Cross Country Shoes for a Middle School Girl (Read 105 times)

flatfootruns

Just trying to find a good pair of CC shoes for my 8th grade Daughter...8th grade, so no spiked shoes allowed?"

I'd say she has close to a neutral foot...Hoping...she ran 7thG on Niki Lunar glide 4's...

Thanks...Scott

CMJHawk86

Maybe look for a lightweight trail shoe? Something from the NB Minimus line or maybe Brooks Pure Connect line. Then again for a kid still growing $100 may be a lot to spend on shoes that only get worn in meets.

I currently use a pair of Brooks Green Silence for trail races -- not necessarily "trail" shoes but for some reason I like how they feel on trails. They are discontinued...but my wife recently spotted a pair at Marshall's for $30. So random pairs of the Green Silence are still around. Scour a site like CitySports.com or maybe Amazon and you just might get lucky.

Menace to Sobriety

If there were no issue with the Lunar Glides, why switch?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

HermosaBoy

No spikes allowed?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Just trying to find a good pair of CC shoes for my 8th grade Daughter...8th grade, so no spiked shoes allowed?"

I'd say she has close to a neutral foot...Hoping...she ran 7thG on Niki Lunar glide 4's...

Thanks...Scott

It probably doesn't matter what you get. None of them are comfortable. The point is to have a light snug shoe that can provide some traction.

Really, spikes aren't allowed? That's like not allowing a wrestler to wear wrestling shoes, or telling a baseball player that cant' wear cleats.

Would XC spikes still be considered spikes if you removed the actual spikes? Even though my son's MS allowed spikes, over 3 years, there was only one race where he actually had the metal spikes inserted... just unscrewed them and left the  holes w/out spikes. Though you can get stub spike replacements. 

Nike sells some spikeless XC shoes that my son also used at times: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-NRWM3.html

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

When I ran XC, I would train day-to-day in whatever trainers were most comfortable--the usual type of running shoe. For races I had spikes that I could plug the holes with blanks if spikes weren't allowed or he course had a lot of pavement. I currently have the Brooks Mach Spikeless for racing and they are great for all surfaces, including XC courses.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Nike sells some spikeless XC shoes that my son also used at times: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-NRWM3.html

+1 for the Nike zoom waffles. They fit me like a glove. They have non-spike and spike versions that are the exactly same except the non spike ones have rubber nubs where the spikes went. I didn't use spikes during XC in high school either mostly because we had a lot of courses where we be on asphalt for a decent chunk of it. I only used spikes for track.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

Brooks Mach Spikeless...

Last year's are on sale for mega cheap..
                  http://www.brooksrunning.com/Brooks-Mach-14-Womens-XC-Shoe/120121,default,pd.html

---------

flatfootruns

Thanks for the input everyone, it put me on track (no pun intended) for the CC shoe options...Looks like it might be the Mach 14, waffle has a chance also...