Why the Kenyans are so fast (Read 693 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I have over 100 publications and am associate editor of a journal.

Given that I have close to 1000 clinical studies bookmarked, give me a link to any word which you've written, and I'll gladly give you a list of studies which prove you're an idiot.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

My first SJ experience has been fun, but it's getting redundant.  Back to the Kenyan load-bearing women again, huh?  Maybe just a few more and then I'm out.

You lasted longer than most.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

You lasted longer than most.

Of course, most runners would rather believe the barf they think is true, rather than contemplate the science which is true.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

GC100k

Given that I have close to 1000 clinical studies bookmarked, give me a link to any word which you've written, and I'll gladly give you a list of studies which prove you're an idiot.

Sigh. I am the one person in this thread who said you might have legit ideas and I would try them (I actually did the masking tape drill tonight) and you are calling me an idiot. Stay classy Robert.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Sigh. I am the one person in this thread who said you might have legit ideas and I would try them (I actually did the masking tape drill tonight) and you are calling me an idiot. Stay classy Robert.

Glad you did, so why don't you describe your experience?

Because since it eliminate any vertical lift in your walking, science says it cuts your energy expenditure. Stew could figure it out, so how capable are you to mimic what he writes?

Of course, most runners would rather believe the barf they think is true, rather than contemplate the science which is true.

Ah, you do see my posts. Any thoughts on my original question?

MTA: For what it is worth, I thought of you that day.

C-R

But you are not his intellectual equal and thus could never appreciate the genius that is SJ. I hear Einstein had similar issues.

Here is a money quote from one of his writings, "Rather than stare at a television set to watch runners, I prefer to examine fossil records."

Yup. Proof positive that ancient rocks hold the key to the sub 2 hour marathon

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Um he admits it in numerous articles

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1137972/index.htm

I thought Ma's army won because of herbal tonics.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

But you are not his intellectual equal and thus could never appreciate the genius that is SJ. I hear Einstein had similar issues.

Here is a money quote from one of his writings, "Rather than stare at a television set to watch runners, I prefer to examine fossil records."

Yup. Proof positive that ancient rocks hold the key to the sub 2 hour marathon

Maybe you should read the works of others having the same interests.http://playthink.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/sdarticle-1.pdf

Exactly, so not sure why you can't even endure racing a local 5K?  It's pretty hilarious that your own technique isn't effective enough to allow you to race a 5K.

In learning how to reduce the energy wasted on body movement above your hips, what reduces it to a 3% level of energy expenditure is what allows walking or running for me to have the least amount of pain I have to endure per step

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Exactly, so not sure why you can't even endure racing a local 5K?  It's pretty hilarious that your own technique isn't effective enough to allow you to race a 5K.

Lets make your argument fair. You go stand in front of a vehicle and let it hit you with an impact force leaving you 40ft away from the point of the impact. If you're lucky enough to be alive, then we'll race.

GC100k

Lets make your argument fair. You go stand in front of a vehicle and let it hit you with an impact force leaving you 40ft away from the point of the impact. If you're lucky enough to be alive, then we'll race.

You look fine in those videos. Since your upper body does not move and there is no bouncing or impact, you should be okay.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think MilkTruck could do that.

Nice discussion, guys.  Alternatively, you might consider arguing with a brick wall.

I'm going to go drool on my barstool now.

I got it.  Earlier you said all the damage was to your shoulder.  You say: "I can't run/walk for long because of shoulder pain".  When I press the point then it becomes: "I was hit by a vehicle and thrown 40ft" but don't set any concrete expectations about your capabilities.  So how long exactly can you maintain this 9 MPH pace of yours?  10 feet, 100 meters, 1K?

GC100k

You can see the horribly disabled SJ demonstrating his technique in the following videos.  As you can plainly see, it is so much different than anyone else walking and is easily 20% more efficient.

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao0xvCMVfDk&feature=c4-overview&list=UU3l_gBpuAKDgVfO2aEhyo9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVso_DFTL7k&list=UU3l_gBpuAKDgVfO2aEhyo9Q

I tried his drill.  I didn't notice a magic 20% increase in efficiency, but I'm an idiot, so that might be why.