Garmin 935 vs Apple Watch 4 or 5 (Read 108 times)

rjames66

Looking to purchase either the Garmin Forerunner 935 or an Apple Watch to upgrade what I am using. Would love to hear people’s thoughts especially if you have switched from one to the other.  Thanks in advance

I love my Apple watch and my Garmin Fenix 5s.  Apple watch is not nearly as good for a running watch.  Battery drains fast and it just isn't quite there yet.  Go with the Garmin if you want mainly a running GPS watch.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Running Problem

Problem Child

If you want a running watch with smart watch features buy a Garmin.

If you want a smart watch with running watch features buy an Apple watch.

I've run with people who have an Apple watch and they have problems doing workouts because the watch doesn't have a lap button so they'd have to create an entirely new run for each interval. It tracks their running distance and pace just fine outside of this. My Garmin 235 will pop text message and email notifications to me and allow me to control my music. I rarely need to get a text during a run, and I don't listen to music. I bought a garmin because I wanted a running watch more than a smart watch.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

runmichigan

I own a Garmin Forerunner 935.  The 935 and the newer 945 are higher end running watches.  If you really do not need the extra features on the 935 or 945, I would recommend going with a 235 or 245.  They have the basic features that most runners want or need.

I agree with the previous poster that Apple is a smart watch with some running features.  Garmin watches are running watches with some smart watch features.

dhuffman63

Trails

I have the 235 and it's what I need for what I do...trails.  I check my HR and the GPS but know they aren't 100% accurate and that works for me.

You don't say what you are looking for.  The only issue I have with mine is battery life BUT I can charge on the go whereas the newer FR's and others you cannot.  When I'm looking at getting a new one I'll look at the Coros as the battery life is supposed to be excellent.  I don't need all the bells and whistles the more expensive watches have.

MarathoninginMT

I have both a Garmin 735XT and an Apple Watch Nike Series 4.  I prefer the Garmin for running.  The GPS is more accurate.  It is also easier for intervals, etc. as mentioned.  With the Apple Watch you have to tap the screen to record an interval and after a year of using it, I still don't have the precise tap down.

If you are into heart rate data, the Apple Watch is probably more accurate and it can record heart rate while swimming which my Garmin cannot without special straps, etc..  (I am not familiar with newer versions of the Garmin for swimming.)

The Apple Watch is definitely sleeker looking - not so sporty so you can wear it anywhere.  You can control your music/podcasts from the watch screen - but you still have to run with your phone.  You can answer calls using your watch - a fun James Bond/Star Trek like feature (but only if your phone is in the vicinity.)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm not sure what Apple watch provides that a good Garmin does not. A different selection of third party apps, perhaps. I was a little shocked to learn that only this year does the Apple watch have an always-on display. My Vivoactive 3 has had it for 2.5 years. Also, I think it's pretty sleek looking, compared with the Forerunners.

rjames66

Thank you for the feedback

I love my Apple watch and my Garmin Fenix 5s.  Apple watch is not nearly as good for a running watch.  Battery drains fast and it just isn't quite there yet.  Go with the Garmin if you want mainly a running GPS watch.

rjames66

Thanks

I'm not sure what Apple watch provides that a good Garmin does not. A different selection of third party apps, perhaps. I was a little shocked to learn that only this year does the Apple watch have an always-on display. My Vivoactive 3 has had it for 2.5 years. Also, I think it's pretty sleek looking, compared with the Forerunners.

rjames66

rjames66

Thank you

rjames66

Thanks to everyone for all the input. I am looking for more of a running watch with some smart watch features.

dhuffman63

Trails

Go to dcrainmaker.com....he does a lot of testing and you can compare various makes/models based on features you want.

rjames66

Thank you!

Go to dcrainmaker.com....he does a lot of testing and you can compare various makes/models based on features you want.

Lemons89

I Was not aware that we could play games in our Apple watch after installing some special application. Is it true? However online info is not reliable sometimes. On the other hand, I tried essay fixer https://studyclerk.com/plagiarism-fixer online website after checking the reviews and, one of my friends even use the same for their homework and content related. which is one of the nice options and this is how you never put much time into it.