Former military, advance-elite runner with 2 years chronic knees pain (Read 122 times)

Running217

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. Shortly I am 30 years old, 5.10 , 175 lbs, former military. No injuries, very healthy, on the healthy food since my 20.  All my life was doing different sports, last 15 years was very strong into running. Last 10 years I have been running around 4-6 times a week with weekly 50 kilometers. Sometimes more sometimes less. For a few years I was competing and pacing to my friend professional runner.

Two years ago I started having pain in my right knee. After changing shoes, doing physical therapy almost a year I learned to manage the pain but it didn’t go away. My physical therapist was sure that it is a running knee issue and we were working on fixing it his way. At the same time I started doing more cycling. After a year I changed physical therapist and the new one was convinced that my leg muscles were too weak. At the time my left knee started making problems and I had to stop any physical activity. Last couple month I can barely run 5k with pace of  5min/km. We didn’t have any progress with physical therapist obviously. It took me a while but I did have an X-ray and MRI on both knees and they both showed absolutely normal. Here I got super confused.

Right now I am at the chiropractic treatment, which is not very helpful. My orthopedic suggested to start with cortisol injections and if they won’t help to start with plasma injections. Honestly I do not want to be on injections in my 30, and wondering if one of you guys had similar issues or know someone with similar issues. 

Appreciate everyone for responding. Thank you.

dhuffman63

Trails

Were your PT's sports therapists?  If not, I'd see about finding one who is familiar with running before doing any kind of injections.

Running217

I did. Sports orthopedic suggested to start with cortisol.

My strong recommendation is to see if you have a MAT therapist anywhere near you.  Often time physical issues are caused by imbalances in the smaller muscles that have stopped doing their job (layman's explanation).  I have a MAT therapist I've been utilizing off and on for 15 years who has done wonders for me.  Every person I've ever referred to MAT therapy and who has gone has had a very positive experience.

Beware, though - it's not uncommon for doctors and PTs to roll their eyes at MAT therapy.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Still kicking

Retired military here. History of knee injury and knee pain. Long story short: cross training, weightlifting, triathlon, and reducing my miles drastically. I've gone from 70+ mpw on 6-7 days running/week, to 20-30 mpw on 3 days running/week.  I've also converted from heel striker, to forefoot/midfoot foot strike, 10 years ago, and the difference was immediately noticeable. I'm also training In Hoka Bondis, and Race in Hoka Cliftons. Max cushion shoes help.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

Running217

Retired military here. History of knee injury and knee pain. Long story short: cross training, weightlifting, triathlon, and reducing my miles drastically. I've gone from 70+ mpw on 6-7 days running/week, to 20-30 mpw on 3 days running/week.  I've also converted from heel striker, to forefoot/midfoot foot strike, 10 years ago, and the difference was immediately noticeable. I'm also training In Hoka Bondis, and Race in Hoka Cliftons. Max cushion shoes help.

Can you please tell me more  about converting to forefoot steps, what was the process and how long did it take. Just bought hoka  bondi, few weeks ago. Glad to hear that it was a right choice.

Can you please tell me more  about converting to forefoot steps, what was the process and how long did it take. Just bought hoka  bondi, few weeks ago. Glad to hear that it was a right choice.

If you want to instantly go to mid/forefoot striking, ditch the Bondis for some water shoes. Basically a "minimal" shoe that only exists to keep a thin piece of rubber between you and the asphalt. Absolutely no added cushion whatsoever. They FORCE you to run in ways that aren't painful; but you won't set any speed records. I use "minimal" shoes for some workouts, mainly a 1-2 mile warmup before switching into real running shoes.

$10-25 Walmart version:

Men Women Water Sports Shoes Slip-on Quick Dry Aqua Swim Shoes for Pool Beach Surf Walking Water Park

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Still kicking

For me it was pretty simple. I was a heal striker, landing hard on the outside of my heal, and rolling inward. This produced lots of knee pain and terrible shin splints. Even a stress fracture 35 years ago. Toe/midfoot striking is just what it sounds. Think running barefoot at the pool. You will slow you down at first. In your mind, and concentrating where your weight comes down... think tiptoe running. But in reality, especially with the drop of most modern running shoes, from an observer or in photographs or videos, it's looks more like a mid foot landing. After your forefoot lands, and the shock is absorbed, your heel does come down. The whole idea for me was to get the landing impact off my knees, onto the front of my feet, and using my calves as shock absorbers. It works just fine in the Hokas, in fact the 5mm drop of the Bondi is just about perfect. I just went out and did it, trying to ease into it. At first I could only go portions of runs on my toes. It took about 6 months before I could do entire runs, and about a year before I could race well. But for me at least, I've been going strong for 10 years now, with much less knee pain now, than the previous 20 years before. But it hasn't been all perfect. I had a terrible year in 2017, after running ultras for 2 years, with plantar Fasciitis from hell, and my old stress fracture starting to niggle... and that's when I dropped the ultras, and started cross training in earnest, for triathlons. I went from training for ultras, to running 3 days a week 20-30 mpw,, and using the extra time for bike/swim/weightlifting. Man what a difference. I still have tender knees, but the deep fatigue throbbing pain (sometimes swelling) is long gone. And just this spring, I've ran a few races that surprised me. I ran my fastest half in 3 years last month, and my PR Olympic triathlon just last weekend. There were times in the past I thought I was going to put my running on the shelf, just like so many other old farts, who say they used to run but blew their knees out. But now I'm feeling better than ever.

If you want to instantly go to mid/forefoot striking, ditch the Bondis for some water shoes. Basically a "minimal" shoe that only exists to keep a thin piece of rubber between you and the asphalt. Absolutely no added cushion whatsoever. They FORCE you to run in ways that aren't painful; but you won't set any speed records. I use "minimal" shoes for some workouts, mainly a 1-2 mile warmup before switching into real running shoes.

$10-25 Walmart version:

Men Women Water Sports Shoes Slip-on Quick Dry Aqua Swim Shoes for Pool Beach Surf Walking Water Park

Agree with this 100%.

Running217

I want to start engaging my whole foot, last month started walking barefoot outside with the dog. Should I mix running with bondi and running with barefoot shoes or stick to only to one of them?

Running217

What was you best for half marathon and what was your age group?

For me it was pretty simple. I was a heal striker, landing hard on the outside of my heal, and rolling inward. This produced lots of knee pain and terrible shin splints. Even a stress fracture 35 years ago. Toe/midfoot striking is just what it sounds. Think running barefoot at the pool. You will slow you down at first. In your mind, and concentrating where your weight comes down... think tiptoe running. But in reality, especially with the drop of most modern running shoes, from an observer or in photographs or videos, it's looks more like a mid foot landing. After your forefoot lands, and the shock is absorbed, your heel does come down. The whole idea for me was to get the landing impact off my knees, onto the front of my feet, and using my calves as shock absorbers. It works just fine in the Hokas, in fact the 5mm drop of the Bondi is just about perfect. I just went out and did it, trying to ease into it. At first I could only go portions of runs on my toes. It took about 6 months before I could do entire runs, and about a year before I could race well. But for me at least, I've been going strong for 10 years now, with much less knee pain now, than the previous 20 years before. But it hasn't been all perfect. I had a terrible year in 2017, after running ultras for 2 years, with plantar Fasciitis from hell, and my old stress fracture starting to niggle... and that's when I dropped the ultras, and started cross training in earnest, for triathlons. I went from training for ultras, to running 3 days a week 20-30 mpw,, and using the extra time for bike/swim/weightlifting. Man what a difference. I still have tender knees, but the deep fatigue throbbing pain (sometimes swelling) is long gone. And just this spring, I've ran a few races that surprised me. I ran my fastest half in 3 years last month, and my PR Olympic triathlon just last weekend. There were times in the past I thought I was going to put my running on the shelf, just like so many other old farts, who say they used to run but blew their knees out. But now I'm feeling better than ever.

Still kicking

I'm 60, and have been doing this for over 40 years. I've tried the barefoot on the golf course thing, and all it did was get my feet dirty and stuck with stickers and thorns etc. In the height of the minimal fad, I tried that too, and my shins and knees went to shit faster than they ever had before. That stuff works for some folks, but I was already on tender knees, so it just made things worse. In 2013 I went Hoka Bondi and have been the most injury free I've ever been, ever since. Like life, this is all trial and error. Try stuff... keep what works, and throw out what doesn't.

Hi OP I am in the same boat.

Although I have been battling with runners knee for a few months only.

Had to stop running and cycling. Am only swimming now (and gaining weight).

I am working with a PT on massages including Ultrasound wave therqpy. Plus strengthening exercises and religious foam rolling. It has helped but discomfort is still lingering.

Friend of mine did the blood infusions and those are highly effective but out of pocket for me, too steep. I did infrared laser therapy and that did nothing. Cortison as you mentioned, too early it damages the knee in the long run.

The only thing I am able to do is work with the little voice inside my head and tell it: this is gonna take wayyyy longer than you thought. Just forget about 2021. If you are lucky, you will be able to cycle this year. Focus on improving the swimming.

So also glad to hear of any suggestions out there.

But back to you: What are your exact symptoms?

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Running217

Sorry to hear that. So far looks like it will stay with me forever. My right knee is having a pain behind the knee cap, left has pain on the outside of knee cap. 

I would strongly  suggest to stop working out if you are, loose as much as possible of your weight. I am on strict died and do feel some relief. Try chiropractors, 2-3 different ones. Hoka bondi is amazing positive change, I am wearing them every day not just for runs. A lot of PT. 

This is all my experience and nothing helps. Next month will have a consultation with sports surgeon, but I don’t have many choices , if it won’t get better in the next year I will start with injections.

Tom Curry

spam