Sub 17 5k! (Read 2204 times)

Sweet. I remember when sub 5 was still on your plate. Great work. I'm debating tacking a crack at sub-17 this spring/summer. I ran 17:00 in 2004 and that one second has haunted me ever since.
    Yeah, I've gotten swept up by this whole running thing again, man. You're definitely putting in tons of mileage so if you've got the time to throw the speedwork in there and plan for a couple of decent 5k races, I say to give sub 17 a shot!
      As a 37-year old who just got back into running in '07, I find this particularly inspirational. I haven't been in sub-17 shape since 1995, but you've got me believing I can do it. Looking at your log, you've also got me believing I need to run more miles. Nice job!
      If someone would have told me when I started again in '06 that I'd be running 16-something 5ks again, I would have told them to get their head checked. It's definitely possible, man! My only recommendation would be to set incremental goals as you continue your training... sub 20 min, sub 19, etc. Good luck!
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

My only recommendation would be to set incremental goals as you continue your training... sub 20 min, sub 19, etc.
        Good point! I'm already in sub-20 shape, and am aiming for sub-19 in a race in a couple weeks. Sub-18 is my goal for the year, and sub-17 is the goal for next year.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

Good point! I'm already in sub-20 shape, and am aiming for sub-19 in a race in a couple weeks. Sub-18 is my goal for the year, and sub-17 is the goal for next year.
          I had your mom as a goal, and I met that one already. What should I shoot for next, globule?
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I had your mom as a goal, and I met that one already. What should I shoot for next, globule?
            I've got a sister.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

As a 37-year old who just got back into running in '07, I find this particularly inspirational. I haven't been in sub-17 shape since 1995, but you've got me believing I can do it. Looking at your log, you've also got me believing I need to run more miles. Nice job!
              Yep, that about sums it up for me. (all but the sub 17:00 part) Thanks for the motivation, super cool! Kenny

Lazy idiot

I've got a sister.
                How 'bout a Grandma? Scout likes a challenge. And we all know your sister is easy. MTA: Sorry, Chris. No thread is safe from the Scout/Globule running joke.

Tick tock

evtish

Nice!!! You're collecting hardware every time out. I was looking at your log. What incline do you use for the TM??? I'm using 1.5 incline right now for most TM runs, but sometimes like to lower it to 1 so I can go faster. I can go alot faster with no incline, but I read it could mess up your form somewhat, but every once in a while I'll do it bc I want my legs to stride further.
                  Scout7

Sorry, Chris. No thread is safe from the Scout/Globule running joke.
                    Yes, I contemplated not saying anything. But.....the siren song of a Jeff's mom joke was just too strong.
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Evtish: it looks like your avatar is flipping us off. Nice! Scout7: Next time you talk to your mom, be sure to thank her for having her back waxed.

obsessor

That's great. Think of what you can do with more training, and more focussed training. Having got back into running just before age 30, I enjoyed a similar renaissance. In fact, it is possible to greatly exceed any accomplishments you had in HS if you believe in yourself, train well, and do all the little things that you need to do to get there.
                          That's great. Think of what you can do with more training, and more focussed training. Having got back into running just before age 30, I enjoyed a similar renaissance. In fact, it is possible to greatly exceed any accomplishments you had in HS if you believe in yourself, train well, and do all the little things that you need to do to get there.
                          Thanks. I hope you're right! Looks like it's worked out well for you... although I'm not sure I'll have the time to log 300+ mile months. Wow! Shocked
                            Nice!!! You're collecting hardware every time out. I was looking at your log. What incline do you use for the TM??? I'm using 1.5 incline right now for most TM runs, but sometimes like to lower it to 1 so I can go faster. I can go alot faster with no incline, but I read it could mess up your form somewhat, but every once in a while I'll do it bc I want my legs to stride further.
                            Definitely collecting some hardware these days. Big grin I actually use 1% incline for every treadmill run. I could probably stand to go to 1.5-2% but 1% seems to keep my indoor and outdoor runs pretty consistent as far as pace and effort. I'll never go with no incline again. I fractured my foot on the treadmill around this time last year and I blame it on a combination of fatigue, a quick pace and running with no incline (i.e. the bad form you're referring to).
                              Yes, I contemplated not saying anything. But.....the siren song of a Jeff's mom joke was just too strong.
                              No worries. You guys cracked me up!
                              obsessor

Thanks. I hope you're right! Looks like it's worked out well for you... although I'm not sure I'll have the time to log 300+ mile months. Wow! Shocked
                                I'd like to do 15:3X for 5k this year, 2:2x for the marathon, and low 7 hours for 100k. My training is actually far less than it should be, but I'm just coming off winter base, I guess. If you have a way to get faster, faster, let me know. From what I can tell: there are no shortcuts. Do the hills, do the miles, do some tempo or races or intervals or all of those each in its season, do the long runs, and recover adequately, eat right, and the results will follow. My best 1600 from HS was 5:19. At the time, I hadn't a clue about what hard work and miles could do. I thought some people were fast, some were slow (and I was slowest, on the track team) and that was that. Check out that gal who ran 214 miles in a week (somewhere around here there is a link). Actually, she passed 200 miles in 6 days. That's amazing. People who run sub-3 hour marathons on 35 miles a week - that is amazing. People who never get hurt - that is amazing. People who have steady constant high motivation - that is amazing.