2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

finbad

Sling- great win, good that you kept pushing and won by a margin.

Lela - good to see you back

Weather & JT - consistent good stuff from both of you with really nice long runs

JMac - Nailed it. Good looking front-loaded week too. If I were you I'd only go for 2:39 in great conditions. Madison sounds like he's got good advice on 1:20 for the halfway

DW - That sucks. I can't speak to the allergies obviously but race-wise that was a strong showing on a bad day.

My week: pulled up only a little sore from the half last weekend and am now mostly over the illness

M - kettlebells and 5 easy

T - 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 minutes effort. Just ran to feel. 3 easy later on

W -  5 easy + 6 easy

T - Lunchtime 9 w. 30 mins tempo (5:50ish), evening 8 with negative split (6:09ish on the return)

F - 9 easy

S - 3 easy

S - 19 w. 5M MP (6:07ish) 1M float (6:35) 5M MP (6:07)

76 miles for the week and more quality than I'd normally do but decided to do either an over-distance long run or a double workout day about this far out as a stretch workout (read up on it in a Canova piece a few months ago). Only thing I probably shouldn't have done this week is cycling last night back from a gig after the morning long run - think it's tightened up the quads a touch.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

ZZCaptainObvious

Wow, some good racing all around.

45.2 this week, so building back up. 4, 6.6, 4.1, Off, 6.2, 19 (ow - first run this long since Nov 2018), 5.4.

Andres1045

Really exciting racing everyone! This is certainly an enjoyable time of year to follow everyone.

Darkwave - I thought you just had a regular bad day. But that sounds terrible. I know it's not worth much hearing this, but it really is impressive managing that time with what you went through. I would have thrown in the towel at some point. Assuming you get another chance, seems to me that you'll be closer to, if not under 1:22 than 1:23. And if you don't get another chance this cycle, looks like you'll be comfortably under 1:02 for Cherry Blossom. What's your goal for that race?

JMac - Stellar race this weekend. You're certainly a gutsy runner! All this "I hope to just get under 1:19" and then you go out there and blow that out of the water. I'd be careful about getting too aggressive in Boston early. Like Madison says, that first half is flying. It's going to feel super easy. But I think your style of running has you really giving it a go at the end. If done right, you could actually negative split Boston. Doesn't make much sense for most, but I think for you it might. If you have something left, and you're decent on hills, those last 5 miles can be screaming fast. If I were you, I'd go out at just a touch under marathon effort for the first half. You'll still get the fastest split you've had in a marathon. Take your licks with the hills (I doubt you lose much more than a minute, and probably less than that), and then you'll be ready to rock the end. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about pace or splits. Doing so obviously wasn't worth much this weekend. Focus on the effort level. The mile splits will kind of be all over the place, and that's fine. Focus on getting to mile 21 with enough left to let it rip.

Upcoming races: Boston

weatherboy80

Darkwave: From what you described that was a great time all things considered.  I know when things go badly they are usually non-linear time wise so well done and just remember you are a lot faster than this!

Fin and Madison:  Nice big weeks!  I'm thinking about jumping into a 5K Saturday and giving it a go.  Feeling like I lost a bit of my speed (as expected) so it should be interesting to sharpen up.

JT: Big week with an excellent looking workout as those 4 X 2 mile repeats are some of the toughest out there!

ZZ:  Congrats on getting in a LR again!

Pretty much agree with Andres about Boston.  I wouldn't worry about pace at all for the first 2-3 miles especially with the crowding although JMac will be pretty much up front so the crowds will thin out faster.  Really would love to be able to hammer those last 5-6 miles after Heartbreak as that would be such a great feeling.  The first year I raced Boston my legs didn't have anything left after the hills so I faded slightly.

4 weeks from today!  I'm really ready for a taper at this point Smile  Thinking Bib numbers should come out this week?

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

jayluf

Congrats to sling, JMac, Lela (I think you coach my wife Christine!), and Darkwave on races this past weekend.

Had a lot of fun at Shamrock yesterday! Definitely lucky to have had great weather for a beach side race. I'm very happy with 1:22:25 (78 second PR!). Ran a solid race overall with a strong finish where my last mile was fastest of the race. There's room to be a lot more aggressive out there and I think there's tremendous upside potential in the next 6 months to take a huge chunk off that PR. Excited for the last 4 weeks before Boston to gain additional fitness and go crush that course!

finbad

Captain - solid week

Andres - nice race

Jayluf - very nice race and shiny new PR

Weather - I'm going for another 3k race next week to blast away the cobwebs

Starting to get pretty excited to race now. JMac, I'm arriving in NY on Monday the 8th and will be staying in Brooklyn Heights for 3 nights, Strava shows you're in the upper East side, is that right? Not too convenient but I'm on my holidays so have lots of time so could come and meet you for a shakeout run. Let me know what works for you nearer the time and I'll slide into your Strava mentions with my phone number.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Dark Wave - so sorry to hear about the issues. If it wasnt ingesting the wrong thing maybe you should get in to get it checked out.

Jmac - Nice Race congrats on the shiny new PR.

Sling -  congrats always nice to have a W.  You sure you don't want to run with GabbyTri sounds like youre right around his train schedule.

JT nice job on the 3200,  how long did those recovery 800s take. seem way too long for that intensity. JMHO.

Looks like you guys are going to have great spring races.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Bibs are Up....

weatherboy80

Just saw that! Looks like JMac, Fin, and I will all be starting in corral 2

http://registration.baa.org/2019/cf/Public/iframe_EntryLists.cfm

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

finbad

How do I find my number? I haven't got a username that I know of

got it- thanks

So, how does it work? Is each corral 1000 runners or something?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jeez not even that close to the first corral. Seems like if there is one race where congestion at the start is good, it's Boston, to prevent you shooting out of the gate too fast. I'll take it. Based on my attempt to meet up with Andres at NYC in the corral, I imagine it's going to be nearly impossible to find each other. We can discuss as we get closer though.

Regarding number of people, I don't think it's actually one for one, given fewer than 30K runners finish yet there are 32.5K bibs.

Jay - Nice race! Your training has been coming along nicely based on what I see on Strava.

Fin - yeah we're like worlds apart if you're in Brooklyn Heights, but let's see if we can get it done.

Andres (and Madison) - thanks! I may have gone to the well a bit too much in the race as I'm way more sore than I thought I would be, but very happy with the result. I think you're right on the 1:20 to start. I've done a few different calculations and I think the right approach is to be looking at 1:20-1:21 in the first half. As you said though, I just run by feel though, I rarely go by what my watch is saying, so maybe I should stop worrying about what to target. The only time I look at splits is just to make sure I'm not getting too hot in miles 3-6, which for Boston will be anything sub 6. As long as I keep it north of 6:00, I'll just go with the flow.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

finbad

Nimmals - you mentioned the Truth workout in passing recently. I had it explained to me a few years ago over on rwol and I think even tried to do it but have now forgotten the details. Could you remind me please?

M_M_C

3 flat is wave 1 corral 6

Edit: is every mile at Boston marked?

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

slingrunner

According to what I read, e very mile is marked.

Also 1.6

For anybody that has run Boston before, is there a wait time between corrals?  Like wave 1 starts at 10:02 and wave 2 at 10:25.  As a corral 6 person, will I be starting like 10:06 or 10:20?

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals - you mentioned the Truth workout in passing recently. I had it explained to me a few years ago over on rwol and I think even tried to do it but have now forgotten the details. Could you remind me please?

Jmac - Have Someone Bring a 3'x2' Placard say Runningahead sub 3 and meet under the main tent closest to the chutes gate.

The one that was a swimming pool last year.

FinBad - My young Padawan is doing it this weekend. She just ran her first 10K this weekend and PR'd the 2nd 5K. she ran 37:44 for her 1st 10K, I'm a proud Pappa.

The truth is 4 miles at MP plus 90

6 miles at MP

4 miles at MP plus +35

6 miles at MP minus -10

2 easy

Megladon's  Truth Run is:

4 miles at MP plus 90  =8:10/mi

6 miles at MP  = 6:40/mi

4 miles at MP plus +35     = 7:15/mi

6 miles at MP minus -10   =6:30/mi

2 easy @ 9:30/mi

Its tough but its worth it. Its done 3-5 weeks out.

3/18 -3/24/2019 ~ 86 miles

“Truth Shall Set you Free”

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thu

Fri Off or

Sat or Off

Sun 22 mi “Truth Run”