Intervals vs Repeats (Read 191 times)

ckerr1999

I was wondering what the difference is between intervals and repeats? I am assuming they have different purposes?? thanks

DaBurger

Many people use them interchangeably, I'll usually say "I'm running an interval workout" or "I'm running repeat miles",

However there are some training plans/books (Jack Daniels comes to mind) where there are "R" pace and "I" pace workouts, the "R" often gets extended to "repeat" and are faster while the "I" is interval and usually slower.

MTA: the R pace intervals in a Daniels plan are focused on getting your legs neuromuscularly used to what race pace should feel like (basically just getting your legs able to move that quickly), and I pace is used for longer, more aerobically focused workouts.

Know thyself.

an amazing likeness

There probably is something different at a purely technical, skilled, runner level....but I believe most folks just use the two terms interchangeably in general.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Technically, "interval" refers to the recovery time between repeats.

MoBramExam

There probably is something different at a purely technical, skilled, runner level....but I believe most folks just use the two terms interchangeably in general.

Agree with this characterization.

That said, the "interval" is actually the period between the work session.  Because that is the way I learned it, I have always used the term interval workout when jogging between work sessions.  A repeat workout is when I take a full rest (walk) between work sessions.

mikeymike

Some people (who may or may not be pedantic weenies) will tell you interval workouts are generally longer and the recovery interval is short and of fixed duration, whereas repeats are shorter and faster with close to full recovery in between.

Another definition you may hear is that the repeat is the work and the interval is the recovery. I don't like that definition because it's just goofy.

But lots of people use  the terms "intervals" and "repeats" pretty much interchangeably and go on to live perfectly happy and productive lives.

Runners run

Another definition you may hear is that the repeat is the work and the interval is the recovery. I don't like that definition because it's just goofy.

VERY offended.

TripleBock

Like MoBramExam - I have always understood an interval to have a set time or distance with a set time of distance of recovery.  A repeat as a set time or distance with a full recovery before you repeat.

But I pretty much use them interchangeably ... no that's a lie, I pretty much call everything an interval.  But if people say they did repeats, I mentally catalogue them with intervals.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Like everyone has said, the terms are used interchangeably, which may or may not lead to a perfectly happy and productive life.

However, I'm more inclined to call them repeats if they are all the same distance (12x400m, 6x800m, 3x1mi, etc.). Back in the 80's when football coaches doubled as track coaches, Coach said, "Repeat Quarters!", not "High Aerobic Intervals!"

MTA: fixde tpyo

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Most people use them interchangeably, but according to Jack Daniels' Training Formula, "interval" = "rest between repeats" and "repeats" = "speedy portions"

So interval training refers to training that involves intervals of rest.  The repeats are the actual effort/workbout/what have you.  But that's just Daniels.  I think colloquially it's all the same.

ETA I guess I could see myself more inclined to call short sprints 'reps', too, because for me they're like weight lifting reps.  You know, short explosive movements.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

sort of OT, but I find it interesting that on my son's HS XC team, when they have a hard day they call it a "workout", but they have no name for the other days. I guess it's JUST A RUN.

Not that it really matters what they call it, but it's more a little concerning to me that by giving a hard day a special name, the implication is that the other days don't really matter.  Perhaps someday, for those that continue running, they'll realize there's a purpose to every run, even if it's not a _workout_.

elodie.kaye

sort of OT, but I find it interesting that on my son's HS XC team, when they have a hard day they call it a "workout", but they have no name for the other days. I guess it's JUST A RUN.

Not that it really matters what they call it, but it's more a little concerning to me that by giving a hard day a special name, the implication is that the other days don't really matter.  Perhaps someday, for those that continue running, they'll realize there's a purpose to every run, even if it's not a _workout_.

A girls' team I got to know (in CA) calls easy runs 'socials', and easy pace is 'social pace', which captures the spirit nicely I think.  The boys' team at the same school has no name for them, even though they do some workouts together.  Maybe teenage boys don't like to admit to doing anything easy or social?  I dunno.

I suspect in hs, they're doing more "workouts" per week during season than recreational adult runners are. The non-workouts are fillers, easy, base building (in summer), whatever. Like you said: just a run.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog