at the time was more like 12-15X400 at 78-80 seconds with 400m recovery.  Volume comes down; speed gets faster; recovery gets longer.  Nobody does 50X400 any more; standard now is more like 5 X mile.  If the workout is "speed training", I wouldn't go much more than 5-miles total of fast runs AS INTERVAL/REPETITION.  Volume intervals are quite a bit different.  You do a lot of volume, short recovery (a minute), good clip but more like HM or M pace.  I believe Kenyans under Canova do that sort of workout.  If you take 5-minutes, the same level or "speed" wouldn't do much good except for "variety".  Variety is fine but, if you look at the purpose, you do better off doing it all continuously.

Why is it sideways?

joescott

Desi just did 3 x 2miles. (inspiring.)

Dang, she had a femoral stress fx missed by MRI?!  Wow.  Not to make this all about me Smile but now I wonder again if that's more or less what I had going on back in February.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Desi just did 3 x 2miles. (inspiring.)

Something in my heart can't let go of her -- inspiring in a way that makes me want to run straight through stone walls.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do