Question (Read 640 times)

Can someone explain this to me or at least lead me in the right direction. Say you take two runners who start at the same time and are running at approximately the same pace. One runner has a history of exercise dating back to 2001 and the other has no exercise history. The runner with no exercise history makes greater gains in their running than does the one with the history. Why?
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

Dave

This happened to me at work today. OK, not exactly but similar. I was the slower of the two, talking about the upcoming Army 10 miler. The other guy runs maybe a third of my mileage and is shooting for about 3 minutes faster than I will probably run. We're both about the same age. Actually, he was a couple of years older. Some people are born to run fast.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

This happened to me at work today. OK, not exactly but similar. I was the slower of the two, talking about the upcoming Army 10 miler. The other guy runs maybe a third of my mileage and is shooting for about 3 minutes faster than I will probably run. We're both about the same age. Actually, he was a couple of years older. Some people are born to run fast.
        Yep. But it just doesn't seem fair for my son to be so blazing fast and for me to be such a slug!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My MIL is 62 and could STILL kick my ass at any shorter distance. When she was still racing up until a few years ago she would frequently place in her AG. I only place if only a half-dozen or so people show up and have a bad day. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Can someone explain this to me or at least lead me in the right direction. Say you take two runners who start at the same time and are running at approximately the same pace. One runner has a history of exercise dating back to 2001 and the other has no exercise history. The runner with no exercise history makes greater gains in their running than does the one with the history. Why?
            Probably because of hte one with the history is already closer to their max potential than the person with no history. If you are close to your potential best it takes ALOT of work to improve, sombody that is far from there potential can improve with only a little bit of work.
              Good genetics means a lot.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

A Saucy Wench

Probably because of hte one with the history is already closer to their max potential than the person with no history. If you are close to your potential best it takes ALOT of work to improve, sombody that is far from there potential can improve with only a little bit of work.
                Yup. Everyone makes the greatest gains when they first start. I've been running awhile now. My running p is new to running and runs very close to the same pace I do. I have no doubts that if she were to keep training hard she will be faster than me by next year. Actually I think she already is, but still needs practice with pacing herself to really blow me away. Actually for comparison to how fast she is improving...she ran her first 10K with me when I was 5+ months pregnant and slower than I had been in eons. We ran the same pace ~ 11mm. Since then I have stopped being pregnant, lost a crap load of weight and training like crazy and we still run the same pace ~ 7:45 mm.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

There're also a boatload of other variables, right back to childhood play. I started running 4 years ago, was pretty fast to start with, really, but havn't really improved a whole lot compared to some people. I've dropped 3½ minutes from the 5K that I could run before I started training. Playing other sports, and how I played them, and mostly things I did when I was much younger, gave me a pretty good base to start from before I even started running.