The 38 year comeback! (Read 102 times)

mjhaston

I ran through middle school, high school and 2 years of college before dropping out.  Once I didn't have a team to train with anymore, I pretty much fell off.  I remember running a 10K around 1991 at my old high school, but that was it.  Back in college in 1984 I weighed around 140 lbs.  Fast forward to 2020 I found myself at 207 lbs and doing absolutely nothing physical.  I'm a software engineer and always had a 1-2 hour commute each way, so I sat a good 12 hours per day.

In 2020 I finally joined a gym that has 45 minute classes, 5 day / week and an accompanying nutrition program.  The food program is just sensible eating.  No fads or BS.  Just eating good food, in the right portions at the right times.  I dropped from 207 to 180 lbs during my first 10 week challenge and then dropped another 10-15 lbs.  

Feeling stronger and lighter, but still a good 35 lbs heavier than college, I decided to "jog" a bit.  I ran about 10 miles per week for 3 weeks and joined a local 5K.  The last time I had run a 5K or 10K, 31 - 38 years ago, I was running around a 5:10 pace on hilly courses.  I ran my only marathon in 1983 at a 6:30 pace, so in my head I was thinking surely I could keep my old marathon pace for a 5K race!  Haha, nope.  Not even close!  I had absolutely no idea what I was in for!  I ran 26:15 (8:27 pace) on a relatively flat course and wanted to quit most of the way!  Guys pushing strollers were blowing past me!

I swore off running for 2 months, but then gave it another shot.  During the Summer and Fall I averaged 60 miles per month.  I started running some interval work.  Another shocker!  My last interval workouts in 1983, I was running :70 - 400m repeats.  My first 400m on a cinder was 2:15 and I thought I was going to die.  I think I managed 3 x 400 that night and wandered home.  I did manage to run some more successful interval workouts the rest of the year, averaging 1:50 per 400m, whether I was running a 400m or 1200m.

I ran local 5K races just about every 3 weeks until Thanksgiving and slowly brought my 5K down a minute at a time from 26:00 to running pretty consistently just above 22:00.  I'm still grappling with being happy running 2:00 per mile slower than I did at one point.  I still see a few guys my age (58) running under 20:00.

My goal this year is to run a 21:00 5K and break 6:00 in a mile slightly downhill Smile  Knee soreness and constant calf strains have been hampering me.  I have major back issues, but I deal with them.  I'm trying to run every other day, 3-5 miles and start back with one interval workout a week once it warms up a bit.  I read a lot about striders instead of intervals.  I may try that this Spring.  

It's nice to be active again.

--------

PR's: 1 mile - 5:59.4 (2023) | 5K - 20:59 (2023) | 5M - 35:42 (2023) | 10K - 45:12 (2024) | 10M - 1:18:33 (2024) | HM - 1:40:04 (2024)

Up-coming Races:  Bookin for Lookin 5K (4/21/24), Yes You Can 5K (4/28/24).

mjhaston

I have questions!

Did anyone else take decades off and come back to running?  How long did it take to feel comfortable again.  Did your speed return?  Did some of it return!?  This is a much slower process than I'd expected! Smile

I'm 58, so my max heart rate is supposed to be 162.  Is it okay if that's usually around my average heart rate during a race and go as high as 180 at times according to my Garmin?

Should I be running intervals or striders or both?  I live in an area with lots of rolling hills.  A few people told me to charge the up hills during my runs, instead of doing track work.  They said it's much less chance of injury.

--------

PR's: 1 mile - 5:59.4 (2023) | 5K - 20:59 (2023) | 5M - 35:42 (2023) | 10K - 45:12 (2024) | 10M - 1:18:33 (2024) | HM - 1:40:04 (2024)

Nice job on the comeback. Don't worry too much about that heart rate, everyone is different. I'm 54 and get up to 170.

If you are getting calf strains then doing speedwork uphill would stress the calves more I would think.

I would do strides on the flat as a gentle introduction to speedwork.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Lots of people have taken a good break from running and came back to it. Don't worry about what you did before your break; focus on the body you have now and don't compare. It's also not helpful to worry about comparing yourself to other people.

If you are logging your runs here on RA, you might consider opening your log to public access. It will help people see what you are doing ad give more tailored advice. The key at this point is to run consistently.

You mention heart rate and say you average around 162 every run. You want most of your runs to be easy; think conversational pace. Could you hold a conversation if someone was running next to you? (Don't race every run.) Mostly easy, sometimes hard. Speed will come as you run more. How many days and how much mileage per week are you running?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

mjhaston

Thanks for the advice.  Your 50+ times are amazing.  And looking at your log, it's not like you're running crazy high milage, but you're definitely running it at a very nice pace!  Awesome.

Nice job on the comeback. Don't worry too much about that heart rate, everyone is different. I'm 54 and get up to 170.

If you are getting calf strains then doing speedwork uphill would stress the calves more I would think.

I would do strides on the flat as a gentle introduction to speedwork.

--------

mjhaston

I'm slowly getting into the mindset of focusing on me just improving my times little by little and feeling more comfortable.  It seems like a lot has changed with training in the time I was away.  I feel like "back in the day" we just went out and ran hard all the time.  I've heard quite a few times about easy runs and conversational pace.  Most of the time I could hold a conversation, but I do push myself a bit.  Probably a reason for the calf strains.  I'm also at a gym (with other old people) 5 days a week.  Cardio/cross training M-W-F and strength training T-Th.  My wife says I'm overdoing it Smile

I just joined the group last night.  I'll start logging my runs.  I try to run every other day, so 3-4 times per week and 3-5 miles per run.  I'm between an 8:30 - 9:00 pace.  It's a bit hilly no matter how far I'm running in my neighborhoods.  Last year I reconnected with a high school teammate and then a college teammate at a few races.  We got together for a few slow 5 mile runs.  It was nice running with others again.  It definitely helps get me out there!

Thank you for the advice.

PS - I've picked up some calf sleeves and they seem to help.  I've been using those or my tights (since it's been cold) or both to try and get away from the strains.

Lots of people have taken a good break from running and came back to it. Don't worry about what you did before your break; focus on the body you have now and don't compare. It's also not helpful to worry about comparing yourself to other people.

If you are logging your runs here on RA, you might consider opening your log to public access. It will help people see what you are doing ad give more tailored advice. The key at this point is to run consistently.

You mention heart rate and say you average around 162 every run. You want most of your runs to be easy; think conversational pace. Could you hold a conversation if someone was running next to you? (Don't race every run.) Mostly easy, sometimes hard. Speed will come as you run more. How many days and how much mileage per week are you running?

--------

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'd say the best thing for you to do is to forget the guy in his 20s that you've been trying to emulate,  That is asking for injury and disappointment. It's fine to run 9 - 10 - 11 minute miles; it's good for you, in fact. Learn to enjoy your golden 50s! Big grin

- One who is a good deal older than you

NASstands

I have questions!

Did anyone else take decades off and come back to running?  How long did it take to feel comfortable again.  Did your speed return?  Did some of it return!?  This is a much slower process than I'd expected! Smile

I'm 58, so my max heart rate is supposed to be 162.  Is it okay if that's usually around my average heart rate during a race and go as high as 180 at times according to my Garmin?

Should I be running intervals or striders or both?  I live in an area with lots of rolling hills.  A few people told me to charge the up hills during my runs, instead of doing track work.  They said it's much less chance of injury.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Welcome back. It is time to set your PR / PB by AG. I will turn 68 on Tuesday 5/9. My goals are simple these days. Make it to the starting line and cross the finish line before the clock is turned off. Stay strong and keep moving forward.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/