Motionbased is ... (Read 769 times)

Prince of Fatness

Unless you take a screen shot of the elevation and upload that to an image hosting site, that is.
    That's what I do. Here is an example of a run from the other day .... from SportTracks.

Not at it at all. 

an amazing likeness

Why use MotionBased at all? I've been religiously uploading my Garmin data since I got it 4 months ago, but I haven't figured out what makes MotionBased useful. Is there something I'm missing? I'm pretty happy with the running log on runningahead.com. What additional information should I be looking for?
      I think reasons would vary quite a bit, by person. For me, some of the reasons for using Motionbased include: -> Elevation information and mapping via the MB "gravity" service -> 'Analyzer' feature shows splits with "where I was on the road" info on map and elevation chart in one view. -> Lots of saved reports that show me things like: Last 7 Days, Runs this month, Mileage by shoes, Races, Runs in different routes, etc (I think RA logs do all this) -> Dot racing different days on same route against each other. (Yes, I race myself...no need for a bib or chip, and I always win) -> I like comparing weather and things about two runs, same course, a year apart. (Me:"Gee, honey did you know it was 43.3F last year on this day and this year it was 64F and I was 2 minutes faster?" ...Her: "Who, cares!") -> History, I've got data in it from May 2006, which creates a reluctance to move to something new and start over, or deal with importing partial data. -> Don't want to bother double-logging in two places. Of course, this all assumes it works. If the performance / uptime it doesn't improve soon, I'll leave for something new.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

easytarget

constantly amazed by how astonishingly inadequate the software for garmin is, either the crap that comes with them or the stuff purchased after the fact w/ software designed at least 7 or 8 years ago by polar i can graph 10-20 data points on any custom graph i care to make up that automatically uploads and automatically creates the graphs most commonly among the data points i focus on: pace per mile w/ splits, elevation change, temperature, calories, speed in mph, just to rattle off a few off the top of my head if you can't graph the above data over time, you can't do heart rate training, or any training really, because the changes only take place over weeks and months Roll eyes
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Motionbased does all these things, and does it well when the servers are not jammed. The problem is that the motionbased software just can't handle the volume of all the users.
          Purdey

Self anointed title

I don't upload or log my Garmin data. I simply use it to enter distance and time into my log on here. I don't want to get drawn into over analysing my running data. More time running and less time thinking about running is my new motto! That said, I'm sure the techno Uber-geeks find benefit in analysis - but that level of detail just isn't worth the time at my level of running!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I find NO benefit in the analysis. I just think it is cool to look at the data.
              mikeymike

if you can't graph the above data over time, you can't do heart rate training, or any training really, because the changes only take place over weeks and months Roll eyes
                So ability to graph minutiae is a prerequisite to all training?

Runners run

Purdey

Self anointed title

I find NO benefit in the analysis. I just think it is cool to look at the data.
                  Define "cool"

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The problem is that the motionbased software just can't handle the volume of all the users.
                    I hope that when RA gets GPS support we don't run into the same problem (i.e. everyone uploading every run's GPS to RA and clogging the tubes).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Define "cool"
                      geeky.
                      I hope that when RA gets GPS support we don't run into the same problem (i.e. everyone uploading every run's GPS to RA and clogging the tubes).
                      Yep. But RA's star developer team is aware of this issue.

Imminent Catastrophe

geeky. Yep. But RA's star developer team is aware of this issue.
                        Hey Eric, you have a star development team! Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

MotionBased is shit. Roll eyes

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

... a load of crap.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.