2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

flovesparko

Dopple Bock,     mark me down for Boston this year.  Thanks for taking over and also a big thanks to Jim for last year.   I definitely need to have my name listed because I am seriously lacking motivation right now.  It might just be enough of an incentive to get me back training.

Are we there yet?

Dopple Bock,     mark me down for Boston this year.  Thanks for taking over and also a big thanks to Jim for last year.   I definitely need to have my name listed because I am seriously lacking motivation right now.  It might just be enough of an incentive to get me back training.

flovesparko.. don't let me beat you in Boston.. it looks like you have gone on a tear of PR's the second half of this year and you are at the PEAK of your running career.. like myself, I hope to see you set some new goals and kick ass in 2010!!  Perhaps this poem will help refuel the fire.. if not, I'll be sure to wait for you at the finish

http://www.afhill.com/gothedistance/2005/12/why-do-i-run/

DoppleBock

Running is a tough master. 

I have went from feeling like the sub 2:45 was in the bag to a long shot in less than a week.

Left foot flexor is pretty bad ... Combination of really high mileage and speed workouts in December.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Mark me in for an attempt at Boston.

I've got the 5k indicator down and have got races at other paces setup to give me true times for the 10k / Half  over the next 4 months.

Plus it'll give me something to actually train for. 

DoppleBock

Running is a tough master. 

I have went from feeling like the sub 2:45 was in the bag to a long shot in less than a week.

Left foot flexor is pretty bad ... Combination of really high mileage and speed workouts in December.

Still in a lot of pain - Had it x-rayed today and I think I am going to give acupuncture a try.

Welcome - amcneice - you are on the list - I like you workout "Bomb"

I'm new to this group, but I'm willing to add my name to the list.  I ran 2:46 in Vegas this year, and I hope to try a sub 2:40 at the Sacramento Cowtown Marathon on October 3rd.  My PR is 2:44:51 from 16 years ago in college, and it would be nice to say I bettered at least one of my youthful PR's.

Until then, I'm doing the Way Too Cool 50k in March (my first ultra) and working on my 10k/half marathon speed in the spring/early summer.  I don't know if I can get down to sub 2:40 shape, but at 37 I figure there's not much more of an opportunity.  If I can run a sub 1:16 half, that will give me a lot more confidence.

DoppleBock

I'm new to this group, but I'm willing to add my name to the list.  I ran 2:46 in Vegas this year, and I hope to try a sub 2:40 at the Sacramento Cowtown Marathon on October 3rd.  My PR is 2:44:51 from 16 years ago in college, and it would be nice to say I bettered at least one of my youthful PR's.

Until then, I'm doing the Way Too Cool 50k in March (my first ultra) and working on my 10k/half marathon speed in the spring/early summer.  I don't know if I can get down to sub 2:40 shape, but at 37 I figure there's not much more of an opportunity.  If I can run a sub 1:16 half, that will give me a lot more confidence.

Welcome - I have added you to the list

Have fun at the 50k - I am more of a 50 mile and beyond guy, but some day I would like to try a 50k.  I will put < 2:40 as goal - To keep you motivated Smile

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring.  Looking to run a sub 3:00 for my first marathon in the fall 2010 - maybe Baystate, but probably Manchester City.

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

jordirio

I'm another candidate for sub 3 in 2010

I will try in Barcelona (Spain) in March 7th 2010

Happy new year¡¡¡

10km 38'19''

HM 1h22'07''

M 2h58'44'' 

altmizzle

I'll play.

I'm going to try to run under 3:00 on Feb. 7th at the Tallahassee Marathon, which will also be my marathon debut.  My wife and I just had our first baby on Christmas Eve, so the last month of training will be interesting!

Good luck to everyone shooting for this.

"If within us, we find nothing above us, we succumb to whatever is around us."

DoppleBock

I'll play.

I'm going to try to run under 3:00 on Feb. 7th at the Tallahassee Marathon, which will also be my marathon debut.  My wife and I just had our first baby on Christmas Eve, so the last month of training will be interesting!

Good luck to everyone shooting for this.

Welcome - Congrats on the baby - tough to balance

I am taking the 2:45 off as a goal - I am still not running and have gained 10#.  I had planned on weighing 190 and now I will likely weigh 200.  I am cross training, but its no substitute for running - at least in you last 5 weeks before the marathon.  I am still hopeful to break 3:00, but I will have to start running soon for that.

Hi-

I am also looking to break the 3:00 mark at Boston in April 2010.  This will be my 8th consecutive Boston.  I ran the first 6 all at around the same time of 3:35...except for this past year.  This year was the best training that I have ever had and I ran a 3:16!  I followed that with a fall marathon in October, by knocking off about 7 mins and running a 3:09.  Currently I am three weeks in to training for Boston 2010 and I couldn't be any more excited.  Nine minutes will be a lot to knock off, but I think that with the right training it could definitely be a possibility.  (And if not Boston, then definitely in some fall marathon!) 

Good luck everyone!

Helen :-)

My story is amazingly similar to Helen's. 3:13:33 at Boston and a 3:06:27 in October.  Boston may not be realistic to break 3:00, however, a Fall marathon may be just the ticket.

Steve

DoppleBock

My story is amazingly similar to Helen's. 3:13:33 at Boston and a 3:06:27 in October.  Boston may not be realistic to break 3:00, however, a Fall marathon may be just the ticket.

Not quit sure if you are declaring or not - If so, I need the marathon that you are taking a shot at sub 3:00.

3:06 to sub 3:00 is not as hard as you think - good luck!

Welcome - amcneice - you are on the list - I like you workout "Bomb"

I think I borrowed that from a Hanson article.   I found a mid week 'bomb' really helped me out for last year at Myrtle Beach.   I'd like to cycle it between 8 - 14 miles over the course of the next few months.    For the longer ones,  I might have to not be as aggressive knocking the seconds off.

Got to be more consistent with my progression.  I think the last one,  I went 7, 6:30, 5:50.    Usually I shot for 15 - 20 off each mile.

Did 16 tonight in the wicked cold,  14 - 16 were at 6:40 pace which had me feeling good.  Joints didn't like the combination of speed + cold but this is the first week it's been consistently in the 30 here.   Got to adjust. 

Are we there yet?

3:06 to sub 3:00 is not as hard as you think - good luck!

What about 2:56 to 2:49.. how hard is that DB? what's the recipe?

I was thinking JAN 50/wk FEB 70/wk MAR 80/wk..  please don't tell me 130/wk haha