Beware Overhydration (Read 1182 times)

Why is it sideways?

It's important to be aware that behind much of the advice you hear about nutrition and fueling during a marathon and/or training may lie a market interest. That market interest is hardly ever going to say that less is more when it comes to consumption of pretty much anything.

#artbydmcbride

Best advice regarding hydration I got was from a 27 year legacy marathoner;  drink early and then drink often.  He told me to drink on the start line and drink at the first 4 water stations, after that just drink to thirst or when I take a gu (4 gu in the last half of the race)   Cool

It takes a little while to get the water to your system where you need it .

Runners run

xor

If I drink on the start line, I'm going to have to stop and pee. Guaranteed.

Best advice regarding hydration I got was from a 27 year legacy marathoner;  drink early and then drink often.  He told me to drink on the start line and drink at the first 4 water stations, after that just drink to thirst or when I take a gu (4 gu in the last half of the race)   Cool

It takes a little while to get the water to your system where you need it .

Holy crap, I'd be pissing constantly if I did that. Shocked

C-R

Or you have BPH. 

And Nobby has made the same point that dumping water on yourself will cool you down. I pour it on my back, though. On the front? Ooh, the chafing. 

BPH???

And chafing can happen anywhere. Yikes.

Holy crap, I'd be pissing constantly if I did that. Shocked

welcome to my racing world.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BPH???

And chafing can happen anywhere. Yikes.

welcome to my racing world.

Benign Prostatic hyperplasia (enlarged prostate). 

I ran the Falmouth Road race a few years ago and it was 86° and humid. It's not so much a race as it is a big party and spectators thought it would be nice of them to point garden houses at you and soak you as you ran by. I didn't even realize my nips had chafed that badly. Until I finished and decided to dive into the ocean. Exquisite pain. 

DoppleBock

I drink at every water station - If there are the standard every 2 miles for the 1st 20 and every mile the last 6.  I will skip the mile 26 if there is one.

I alternate sports drink at one and water at the next.  If it is sports drink I take a little bit of water to get the stickiness out.  I take gels at water ones.

In a serious all out marathon I have never had to pee.  I have had to twice when I ran 4:30+ with my sister and the last one 3:13 - That I ran as a training run.  I drank @ 130 ounces in the race.

When I run at a high effort level I never even have the inkle to tinkle.  But I have such a high sweat rate - That it takes another 4-5 liters of water after the race to finally have to go.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Plus do to many inherant differences in people that I need to do for maximum results is not the same as you.

But I still stand that hydration is something that a person should pay attention to every day.  If you want to drink extra the day before or morning off - Fine - Just do not drink gallons more than normal.

In race - Everyones body has a maximum amount it can absorb per hour - Drinking more than your body can absorb has no value.  Depending on your sweat rate you may need to drink more or less to avoid a state of dehydration.

It's important to be aware that behind much of the advice you hear about nutrition and fueling during a marathon and/or training may lie a market interest. That market interest is hardly ever going to say that less is more when it comes to consumption of pretty much anything.

DoppleBock

I will run really long training runs - Because of what ever reason (Maybe endorphins) I will often not notice chaffing areas until the shower - Many a scream has escaped these lips at the discovery of the chaffing area as water hits it.

AS far as nipples - Mine are always covered with medical tape (The clear tape that they use to tape down IVs) 

I ran the Falmouth Road race a few years ago and it was 86° and humid. It's not so much a race as it is a big party and spectators thought it would be nice of them to point garden houses at you and soak you as you ran by. I didn't even realize my nips had chafed that badly. Until I finished and decided to dive into the ocean. Exquisite pain. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm just thinking this out as I type it, so I may be way off base here, but I want to ask:

The liquid you drink is either going to come out as urine or sweat.

If it comes out as urine, it was a waste of time to drink it.

If it comes out as sweat, it was useful. But, it had to go through your digestive system and out to your skin to get there. Wouldn't it be more efficient to bypass all the internals and just pour water on your skin?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

DoppleBock

If you want to run with me I will just pee on you to keep your skin cool 

I'm just thinking this out as I type it, so I may be way off base here, but I want to ask:

The liquid you drink is either going to come out as urine or sweat.

If it comes out as sweat, it was useful. But, it had to go through your digestive system and out to your skin to get there. Wouldn't it be more efficient to bypass all the internals and just pour water on your skin?

bhearn

Except that it helped you absorb carbs. And if you're hot, you're going to sweat whether or not water is poured on your skin.

There's a lot that would be more efficient in a marathon if we could control all of our autonomic functions.

MTA: But I like DB's answer better.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hey, maybe that Ultima stuff would be alright. It has electrolytes, I think. Even minor ones.

xor

Hey, maybe that Ultima stuff would be alright. It has electrolytes, I think. Even minor ones.

ultima tastes like failure.

bhearn