Best way to log walks in the training log (Read 683 times)

I'm trying to decide whether to log my walks as a type of run or as a cross training. I'm doing a lot of walking, mostly because I need to lose a lot of weight and the extra miles are good for that but they do affect the amount I can run. I've got my walks in as cross training now but I'm thinking about putting them in a type of run so that I can track shoes and visualize my total mileage a bit better when it comes to the combo of the running and walking. Can anyone think of a drawback to doing this that I might not be thinking about. Does anyone else on here do this?
    The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
    • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
    • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
    • Complete a 10K fun run
      The most important thing to remember is that its your log so you should use it in the way that best serves you. Your reasons for logging walks as runs make sense to me, especially since your walks are specifically geared towards fitness and weight loss. I might have a different answer if someone wanted to log their walks back and forth to the ice cream shop. Wink

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Imminent Catastrophe

Go ahead and record it as a "run" type, as long as you're walking briskly and getting some aerobic benefit. It's still "miles on your feet". And it is good to track the shoe mileage too. MTC: spelling

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I log it as a run type. After knee problems and surgery I've had to resort to mostly walking for excercise and I want to keep track of how many miles it puts on my shoes. Any walks that go in the log are "walks for the purpose of taking a walk", not just saunters around town. If you ever want to subtract your walking mileage you can go use the search function to total up the mileage of all the "walk" run types over a certain time period. Plus it makes me happy to actually SEE bars on my log and know that even if I can't really run at least I am still on my feet. And since it's your log you can do whatever you want. Smile
            I added a category and log it seperately.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

JakeKnight

The most important thing to remember is that its your log so you should use it in the way that best serves you. Your reasons for logging walks as runs make sense to me, especially since your walks are specifically geared towards fitness and weight loss. I might have a different answer if someone wanted to log their walks back and forth to the ice cream shop. Wink
              What he said. It's your log, do what you want. But since your walking is a specific part of your training, and you're losing weight and working towards running more ... if I were you, I'd count the mileage and log it. We have people here who are race walkers. That's their training. And it's hard training, just like I'm sure yours is hard. I wouldn't tell them not to log it, so why shouldn't you? If you're sweating and breathing hard, its log-worthy. If you're walking your dog and smoking a cigar, not so much.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------