Stupid Question about OA winners & AG winners (Read 100 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Last summer I won overall female in a 10k, and I asked what happens to the AG 1st place award, they told me that the next in line or runner ups would just be moved forward.

This morning's 15k, I placed 4th and getting back home I looked and saw that the 1st place overall female was also in my AG so I got to wondering about this.

Is that a normal thing at races or do RDs get to decide?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Most races do not allow double dipping, i.e. no duplication of awards, so OA awards are given out, then ag awards are given out based on place with the oa winners excluded from consideration.  In races where there are separate masters awards, oa awards are given out, masters awards are given out, then ag awards are given out.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My experience matches that of wcrunner2.

In almost all the races I've been to, OA (overall) runners are awarded first, then Masters winners, then the AG awards are given to the rest of the field. I assume this is the norm. I've used race award software that did these computations for you--you just had to configure it to tell it how many overall winners to take out of the field, and then configure the masters band and how many masters winners, etc.

I have occasionally seen it done differently, even "double-dipping", but that has been quite rare in my experience.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

In almost all the races I've been to, OA (overall) runners are awarded first, then Masters winners, then the AG awards are given to the rest of the field. I assume this is the norm. I've used race award software that did these computations for you--you just had to configure it to tell it how many overall winners to take out of the field, and then configure the masters band and how many masters winners, etc.

I have occasionally seen it done differently, even "double-dipping", but that has been quite rare in my experience.

Perhaps the strangest award distribution I've seen was a neighborhood race where the same runner received awards for first overall, first male, and first in his age group.  He seemed rather confused when they kept calling him up for another award.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Marky_Mark_17

Same here.  They'll tend to award runners the best award and then move everyone else up a slot, e.g. I came third in a race a few years ago, and first Masters (35+), so I got the Masters 1st prize pack and the guy who placed 4th got the 3rd overall prize pack (the Masters 1st one was quite a bit better!).

The only situation I've encountered where this isn't the case here in New Zealand is National Championship races.  If you receive an overall placing, and an age group placing, you get the medal for each.  No real issue there though because there are only medals at stake and no other sponsored prizes.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Perhaps the strangest award distribution I've seen was a neighborhood race where the same runner received awards for first overall, first male, and first in his age group.  He seemed rather confused when they kept calling him up for another award.

But to me, this seems logical. It seems stranger to win your age group when you didn’t win your age group.

Dave

an amazing likeness

Well actually, it is not a stupid question at all; the Race Directors who are clear about awards in the race info are few and far between. I don't mean that negatively...it's just often a surprise.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Local RDs do it both ways here.  So I'd say that if it's important to you, ask ahead of time.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Yea I would think most times overall winners are excluded from the other medals etc...

I once won my age group.... I was gonna say I was the only 36m in my age group etc.... but I think there were a few others/dads running with their kids etc..., lol.

but a win is a win! haha.

300m- 37 sec.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yea I would think most times overall winners are excluded from the other medals etc...

I once won my age group.... I was gonna say I was the only 36m in my age group etc.... but I think there were a few others/dads running with their kids etc..., lol.

Heh...around here we have a few races that offer both tri and du options. In my town there's a popular tri/du with both sprint and olympic distance options. The oly du is the least popular of the 4 races, but the one I prefer. I think I've been on the overall podium every time I've toed the line. This year there were 5 of us females (and I think about the same # of guys). In spite of an extreme personal worst time I still managed 3rd. 1st place woman was absolute first place, crushing the dudes.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zebano

Hah yeah I think most of us get an award that way eventually. You don't control who shows up so be proud of yourself! At a 10k in Boulder, all the really fast people entered the half. I placed 5th in the smaller 10k and was really confused when I got called up as 3rd overall. It turns out 1st OF and 2ndOF had nice prizes so they took those and it moved me up to 3rd where I scored a sweet $25 gift card!

On the other hand 2 weekends ago I raced a 15k trail race where I placed 6th overall. The top 2 got their award and then everybody in places 3-6 were in the 30-45M age group so 3-5 too took the age group awards and I was left holding the bag (shrug). It happens.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)