First HM report (Read 490 times)

Yeah, I did it. I ran my first HM today in Atlanta's inaugural marathon/half marathon. It was the largest inaugural marathon in US history (15,000 runners). It was so cool to be out there at 7 am with 14999 other runners in Woodruff Park in downtown Atlanta. The race went very well for me. I wore a heart rate monitor and used that to help pace me. In the beginning, I kept my heart rate in the low 140s beats per minute, and then increased it over time so that at the end I was in the mid 160s. I also kept track of my pace and was shooting for a 1:55. I was slightly ahead of that pace the whole way, but I felt very good so I just kept chugging away. According to the chip, I ran the first 10K at an 8:41 pace, and the entire race at a 8:42 pace! How's that for an even pace? I finished in 1:54:16, just ahead of my goal, so I'm very happy. And I feel great now too - no injuries and my knees are only slightly sore. I did not wear my camelbak, and I'm glad I didn't. I practiced drinking from cups the day before while running, so it was easy during the race. My family was supposed to cheer me on at the 3 mile point and the 11 mile point, but the car's battery was dead (how's that for Murphy's Law), so they missed me at the 3 mile point, but they were there at the 11 mile point - when I REALLY needed the lift. With less than 1 mile to go, we passed a church whose bells began to toll (signifying 9 am I guess) - that was awesome - it told me I was almost there. The last 1/4 mile or so is downhill, so I practically sprinted to the finish. What's next? Well, now I'm going to run my first marathon; there's a small one near here in November - I'll probably run that one. Then I plan to run this marathon (ING Atlanta) next year - it goes practically right past my house. Thanks for everyone's advice - you all really helped me to do this!

Gandalf the Grey

Well done - a great achievement. You must be really pleased to hit your target so well (and only sore knees eh?). I look forward to reading your marathon report! Neil Smile

Running ... just keep running!
      Fancy a holiday running in the French Alps?

va

Congratulations on your first HM and on your excellent time!
          Congratulations on a great first half! Big grin
          2009: BQ?
            Congratulations! sounds like a great first half marathon! Big grin
            Jennifer mm#1231
              Congrats on a well-run race! Good, even pacing and ahead of your goal. WTG.
              My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

Princess Cancer Pants

That is REALLY awesome! It's races like that that really feed the addiction! Big grin k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

Imminent Catastrophe

Nice job on a tough course, with unrelenting hills! I ran it today too. Most of the half-marathoners had a great time. The full-marathoners...not so much. We encountered missing aid stations (no water from mile 4 to 10), no Powerade at all, and opressive heat after about 10 a.m. Still, it was a nice running tour of Atlanta and a great experience. I expect they'll have the aid station problems fixed next year, I hope to do it again. Just beware that some things will be the same--the last 5k has a lot of uphill and it gets warm by then, and that's a tough way to finish a marathon. Congrats again.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016