Midnight Calf Cramps (Read 818 times)

~Gordo~

Last night I was awakened by an excrutiating cramp in my right calf. I streched out my leg and rubbed it away and as soon as I laid back down, whammo another one. Now today it feels like someone kicked me in my calf. I eat at least 1 banana a day and a cliff bar (usualy). I think I hydrate well. Anybody know of anything else I can do to keep this from happening again? It was not at all fun. Thanks, ~Gordo
    !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hmm, are you pregnant? Wink That's the last time it happened to me. Ouch!
        Hmm, are you pregnant? Wink That's the last time it happened to me. Ouch!
        Me too! Big grin MTA: I actually had one or two outside of being pregnant, but other than that I got them all the time when I was pregnant. THEY HURT!

Michelle

Prophet!

Last night I was awakened by an excrutiating cramp in my right calf. I streched out my leg and rubbed it away and as soon as I laid back down, whammo another one. Now today it feels like someone kicked me in my calf. I eat at least 1 banana a day and a cliff bar (usualy). I think I hydrate well. Anybody know of anything else I can do to keep this from happening again? It was not at all fun. Thanks, ~Gordo
          I have no suggestion but I've had this happen to me with my right calf as well. I've had nagging trouble with my right calf, never my left, and on those days where it gets pretty tight, it would suddenly cramp up randomly. I did get a free message after race where the guy worked on the right calf most of the time (he picked it up right away), and that took care of the tightness and no random cramping afterwards.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Only time I had them was when I was dehydrated as a kid. Lots of fruits can help besides bananas, I think it gets the nod because it is easy to eat quickly before, during, right after exercise. Do you do calf stretches after your runs? You could also massage them a little bit when you get back, some lactic acid and what not like to hang out down in the calfs.
              See if adding a bit more salt to your diet helps. I run a lot of miles and my cardiologist actually encouraged me to make sure I get enough salt in my diet. If that does not work you might try a general electrolyte tablet or pill like S Caps. Good luck I hope something pans out for you.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I used to get incredible calf cramps in the middle of the night quite frequently. A friend of mine told me about her husband who had the same problem. To help he would place a bar of Ivory soap at the foot of the bed, wrapped up in a pillow case under the sheets. I thought this was the craziest thing going. But still, I tried it. You know, for whatever reason, it stopped my leg cramps. I have given this advice to others, who thought I was crazy but they too tried it and it helped. Maybe its mental, maybe not. But for 3 bars for 99 cents, what do you have to lose.

SMART Approach

Usually happens when dehydrated, electrolyte/nutrient imbalance - generally potassium, calcium or magnesium.....muscle fatigue an lack of sleep are causes. I used to recommend magnesium (when at gym )before bed and members noted very good results. http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_cramp.htm

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com