LA Marathon Race Report (Read 784 times)

madness baby

We wake up at 5, eat a hearty breakfast, and head out to take the subway to the race. Well, we drive up to the Valley, get on a bus, and then take the subway to the start. And they wonder why nobody takes public transport here. Some of the marathon shirts said “Nobody walks in LA.” That’s right, everyone drives in LA. Or, runs. We get to Universal, stand in line for the toilets, make some friends who do tris, and drop off our sweats. As we’re walking towards the start line, a photographer stops us. So, I lean over to pose with my husband, and she says, “oh no, just you.” I look at her kind of funny, and she says she’s taking pictures for fashion & style at the race. She’s eyeing my skirt. Oh yes, the little black skirt. My husband laughed, said I’d be on perezhilton.com or something, and I knew that if I didn’t win the race, at least I was fashionable. The race starts and we’re about 10 minutes behind the clock. While walking, some guy tells us he ran the new point-to-point course and that he disappointed, it’s very ugly. I’m concerned because we’re about to spend 5 hours on it. But, as we get close to the start line I can hear “I love LA” blasting from the speakers. It’s going to be a good day. We get going and are keeping a good pace. There’s a huge bottleneck and a steep downhill that seemed dangerous running, so I can’t imagine how the people in wheelchairs made it. We come down past the Hollywood Bowl and down the hill into Hollywood. This was one of the coolest moments for me, just exhilarating, and I got the chills. We run down Hollywood Blvd, past all the touristy sights. I run to find a “toilet” behind a church in Hollywood and I return to the street only to find my husband having a bloody mary with some fans. So I, of course, have a shot, thank those friendly neighbors, and we head on. We turn south through the old part of town where old Hollywood stars used to live. Ritzy. Then east into the Garment District and Koreatown—the streets are wide but there sure isn’t much to look at. The drummers and Korean dancers are very cool, but the crowds are sparse. Plus, memories of being stuck in traffic in Koreatown kind of ruins it for me. But, somewhere in there my husband hears a lady yelling “cerveza,” and off goes he goes to the sidelines. I take one too, and the lady yells “no, it’s beer, hon” a few times. I said, “I know! (all smiles)” Then I realize the mix-up as I’m running away, shot of beer in hand, and tell her that I am 28, almost 29! She then runs alongside us for a while, tray in hand, saying she needs to start running marathons. I take another shot of beer. And, it was Sierra Nevada. Nice. We run by the Olympic Coliseum, then we take MLK Jr. into South LA. We run north past the Staples Center and some of my husband’s friends see us. What a surprise. Then we head into East LA. Highlight #2: the Sixth Street bridge. The view of downtown from the bridge is amazing and catches me off guard. We’ve got it in the bag. Now we head downtown. The fans are calling our names (all the bibs have names printed on them) and there are thousands of people. I almost start crying at Mile 25, as I realize I am going to make it (this had previously been threatened at mile 21 due to some stomach issues) and I nearly lose it. I pull it back together and continue running. We finish strong, get our medals, and I’m so exhausted I just tear up a little and start processing the pain that started about 10 seconds after crossing the finish line. Thankfully, it’s only been getting better since taking an ice cold shower and eating cookie dough ice cream. Overall, the race didn’t hurt as badly as I thought it would. It was, however, just as hard mentally as I thought it would be. The first part felt great, and I felt like my husband and I were pacing pretty well (meaning, slowly enough so I could get to the end). By mile 11, I was feeling little aches and starting to get really hot. Miles 15-20 were the longest, which probably had to do with the lack of scenery and the obscene heat. Starting after mile 5 or so, the fire department had the hydrants showering us in the street. I soaked myself once every mile at least, more if it was available. Thank you, firemen, thank you. Once we got into some lower income areas, the fans really picked it up. We started hearing our names being called and kids were giving us high fives. Though the sights were nothing, the fans were so generous, spraying us with their hoses, passing out sponges, and handing out bottles of water. I felt dehydrated the entire race after mile 5 or so, despite stopping at every water stop. From miles 21-24, I had some stomach cramping, but by mile 24, after the 6th street bridge I was good to go. The stomach thing really slowed us down. Oh well, grabbed some pretzels to help with my hunger pains and weakness, and we finished well. Running through downtown was fantastic. Something I will never forget. The course might not have been the prettiest, but it certainly reflects LA. And those fans in South and East LA were the best. People in LA sure love LA, and it shows on a hot day when they’re out there supporting 25,000 runners. Thrilled to have completed my first marathon here.
    deb
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So, I lean over to pose with my husband, and she says, “oh no, just you.” I look at her kind of funny, and she says she’s taking pictures for fashion & style at the race. She’s eyeing my skirt. Oh yes, the little black skirt. My husband laughed, said I’d be on perezhilton.com or something, and I knew that if I didn’t win the race, at least I was fashionable. The course might not have been the prettiest, but it certainly reflects LA. And those fans in South and East LA were the best. People in LA sure love LA, and it shows on a hot day when they’re out there supporting 25,000 runners. Thrilled to have completed my first marathon here.
      It's all about the skirt, babe! Big grin You know, I've only been to LA once and I really only saw the pretty parts, but I LOVED that city! If I had to live in a big city I think I would really like LA--the weather sure beats Chicago! And what an awesome race description...really makes me want to do this someday. I have a good friend in El Segundo who has been trying to talk me into doing LA someday. And it's so tempting...I just don't know how I would get the miles in to be ready for that with our Winter weather. Can't you talk to someone about moving it to Fall...? Wink I'm glad you had such a great first marathon experience...so, when's your next one? Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Jill_B

I fly.

Great job and thanks for the excellent race report. My best friend ran it too (her first also) and I haven't gotten the full recap from her yet, so I'm excited to hear about it.

Bring it on.

Fantastic! Thank you for your report. It is great your first was such a great experience. So are you hooked on marathons now? Which one is your next? Ewa
          I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill

madness baby

Thanks everyone. Smile
            Great job and thanks for the excellent race report. My best friend ran it too (her first also) and I haven't gotten the full recap from her yet, so I'm excited to hear about it.
            I'd love to hear what your friend thought! I don't know what's up next. Yesterday was a bike ride. Today I'm attempting to wear heels. Tomorrow is rest. I'm not thinking too far in the future yet Wink I'll get there I'm sure. Big grin
            deb
              Everything about that report made me wish I had run LA instead of Orange County. But I was afraid of such a large venue for my first marathon. Congrats on finishing, and for not being too handicapped afterward! Big grin
              "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
                Great report and Congratulations! Gives me that extra motivation towards my HM in April and RnR Marathon in June. 5 weeks down, 13 to go. Reading the race reports helps to keep me and i'm sure others focused on the end goal(s).
                Jill_B

I fly.

I'd love to hear what your friend thought!
                  I'll post her review once she emails it to me... I think she's still recovering!

Bring it on.

Congrats on running LA! Big grin
                    2009: BQ?

Prophet!

Nice job on finishing the marathon... what's next ?

Imminent Catastrophe

(this had previously been threatened at mile 21 due to some stomach issues) .
                        I can't imagine why, after bloody marys and Sierra Nevada! Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

madness baby

I can't imagine why, after bloody marys and Sierra Nevada! Big grin
                          Ha ha! I know, something to dull the pain! Wink They were so little, though-I could've used more. Smile
                          deb

madness baby

Nice job on finishing the marathon... what's next ?
                            Yesterday I think I told a friend I'd train with her to run a marathon next year. Am I crazy? I couldn't believe it when I heard it slip, so soon after this while I'm still recovering. Right now, though, I'm thinking I'll probably look for a half this fall. Smile
                            deb
                              Definitely sounds like you've caught the madness. Thanks for such a great report - I love it when I get a shiver while I read as it brings back all the emotions of running one's own races. We'll be looking for you on the cover of Cosmo magazine in your little black skirt!
                              1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."
                              muse_runner

keep running.

Not to thread jack but... Callie B where do you live? Do you want a running buddy? We run similar paces and I could always use company! Orange County was a beaauuuutiful day. You did very very well on your first marathon! LA marathon was very hot outside and I am not sure if you made the wrong decision. Anyhow if you're interested in a running buddy let me know! Jen
                                running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.