Just signed up for my first marathon (Read 505 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Richmond Marathon - November 14, 2009 I'll be running it in memory of my brother who died on December 21, 2003. November 14 is his birthday and he would have turned 40 on the day I run. I'm even getting Run4Stephen printed on my bib instead of my name. Now, I have a year to get ready. Smile

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

What a wonderful way to honor your brother! You can do it. Good luck and let us know how your training goes and do post a race report logging the success you have at the race after it is over so we can further congratulate you.

TRUST THE PROCESS

missy1102

what a wonderful tribute. best of luck to you in your training!
        FutureIronMan

amazing....its definately an honor to run in someones memory...it shows how much you care and how much you are willing to go thru for the person..... not to take away from what you doing....last yr i ran in miami in honor for a kid who lost his battle to cancer....and trust me i went thru hell....lost 100 pounds..and ran it....his parents forever grateful
            Aww that's a really nice reason to do a marathon Smile I don't know how he died but if it was a disease are you going to raise money for that cause? Not meaning to pry, of course.
            theyapper

On the road again...

amazing....its definately an honor to run in someones memory...it shows how much you care and how much you are willing to go thru for the person..... not to take away from what you doing....last yr i ran in miami in honor for a kid who lost his battle to cancer....and trust me i went thru hell....lost 100 pounds..and ran it....his parents forever grateful
              Wow. That is an awesome tribute. I think for me it's just a great way to honor my brother because he never could have done something like this. He had cerebral palsy and was mentally handicapped as well. He ultimately died from a broken heart after our mother passed away unexpectedly 20 days before he did. The only downside for me right now is having to wait a whole year to run the marathon for him.

Paul

Jill_B

I fly.

That is one of the nicest reasons to run a race and such a nice way to honor your brother. Good luck with all of your training!

Bring it on.

theyapper

On the road again...

That is one of the nicest reasons to run a race and such a nice way to honor your brother. Good luck with all of your training!
                  Thanks. I've gotten so much great advice here sice I started running in April, and I'm sure I'll be a sponge for the next year while I keep training.

Paul

kcam

Very nice, Yapper. Your brother will be there with you throughout your training and racing. Good luck.
                      Richmond Marathon - November 14, 2009 I'll be running it in memory of my brother who died on December 21, 2003. November 14 is his birthday and he would have turned 40 on the day I run. I'm even getting Run4Stephen printed on my bib instead of my name. Now, I have a year to get ready. Smile
                      Excellent Yapper -- you've got plent of time to get ready.....You will have a great day........I know its a year fom now, but I love reading the race reports.........will be looking for it.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Way to go for it yapper! I printed out the application for my first three times. I was so hesitant to fill it out and send it in that I lost two copies before completing and mailing the third. Even after I stuffed the check and completed app in the envelope I think it was about a week before my trembling hand actually dropped it in the mailbox. A healthy respect for the distance is all you need to stick to a training plan, and consistency in training is the key to a successful first. Daddyo had a great line in his siggie, something like "the training you do is the real marathon, the race itself is your victory lap". Best of luck!

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.