Shoes, Socks, and Tape (Read 865 times)

I have a pair of adidas SuperNova that I've been wearing for 200 miles now and they've started to wear blisters on my arches. I think they may have always had this problem, but I didn't notice it until it was too late to return them. So now, I'd like to get as much wear out of them as possible, because I can't afford new shoes. I don't think lacing is the issue because the shoe fits comfortably. I've heard that wearing 2 pairs of socks will eliminate rubbing, but I don't know if that will make it worse or not. I've also considered taping (my foot and/or the inside of the shoe), but I'm wondering if this is effective. Any help would be appreciated. The blisters are right on the arch, where the bed of shoe meets the wall of the shoe. Also, if you could recommend a pair of shoes that would be better for when I can afford them. I loved my last pair of adidas SuperNova, but this pair has given me the blues. Sad

You'll ruin your knees!

You could try two pair of socks, or I have also heard people swear by http://www.wrightsock.com/ as a blister control technique. Another thought is to apply Body Glide or Sport Slick to the area where your shoes rub your feet...should provide some reduction in friction, maybe enough... Good luck, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

mikeymike

I wouldn't tape your foot--to me that would seem likely to just move the blister to somehwere else. Try putting vaseline on your arches--I put vaseline all over my feet for longer races, especially in warm weather. Just a thin layer. And I love your username. I'll be putting a few Guiness down tonight for sure.

Runners run

Scout7

Wrightsocks have worked for me. So has Bodyglide. So has duct tape. Liquid Skin might be an effective measure, too.
          JakeKnight

I have also heard people swear by http://www.wrightsock.com/ as a blister control technique.
            I wear nothing but Wright Socks. They're pricey, but I haven't had a blister with them. Not one. Ever. With regular socks, I got blisters on every long run.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have some Wrightsocks, but I don't really like them--seems that one layer always shrinks more than the other, then I end up with wrinkled socks that drive me nuts. I much prefer Smartwools. No blisters in those and they keep my feet happy in all weather conditions...warm, cold, wet... I've started keeping my eyes open for deals on their regular socks for everyday. Sierra Trading Post and Campmor often have good prices on their socks, which can be pretty $$ full-price. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Bodyglide has really helped me with blisters, I can't recommend it enough. I still get some, but not near as bad as I used to. I know the issue is I wear cotton socks. In my defense, I have tried all manner of running socks, but I'm terribly allergic to a lot of fabrics (wool, certain polyester blends, some silk blends) and every pair of running socks I've tried I end up with a horrible, itchy, nasty rash. I'd rather have the blisterSmile

You'll ruin your knees!

I wear nothing but Wright Socks.
                  Now THERE's a visual we didn't need! Dead

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

JakeKnight

Now THERE's a visual we didn't need! Dead
                    Now if only'd they'd sell them in 3-packs ... and, of course, I'd need 2 mediums and a large. ......... ......... ........ ...... .... .. . ..... cuz my right foot is bigger.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Any help would be appreciated. The blisters are right on the arch, Sad
                      Try taking the insoles out. I've done this myself, not because of blisters, but due to pain there. I no longer believe we need arch supports anyway. Has worked Great! The arch needs to do its job...not be supported. Wink

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

I've tried just about everything - but this works the best for me - I buy it in the 32 oz size!!! Blistershield

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group