Running with the sub-3s: Boston Bound (Read 381 times)

bhearn

The concern more is that it's a tricky course to run.  Easy to make mistakes -- going out to fast and crushing your quads before Newton.  I'm still a novice at this so I consider the challenge of the course a technical risk in my sub-3 bid.

I should probably be classified as "doesn't race well with others".  I'd get perturbed if I'm not racing according to plan.

OK then. Seriously, I think you should use one of my Boston-specific pace bands. If you are in sub-3 shape, and conditions are decent, you will run sub-3.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

OK then. Seriously, I think you should use one of my Boston-specific pace bands. If you are in sub-3 shape, and conditions are decent, you will run sub-3.

I'd really love to review it with Coach when we go over my battle-plan.  I don't think I can run this one by feel like I did NYCM.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

lagwagon

wish I were in Boston this year, looks like you, X and I could make things interesting with a wager (or at least some abuse of RA's polling feature).  however my BQ came too late, and the charity bids i've seen are insane, so I'm out.  will be training a week behind you for the NJ marathon.

glad to hear you decided to do Boston as the goal race and the TR half as a training run.  you'll be Bill Rodgers come April, no doubt.

go get 'em!

xhristopher

I'd really love to review it with Coach when we go over my battle-plan.  I don't think I can run this one by feel like I did NYCM.

This thing has been posted a couple times before so was an easy find.

There is an excel spreadsheet floating around that will give you pace strategies too.

bhearn

There is an excel spreadsheet floating around that will give you pace strategies too.

There is, but my splits are better.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

wow, that looks intimidating right now.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

wish I were in Boston this year, looks like you, X and I could make things interesting with a wager (or at least some abuse of RA's polling feature). 

Yeah, we should find a Fall race for you, me, X and Nader.

xhristopher

FYI, I put my name in for the 2014 NYCM "guarenteed entry" lottery. We are out of sync.

xhristopher

wow, that looks intimidating right now.

Having run the course, the first 15-16 miles of the band is actually really "easy" physically but very challenging mentally because of all the restraint that must be exercised. The last 10 is another matter. It always is.

Boston is a fast course. Especially compared to a course like New York. My two fastest times are at Boston. You just have to be smart about it, and as others have said a pace bracelet can be a valuable tool for this course.

The course usually can be broken up into 0-16, 16-21, 21-finish. The hard part is 16-21 (though mile 19 is fast....). The key is not to go to fast 0-16, don't kill it through 16-21 (except for 19), to leave yourself something for 16-finish.

For me, I'll probably be stuck back in corral 6 or 7 (DNS'd my fall marathon to try and get a faster time). I think my goal will be to be fastest runner from my corral

Best Present Ever

Coach will tell you to run even slower at the beginning.  And will stress that the route is strewn with the bodies of those who didn't heed his advice.

xhristopher

Coach will tell you to run even slower at the beginning.  And will stress that the route is strewn with the bodies of those who didn't heed his advice.

Since the first mile of Boston drops about 100 feet so holding back to 7:00 from stadjak's corral will feel "tripping over yourself slow" as people fly past left and right. I'm sure it's a good first mile split time for keeping things under control.

Best Present Ever

Since the first mile of Boston drops about 100 feet so holding back to 7:00 from stadjak's corral will feel "tripping over yourself slow" as people fly past left and right. I'm sure it's a good first mile split time for keeping things under control.

That was more of an inside joke about the predictability of Coach, whom we both know and love,  than a specific comment about the recommended times.  I should have sent it as a private message.

xhristopher

That was more of an inside joke about the predictability of Coach, whom we both know and love,  than a specific comment about the recommended times.  I should have sent it as a private message.

Ah, yes. Coach who recommended he start NYCM with a 9 minute mile or something. Well, this can be a test for Coach. If he says 8 minutes for the first mile of Boston from the 3:04 corral he's trying to get his boy trampled.

lagwagon

it'd be nice if there were a real hard race in late Nov in a central spot like TN.