Clif Bar at the 2015 Boston Marathon (Read 224 times)

sluggo

John

Hello all,

This is the first year that Clif Bar sponsored the Boston Marathon, providing their Clif Shot gel packs at the mile 17 gel-stop.

I, as volunteer leader at this stop for the last 8 yrs, want to hear any comments you might have. Good, bad, or indifferent. My volunteer crew want to serve the runners as well as we can. I can also pass along your comments to Clif and the BAA.

BTW - standing in the cold and rain sucked. We were there from 7:30 AM until 4:00 PM.

Thanks

---

Sluggo (aka John Mahoney)

John
    www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

C-R

Hey Sluggo.

First thanks for being out there in that mess. Its one thing to be running in it and quite another to volunteer in it. Well done.

Your volunteer team was great. Positive comments and ready for the pass of a gel pack.

Personally I liked the gels. I had a vanilla and a fruit flavored one.  On par with the Gus I brought.

Again, thank you for being out there to support the run. Cool stuff.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

runsonsyrup

Thank you for volunteering. As crummy as the weather was for us runners, it was multiplied for the volunteers.

My only gripe was that the station came at mile 17. I carried my own gels (as I assume most runners did), and started consuming mine at mile 6. I took 2.5 total, from miles 6 to 22. Had I started with one at 17, it would've been too late.

www.runsonsyrup.com

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Thank you for volunteering. As crummy as the weather was for us runners, it was multiplied for the volunteers.

My only gripe was that the station came at mile 17. I carried my own gels (as I assume most runners did), and started consuming mine at mile 6. I took 2.5 total, from miles 6 to 22. Had I started with one at 17, it would've been too late.

I was not at Boston but have had similar experiences at smaller trail races I've done.  Race Directors, if your race is sponsored by a gel company and you advertise that their gels will be available, make them available at EVERY aid station.  Two races I've done were sponsored partially by Hammer and touted having Hammer products available but they were sporadic at best and nobody seemed to know which aid station would have gels or not.