Wow! What a cool site. Quick question. (Read 818 times)

Hey Jeff - I'm going to be up in the area this weekend. Which race are you running - I may have time to get to a race while I'm visiting. Thanks in advance and Good Luck!
    ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
      Hi Mary. St Mary Mercy Hospital in Livonia on Sat. Start time is 9am. Can get info at www.stmarymercy.org
      mummydust

I'll differ a little bit here and say eat a normal breakfast but have it at least two hours before the race. If your race goes anything like my first 140 or so, you will find pre race jitters taking you to the potty way more than normal. No need to load up on extra fluids. Try to relax, start mid pack and don't get swept away with the fast ones. If you find yourself behind a real slow person, don't freak out and zig zag all around everyone. There will be room to pass soon enough. Run a normal pace for the first two miles, then see how many people you can pass in the last mile. After the finish think about how you could have done better and sign up for another one real quick. You will have a better idea of how to pace yourself in the second race. Be sure to post a report, we are curious to see how it goes. You are smart to start racing with a 5K. I did a 1/2 marathon for my first race, that was a bad idea.
        redleaf

Hi Jeff - I just wanted to say good luck with the race! I have my first real 5k race at the end of the month. I'm already getting excited about it so I can't imagine how you're feeling right now! (I say real race 'cause I never really could run before even though I've done a couple of 5k fundraising things in the past)

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

evtish

Jeff, Good luck and have fun. The fact that you asked about times shows that you are competitive and want to go your fastest and are not in it just to finish. The best advice you've seen repeated is not to go out too fast in the first 1/2 mile, you will burn your legs out and the last 2 miles your legs will be hurting. How do you know you're going too fast? It's hard to know as a beginner unless you have a Garmin that tracks the pace real time. Believe me, you're adrenaline will kick when the gun goes off and you can fly the first 1/4 to 1/2 mile and you'll still think the pace is slow. You actually have to force yourself to run at what "feels" like a way too slow pace at the start. You should measure the course and pick landmarks for the first 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 mile marks. You can go to mapmyrun or other sites to get the distances. Then, calculate the time you should hit those points to keep your goal pace. For example, your goal time looks like a bit above an 8:00 mpm pace so maybe 2:05/4:10/6:15 for the splits. You'll still go out a little too fast, but if you plan it out like this, you won't burn yourself out in the first mile. I've run over 20 5k's this year, wear a Garmin, and still go out too fast! Blush
              Thanks for the advice Tom. I guess I will be happy if I can do it in under 25 min. We are supposed to get blasted with rain tomorrow. I hope it holds off til after the race. I will try and start out at my normal pace but unfortunately for me I have more heart than brains so it's going to be tough watching all these people ahead of me.