Gaining Muscle during training (Read 56 times)

BSharp94

Hello all,

Has anyone tried to put on muscle while maintaining a running schedule? I was a college runner a few years ago and have put on a few pounds of muscle since. However, I find myself having a hard time focusing on one goal at a time. When I am running, I want to be lifting. When I am lifting, I want to be running.

I thought this year, I would try to focus on both. Running in the morning and lifting in the afternoon. Has anyone had any success with this? If so, what was the suggested diet? I currently do about 40 miles a week running and 4-5 strength training workouts a week.

Thanks,

Brian

I couldn’t gain muscle when I was was running 30 to 40 miles a week. But when I dropped to 20 miles I could.

in my late 20s I was at my strongest lifting twice a week and running 3 times a week

Marky_Mark_17

You're going to struggle to gain muscle running that many miles.  Honestly, trying to do both those things is counter-productive, and depending how hard you are pushing each activity also puts you at risk of injury.

You probably just need to focus on one that you want to improve and realise that the other will be more in 'maintenance' mode.  I used to do a lot more weights a few years ago, but made the call to focus on running (normally 5-6 days/week) and I just do weights a couple times a week.  I'm not building muscle and I've lost probably around 6-7kg but I'm maintaining my current strength just fine.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Still kicking

If you're on Face Book, check out the Lift Heavy Run Long group. That's what they are all about. They can answer your questions, and point you in the right direction. There's some bad asses there that can bench press a refrigerator, and then kick your butt in an ultra.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

BSharp94

Thanks all for the advice! I consulted with a nutritionist who said similar things. It is very difficult to put on muscle when running over 20 miles a week. However, she noted that with a higher protein diet, one may be able to gain some muscle but at the expense of not having the same recovery from harder runs. I think I am going to continue to run my normal training plan with some added calisthenics and a high-calorie diet. If anyone is interested in the results, Ill keep the thread updated. Thanks again!