Side Stitch (Read 888 times)

I often get side stitch (always right side) during my run, last about 1 - 3 minutes.

The Wikipedia talked about causes and prevention (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stitch). I am not sure if it is due to my lunch, dehydration, or my abs not fit enough.

I usually have quite a big lunch (one roasted chicken breast + sweet potato fries (20 pieces maybe) + a big apple + half liter water) at about 1 - 2 pm. My normal run is about 5:30pm after work. Before I run, I don't drink anything. I don't sweat a lot. After a 3 miles run, I only get some back and a little chest sweat.

At weekend long run (like 7 miles), I don't bring any water or liquid with me.

I regularly do a 8 min abs workout (108 in total and 2-3 times a week).

Any analysis and advice is appreciated.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

I occasionally get a side stitch, typically during a race.  Some deep belly breathing makes it go away. 

Fast breathing can cause this.  Make sure that you don't start so fast that your breathing is out of control.

Roadrunner's Apprentice

I get side stitches on occasion if I push my pace too fast for what my breathing can handle.  Deep breathing like JRMichler suggested does the trick for me too.  Sounds like you allow more than ample time after eating, I've gone out on far less time personally. 

2014 Goals:

- sub-26 5K : sub-56 10K : 1st half marathon

- Tell my excuses to shut up and lace up...

kcam

I have not had a side stitch since I was a kid (pre-teen).

I don't know why I don't get them, maybe I don't ever push myself hard enough?  One thing which may or not be related is that I long ago trained myself to belly breathe pretty much all the time when I'm running.  Definitely try the belly breathing  thing.

Definitely try the belly breathing  thing.

I exchange both nose and belly breathing.

It maybe my breathing is not gentle enough as mxkieran mentioned. I may try belly and Pursed Lip Breathing and see how it goes.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

More running.... I used to get stitches, now it never happens. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Oxygen is oxygen, whether it enters the nose or mouth.  I do suspect that a side stitch has something to do with oxygen deficiency, perhaps at the liver or nearby part of the digestive system.  I don't think it's a muscle issue only.

juniordo1

I often get side stitch (always right side) during my run, last about 1 - 3 minutes.

The Wikipedia talked about causes and prevention (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stitch). I am not sure if it is due to my lunch, dehydration, or my abs not fit enough.

I usually have quite a big lunch (one roasted chicken breast + sweet potato fries (20 pieces maybe) + a big apple + half liter water) at about 1 - 2 pm. My normal run is about 5:30pm after work. Before I run, I don't drink anything. I don't sweat a lot. After a 3 miles run, I only get some back and a little chest sweat.

At weekend long run (like 7 miles), I don't bring any water or liquid with me.

I regularly do a 8 min abs workout (108 in total and 2-3 times a week).

Any analysis and advice is appreciated.

I don't get too many side stitches anymore but I deal with them by attempting to exhale longer than my inhale and using my abs to force the exhale up and out. The contraction of my abs to exhale seems to unlock the stitch as I can feel the contraction through the painful area. This is extremely difficult at higher pace but works well for me on everyday runs.

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

Thank you all for the great tips and experiences sharing.

I remember someone said taking care of exhale, inhale will take care of itself since the body needs the oxygen. When I use pursed lip exhale and try to exhale all air, my breathing pattern can not be consistent. Sometimes I have to adjust it.

juniordo1, how do you deal with the race breathing if the method you use only work well during training?

flatland mountaineer

Deep breath out when your left foot hits the ground. I don't ever get them anymore but that worked like a charm when I first started.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

dennrunner

Deep breath out when your left foot hits the ground. I don't ever get them anymore but that worked like a charm when I first started.

This.

How do you do it? The exhale takes more than 2 seconds. Do you mean the last one on left foot? I tried, but I found it is very difficult to get it on the left foot. Yesterday I still had a little side stitch lasting about 20 seconds at the end of my run on the hill.

flatland mountaineer

It can be evey other foot strike, every third strike, whatever matches your cadence and I try to have the exhalation completed by the time the left foot comes off the ground and maybe a 2 second exhale might be a little overkill. You might have to slow your pace a little until the stitch goes away and definiely slow until you get the exhale timing down. It takes a little practice, hope this helps, good luck.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hi David....I had a lot of problems with side stitch when I first started running, and I still get them sometimes.  I'm mostly just echoing what others here have said, but deep belly breathing is definitely good.  I also read somewhere to forcibly blow air out through your mouth when you exhale, which seems to help.  (It's meant to make sure the diaphragm relaxes completely between every breath.)  I'm not as rigid about it now, but I used to do a pattern of breathing where I exhaled for three steps and inhaled for two.  I still revert to a fixed pattern (often 3-3) now if I get a side stitch, and slow the pace a bit until it goes away.  Hope you get it sorted!