4 mile race report (Read 586 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I took part in a local 4 miler last night and I can say that I was very nervous, especially given the fact that just in my warm up session I had severe calf cramps. Undecided Anyway, I went to the front with the geyhounds, so as not to get caught up in the big crowd, and went off ok. Elbows were flying and you could hear the occasional 'sorry mate', as someone else had an elbow or a fist in their back! I anticipated that if all went well I could do the course in 29 minutes, 4 x 7:15 m/miles: this as a rough estimate I had come up woth from the mcmillan calculator and based on my current VDOT. I had it in my head that I would do the first 2 slower and then go for the negative split. Previous race experience has seen me go off to fast, with the thrill of the chae, and only to find that I have had a positive split, which is extremely hard work, and demoralising as it ends up that numerous people overtaking me. This time I focused in the first mile at going out very easy, only to find that I had done a 6:54 mile. Too fast, so I slowed it down and did the second in 7:09. I was way ahead of my virtual race partner on my garmin 305, and still felt quite strong for the negative split. Breathing was ok and i felt great (let you into a little secret - go get the book entitled 'chi running'. It has helped me relax and stay focused). Anyhow back to the race, just passing the halfway mark, passed my brother who was cheering me on: "Come on Paul, relaxed and strong, he chanted". Always nice to hear that and i felt good. The third mile saw me battling with a few breathing issues, but all was good when i saw that i had got to the last mile. Everything seemed to subside and I did the last mile in 6:49. The last 100m was the most difficult as I thought that I could just collapse there and then. A few people ahead of me where in sight, and I gave it my all and beat them to the finish line in a time of 27:44. (average of 6:55 mile pace - So happy with the time and I came 103 out of 175, so I was happy. PS, this is my actual 2nd official race since starting, all the others have been virtual. My first race was in december, and I did 10k in average of 8:08 m/miles. Now this is 6 months down the line, Is it likely that I can get down to 6 m/miles over the next 6 months? Any help or advice please. Come a long way since 262lbs and a 14 minute mile. Very happy but always striving to do better next time. (I hope). Comments more than welcome please Smile

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Now this is 6 months down the line, Is it likely that I can get down to 6 m/miles over the next 6 months? Any help or advice please. Come a long way since 262lbs and a 14 minute mile. Very happy but always striving to do better next time. (I hope).
      If you're not doing speedwork, that can definitely help--but I would wait until you have a solid year of mileage under your belt. The fact that you could go from a 14 minute mile and such large stature to where you are now definitely tells me that you know how to work hard and with consistency. That right there may go a long way to shaving some time off your pace. Great race report! I wish we had evening races around here...I'm NOT a morning person! Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Into the wild

Hello Eddy, I enjoyed reading your report fella; great effort and plenty to be excited about for the future. You've done well to come so far so quickly but, looking at your log, there is no surprise: you've put the effort in Smile I've no advice other than build steadily on this base of yours and your times will improve; watch out for over training injuries: only you know when you're pushing too hard. Regards, Johnny

Shut up and run

Congratz. great effort!
          Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD

Lazy idiot

Awesome improvement! Big grin I'll quietly echo the overtraining concerns. Just make sure to listen to your body. (And a 27 minute 4-miler is only 41st percentile? Yikes! Sounds like the whole race was filled with greyhounds! I'll keep racing over here where my 33 minute 4-miler was 74th percentile.) Tongue

Tick tock

You're fast dude! Smile The only 4 mile race so far for me was done in around 32mins. modal who regrets not getting out last night or this morning to get his legs a movin

Vim

Slow-smooth-fast

Awesome improvement! Big grin I'll quietly echo the overtraining concerns. Just make sure to listen to your body. (And a 27 minute 4-miler is only 41st percentile? Yikes! Sounds like the whole race was filled with greyhounds! I'll keep racing over here where my 33 minute 4-miler was 74th percentile.) Tongue
                here is a link for the results, check out first place time! http://ukresults.net/2007/chorley4.html

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Lazy idiot

here is a link for the results, check out first place time!
                  Geesh, I wish. I guess my race did contain some walkers as well.

Tick tock

Great job, Paul! That certainly does look like a fast field and you are definitely improving quickly!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Nice job Paul, WTG. Definitely a loaded field -- almost everyone was affiliated with a club. That doesn't guarantee a fast field but it sure helps. Nice toughness in bearing down at the finish and bringing to the house strong. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Slow-smooth-fast

thankyou for all the replies. Always good to get support, keep it coming, and help in any way you can, particularly from the greyhounds out there! Big grin

Great race!! Smile
                          2009: BQ?