More miles than degrees club (Read 4509 times)

How sad is it that I am sitting readinf this and thinking " it's -8, all I have to do is run a mile and I am in".
    jeffdonahue

How sad is it that I am sitting readinf this and thinking " it's -8, all I have to do is run a mile and I am in".
      A little less sad than me sitting there this morning and almost NOT going out because I wasnt sure I would be able to run more than 4 miles this morning (it was 4 degrees out).
      ymmv

16 miles at 3 degrees this morning.
        chuckstone

We talked about this in our YMCA bootcamp run today: 6 miles in 4 or 5 degrees, then some of us added more miles for good measure. Maybe we can find certificates!?
          jeffdonahue

Got another one in this morning - 5.6 miles at 3 degrees. Seriously I wanted to run farther than that today but at 5 miles I couldnt feel my fingers any more. WEather.com states the windchill at -7, but I seriously think that was understated because I ran in -9 degrees earlier this month with no windchill and it was definitely warmer than today.
              Got another one in this morning - 5.6 miles at 3 degrees. Seriously I wanted to run farther than that today but at 5 miles I couldnt feel my fingers any more. WEather.com states the windchill at -7, but I seriously think that was understated because I ran in -9 degrees earlier this month with no windchill and it was definitely warmer than today.
              Well that warms my heart, if only it would warm the rest of me. Heading out the door for the Boston Prep 16 miler, and weather.com has Derry NH at 2 degrees. Being able to feel your fingers is so overrated, this oughta be fun.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Wow, who dredged up this moldy oldie post. I sucked it up and ran and x-tra mile this morning to get in with 4.5 miles @ 4F. The weather was clear and sunny with about a foot of snow on the ground. It's been a while since the last snow so the road were clear enough to run on and it felt great to get out. Jeff: Try wearing mittens on the colder runs. I use a light weight pair on any run below 0F. Other than that I just use a pair of CoolMax glove liners. Tom
                  I just noticed this.. not my first more miles than degrees but this morning was -5 and I did a quick 2. Then I came to my senses and saved the rest of my run for lunch time when it should be like 10.
                    Being able to feel your fingers is so overrated, this oughta be fun.
                    You don't need your fingers for running anyway............. Big grin Big grin Big grin I ran 10 miles at 7 degrees and the wind chil was when I left the house was -5 degrees.......UGH.......Spring will get here some day and Ill be really happy about it...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Sara Wulfkuhle

That's awesome! We're all there with you! I was all bundled to do an 8 mile tempo + 2 mile warm-up cool down yesterday, hit the light on my outdoor thermometer and said, "Darn, it is 13!" My husband still in bed, said, "Go to the gym and do it!" I stripped and hopped in the car. Spring will be here soon, but in the meantime... Shocked I know 13 is warm...I have no idea what the windchill was, but I am tired of freezing at this point.

Flat footer

yesterday I did 13.25 mile @ 4°F Cool
                          I was taking the dog for a walk this morning, and it was -8F. I was getting so cold walking that I just started to run. The dog loved it, and I went from freezing to sweating in no time. I had on all my warm winter clothes and was definitely not dressed for a run. I ended up with a mile and a half.
                            Over the weekend, I ran a race in St. Paul. Supposed to be a half-marathon, but shortened to a 10.25k (guaranteed PR) due to the cold (surprise, surprise) since it -15 at the start. In short it was cold! But given all that I was only about 10-15 sec/mile off my 10k PR so overall a nice run.

an amazing likeness

Over the weekend, I ran a race in St. Paul. Supposed to be a half-marathon, but shortened to a 10.25k (guaranteed PR) due to the cold (surprise, surprise) since it -15 at the start. In short it was cold! But given all that I was only about 10-15 sec/mile off my 10k PR so overall a nice run.
                              I have to say running at -15F is just plain rugged. I know you MN, ND, WI and MI people do it all the time, but at about -10F, I start to get uncomfortable with in the incoming cold air and will sack the run. When my teeth are cold, no amount of layers of good gear will help.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

12-week layoff

Today I did 6 miles at 72. Do I win?